Review by FictionLover -- Winning the War on Cancer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Review by FictionLover -- Winning the War on Cancer

Post by FictionLover »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever thought about how cancer medications are developed? Have you wondered how researchers know which medications work best? If you have ever pondered how alternative cancer therapies work and want to know why someone would choose an alternative over chemotherapy, this book is for you.

Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski will answer your questions and more. Beljanski, the daughter of research scientist Mirko Beljanski, has crafted a memoir mixing the non-fiction account of her father’s research and clinical results with her memories of growing up in his shadow and her desire to carry on his legacy. Her style is novel-like in approach. She opens the book with the daunting news that many cancers are on the rise. Despite the fact that the National Cancer Institute has spent $90 billion on cancer research and treatment, cancer is more common than ever. Even childhood cancers are on the rise.

She goes on to explain why food-based supplements will never be patented. Therefore, they could never support the kind of research needed for FDA approval as cancer therapies. The same is true for herbal medications. In my opinion, this brief discussion on how medications come to market and why alternatives will never be pursued by big pharmaceutical companies is worth the price of the book. If you read nothing else, peruse this chapter, and you will be a much savvier consumer.

The remainder of Winning the War on Cancer details several things. Ms. Beljanski describes how her father made his research breakthroughs and why he was arrested by the French government. I was saddened to read that Ms. Beljanski resented her parent’s dedication to their work because she was often ignored by them. However, she gets over her resentment and becomes dedicated to reviving her father’s products. This admission added an emotional edge to the non-fiction part of the narrative. By the end of the book, I had a full understanding of the uses for and the research behind the botanicals Pao pereira and Rauwolfia vomitoria. The stories of the people who had their cancers reversed by these products was very touching. I felt fully involved in Ms. Beljanski's fight to keep these supplements available.

I know that there are skeptics out there. Many will have personal reasons that make them want to defer to the cancer experts who only use chemotherapy or radiation. Others will be on the flipside, having a natural desire to question everything whether it comes from a family member or an expert. As an alternative health care provider myself, I can only say that more information is more power. I recommend this book to all adults, including the skeptics, not to convince them to use therapies that they do not want to use but to expose them to an accurate description of how pharmaceuticals and alternative therapies are viewed and presented to the medical consumer.

I found this book exceptionally well written and edited. I did not notice one grammatical or formatting error. The formatting, which contains quotes, footnotes, photographs, and graphics, was excellent. I don’t think I've ever seen a better-formatted e-book. The research presented was from many sources, including top-notch universities and peer-reviewed journals. This was all packaged in an easy to manage memoir.

There was very little that I did not like in this book. Of course, managing appendices and footnotes in e-books is always a chore, but I can’t detract from her rating for that. I found this book enlightening and important. I rate it a 4 out of 4 stars.

Winning the War on Cancer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like FictionLover's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
nativePlnt5+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by nativePlnt5+ »

I thought the book was well written also and think it should be non-fiction not fiction. Medicines and treatments by "Big Pharm" companies are not interested in alternatives nor investigating them. I think what was done to the Beljanski family was criminal. I think France is not the only country where researchers are being discredited by these companies who are out to make lots and lots of money. Beljanski got good results in testing his research and products on animals and humans with few if any side affects. I hope that the Beljanski Foundation and others can continue to expand their work. I would definitely try these products and treatments. I have had cancer and am in remission but if I get it again I will try them.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I don't read non-fiction but this one is an exception. I would surely want to read this one.
Thanks a lot for the excellent review Fictionlover☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

nativePlnt5+ wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 15:23 I thought the book was well written also and think it should be non-fiction not fiction. Medicines and treatments by "Big Pharm" companies are not interested in alternatives nor investigating them. I think what was done to the Beljanski family was criminal. I think France is not the only country where researchers are being discredited by these companies who are out to make lots and lots of money. Beljanski got good results in testing his research and products on animals and humans with few if any side affects. I hope that the Beljanski Foundation and others can continue to expand their work. I would definitely try these products and treatments. I have had cancer and am in remission but if I get it again I will try them.
France is not the only country that discredits alternative therapies, it happens here, too. For example, Gerson therapy, which is essentially juicing and using some supplements, is illegal here. The therapy has been around for decades, but they had to move their clinic to Mexico.

Also in many states it is illegal to sell raw, non-pasteurized milk at all. In some states it can be sold only for animal consumption. I have heard of organic dairy farmers being raided at gun point in this country.

Also, if you look at how people get enraged over those who choose not to vaccinate, you will see the brain washing in action. We should have freedom of medical choice, but we don't .
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

As a cancer survivor, I am always interested in books about treatments. This sounds like a good read. I like the tone of your review and the point of view that you chose. You sound very passionate about the topic.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

diana lowery wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 08:45 As a cancer survivor, I am always interested in books about treatments. This sounds like a good read. I like the tone of your review and the point of view that you chose. You sound very passionate about the topic.
Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like how the book brings out the disparity between the amounts spent out on research on cancer and the astronomical incidences of cancer that keep cropping up. Thanks for the review.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

You are welcome!
Dylan921
Favorite Book: The Date Farm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dylan921.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Dylan921 »

WOW, I red the sample on amazon and was very impressed with this book. I usually don’t read non-fiction but this was very interesting! Also great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”