Official Review: Bare Feet, Chicken Beaks and Blackberry ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Bare Feet, Chicken Beaks and Blackberry ...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bare Feet, Chicken Beaks and Blackberry Pie" by Marti J. Powell Shrigley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Memories, no matter how large or small, by themselves seem insignificant. But when collected and placed in a mental collage, they manifest into an intricate picture of what we call life."

Bare Feet, Chicken Beaks and Blackberry Pie by Marti J. Powell Shrigley is a collection of "modern-day parables." Written in first-person narrative and from a Christian perspective, Shrigley shares memories of her family, childhood mischief, school, holiday celebrations, and life on a farm. She reflects on her feelings as the middle child between two sisters and her struggles with typical sibling rivalry and jealousy, as well as learning acceptance of herself and others. Some chapters are peppered with humorous family anecdotes while others address life’s challenges. Though Shrigley has faced loss and illness, she chooses to focus on the positive while sharing her faith with those she encounters along the way.

With 146 pages and occasional family photographs, this uplifting collection is a relatively short read that I finished in one sitting. While mediocrity is the term Shrigley uses to summarize her life, " ...the middle child of three sisters in the middle of the century to middle-class parents," I found nothing mediocre about the book. It's well-written, exceptionally edited, and entertaining. Shrigley's conversational writing style reads as though she might be sharing her story over a cup of coffee with a friend. Readers will be amused by the mischievous antics of three sisters living on a farm during simpler times, as well as the nicknames Shrigley gives her teenage boyfriends, "Mr. Muscles," and "Green Eyes." Her insight is also impressive; Shrigley describes looking through opposite ends of an old pair of binoculars and offers a poignant comparison of their views with aging and looking back over one's life.

I particularly enjoyed the author's light-hearted approach and positivity despite having faced some formidable challenges in her life. Shrigley is outspoken about her Christian beliefs but doesn't sugarcoat her experiences or flaws, and readers will appreciate her transparency. Shrigley consistently prioritizes sharing her faith with those who cross her path and practices what she preaches by forgiving those who have wronged her.

I honestly can't name a thing I disliked about this inspirational book. I am pleased to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It's a reflective read with a touch of humor--perfect for curling up with on a quiet afternoon. I recommend the book to readers who appreciate Christian memoirs. It will also appeal to those who enjoy stories related to farm life and growing up during the fifties and sixties. On the other hand, readers who dislike reading scriptural references will prefer to pass on this one.

Bare Feet, Chicken Beaks and Blackberry Pie
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

It seems like a great read that holds the author's memories of her family, childhood mischief, school, holiday celebrations, and life on a farm. Nice review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oh I'm definitely intrigued!! Modern day Christian parables? I can't wait to see what the author comes up with! I think parables are a great way to get a point across, but I think we miss some from the Bible because we just don't live in that society any more. Thanks so much for introducing us to this book!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like the author's perspective of writing parables about her experiences on a farm. People who work with the earth often have a different perspective on life. Her positive outlook is also motivating. This book sounds like it would be a good weekend read as you suggest it can be finished in one sitting. Thanks for this wonderful recommendation.
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

I love parables as an entertaining way to convey a life lesson. Combine parables with memoir, and this sounds like an amazing book. I just moved it to the top of my list!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Rose Harebate wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 05:16 It seems like a great read that holds the author's memories of her family, childhood mischief, school, holiday celebrations, and life on a farm. Nice review!
Thanks, Rose.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 08:51 Oh I'm definitely intrigued!! Modern day Christian parables? I can't wait to see what the author comes up with! I think parables are a great way to get a point across, but I think we miss some from the Bible because we just don't live in that society any more. Thanks so much for introducing us to this book!
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 11:06 I like the author's perspective of writing parables about her experiences on a farm. People who work with the earth often have a different perspective on life. Her positive outlook is also motivating. This book sounds like it would be a good weekend read as you suggest it can be finished in one sitting. Thanks for this wonderful recommendation.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

PGreen wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 11:31 I love parables as an entertaining way to convey a life lesson. Combine parables with memoir, and this sounds like an amazing book. I just moved it to the top of my list!
Thanks for your comment.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am drawn to others who are able to speak of the misfortunes in their lives without seeming defeated by them. These types of people are inspiring to be around.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like a well written memoir, but not one I'd want to read. Great review, though!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Jessacardinal wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 15:33 I am drawn to others who are able to speak of the misfortunes in their lives without seeming defeated by them. These types of people are inspiring to be around.
I agree. Thanks for your comment, Jessa.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 16:29 Sounds like a well written memoir, but not one I'd want to read. Great review, though!
Thanks for your comment.
Christal Merkey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 742
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christal-merkey.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
2024 Reading Goal: 4
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Christal Merkey »

This sounds like a good read. I will check it out if I get the opportunity. Thank you for sharing!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

CLM1978 wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 17:40 This sounds like a good read. I will check it out if I get the opportunity. Thank you for sharing!
You're welcome. Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”