Official Review: The Promise of The Orb by Marshall Cobb

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: The Promise of The Orb by Marshall Cobb

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Promise of The Orb" by Marshall Cobb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Freewill is a double-edged sword that may be wielded to save or destroy? Likewise, suppression, although synonymous with ill-treatment and enslavement, can also be used as a weapon for good. But what is good? Also, what is evil? Currently, we are experiencing numerous global crisis that can be correlated to us humans willfully engaging in foolish behaviours and activities. Would the world be a better place if humans were ruled with an iron fist by a wise and powerful authoritarian ruler? Peter Davidson, a thirteen-year-old country boy, found himself on an adventure that would force him to seriously consider these questions.

The Promise of The Orb (The Ascendancy Series Book 1) by Marshall Cobb is an excellent addition to the list of sci-fi/fantasy novels as well as a strong opening to a book series. Our protagonist, Peter, find a mysterious shining red orb in the river bed of the recently damned river near his family farm. He has lost his mother and the damming of the river signals that his family will also lose the farm. However, the orb promises to save his family farm and grant them many more blessings if Peter would help him out as well. The orb even claims that Peter helping him will lead to world peace. So, how exactly those this orb plan to accomplish world peace and most importantly, can his word be trusted?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The work seems to be professionally edited as there were no grammatical or other formatting errors of note. All the characters were portrayed very lifelike. For example, although Governor Jenkins was only a minor character, he was described as a man with ambition for political power and fame but his ‘big mouth’ often worked against him. The governor made the mistake of inquiring about the whereabouts of Peter’s mom during a public event, although he was briefed on her having passed away. The author’s use of imagery in this scene was enough for me to be convinced that this politician is an actual person. Moreover, I found the story well-paced and Cobb’s writing style was suspenseful. There were numerous scenes that I cannot refer to in order to avoid providing spoilers, that had my eyes glued to the story wondering what would happen next. Overall, the story was a fun read.

I cannot say that there was any that I disliked about this novel. However, I found it odd how easy Peter and his friends accepted the existence of the supernatural being that is the orb. I could accept it because it is in the norm in many supernatural/fantasy novels for characters to quickly get over the shock of encountering the supernatural for the first time, in order to progress with the storyline.

In conclusion, I rate The Promise of The Orb 4 out of 4 stars. I could not find any reasons not to honour this book with a perfect rating. I recommend it to persons who are looking for a fun supernatural/fantasy book and or would like to explore the theme freewill versus suppression.

The Promise of The Orb
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

With such a perfect rating, it must be good. I do love a good science fiction, and this sounds wonderful. I almost think I've read it, but I can't confirm that. The story, though, sounds awfully familiar. Anyway, good review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I went and looked back through my list, and sure enough, I have read it! I absolutely thought it was an interesting story. There were a few editing issues when I read it, though. It looks like the author has that cleared up! Glad you enjoyed this one. I thought it sounded familiar. :)
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
HannahKD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahkd.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by HannahKD »

This book sounds quite intriguing! It seems to have a very individual take in terms of the fantasy genre, and you mentioning certain scenes leaving your eyes glued to the page also makes me very curious. I might just have to put this down on my reading list for the future!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I'm very intrigued and wonder what the truth is about the orb and what it can do. Great review!
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Thanks for the great review! You make the story sound very exciting. I will have to add this to my "need to read" category!
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I've always wondered what this book was about. Thanks for the information. The talking orb must have quite an origin story.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

sci-fi is my favorite genre. Nice review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
FlameKat64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flamekat64.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by FlameKat64 »

This is a very strange topic and title of a book. I probably wouldn't have read it, but since I like fantasy and stuff like that so much, I'm willing to give it a try. This is also a very good review, and it made me want to read it.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

This book sounds excellent. I'll be looking out for it to add to my read list.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

This book can be very interesting. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”