What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by Bluebird03 »

I do like the positive note put forth in the title Winning the War on Cancer because it represents how far we have come in the past few years and hope for the future. As a nurse and seeing so many cancer patients (and so many types of cancers in various stages of progression), I did feel like "winning" was a stretch- we aren't there yet. Hopefully soon!
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I think it’s a great title for the book because even if cancer seems bleak, I think it’s important to always look at the bright side of things. I also think that title is inspiring for those who have cancer.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

briellejee wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:58 I am curious as to what your reaction in seeing the title. As for me, I lost loved ones because of cancer; and seeing the "Winning the War on Cancer" as the title of the book made me not want to read the it since it sounded like it claims that its like a done deal, that we are actually winning it when in truth there is only an alternative that may or may not work.

I appreciate the author's intention of being positive using the word "winning", especially to those who are still battling with it. But for me, who had loved ones that lost to the war, it sounded a bit ridiculous to say "winning". I think it could have been "In Trying to Win the War on Cancer". A little longer but at least a bit practical.

What about your thoughts on the title? Do you think it's fine the way it is? Or do you think it gives a bit of false hope to some, especially in the later stages of cancer?
though I understand your thoughts, I feel that the hope associated with winning allows those those who currently have cancer to feel hope themselves. However, as someone who has never had cancer it feels unfitting for me to make a wide comment on the subject.
Laura3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura3.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Laura3 »

I see what you're saying, but the title is very succinct. Readers would have a rough idea of what would be in the book. The title may be misleading to those who desperately want to believe that victory can be certain.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

My mom and aunt both passed away from cancer (pancreatic and stomach respectively) within three weeks of one another, just over five years ago. Three months after their passing, my father was diagnosed with colorectal cancer. He is currently working toward remission after his first reoccurrence with metastasized liver cancer. With that being said, the title of this book does not offend me in any way. If anything, it gives me hope. It gives me hope for my dad. It gives me hope for myself. It gives me hope for the rest of my family. It gives me hope for everyone out there fighting cancer that I have never before met. I believe the title uses the word winning to mean we as a human population are working toward winning the war together for a future free of deadly cancers. We may not directly benefit from it but someone out there will.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

The title is absolutely correct. Surviving from cancer is truly surviving from a war. If someone gets the cure from cancer that means it's a victory. So the word winning is perfect.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
irenebulky
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by irenebulky »

To me, even if it's about false hope, one thing I know and am very excited about is that some has been able to come up with something against cancer. Meaning that there is hope in future and chances of being able to eliminate it completely from our midst. Am supper excited. :P
petreaurel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by petreaurel »

I've not encountered yet people dealing with such, a terrible disease, but I know how devastating it can be, especially when you have no idea how to deal with it. From my personal point of view, the title is a good one because it may sparkle a small light in the hearts of the ones dealing with it.
Timjim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timjim.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Timjim »

A single ray of hope can go a long way in lifting one's spirit. I think the title is very appropriate.
CatlynnHighlights
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catlynnhighlights.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CatlynnHighlights »

I agree that the title turned me off. I've had a lot of family members affected by cancer (whether it be directly or indirectly) and saying that we're "winning the war" seemed as if we're erasing the suffering of those with cancer. I did read further to see if I should change my opinion, however.
Comment on my review and I'll comment on yours. I'm always looking for new books to read!

"..one may smile, and smile, and be a villain." - Shakespeare
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

CatlynnHighlights wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 22:02 I agree that the title turned me off. I've had a lot of family members affected by cancer (whether it be directly or indirectly) and saying that we're "winning the war" seemed as if we're erasing the suffering of those with cancer. I did read further to see if I should change my opinion, however.
Thanks for recognizing my perspective. :tiphat: Did the book change your opinion then?
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

I think the title is appropriate for the book because it is genuine and positive. Lots of people have lost hope, thus, they have stopped fighting but this title is encouraging anyone who is still battling with cancer to keep fighting. There are so many things to fight for in life.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

I was a little put off by the title as well. It made me wonder if the author was just going to be writing a book clapping themselves on the back for something that like you said isn't a "done deal".
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
greenmichellep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenmichellep.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by greenmichellep »

I would say I too found it a hopeful statement if potentially over reaching
AlphasFemale
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Gilded Wolves
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphasfemale.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by AlphasFemale »

The title makes me want to read the book even more. I have even put it on my list to request from my local library. Cancer has largely impacted my life and those of a few friends and family members. A title like this gives me hope, maybe not hope for a final cure but some comrades in the war. Hope that there are others out there that understand and are supportive of what was happening and maybe hope of a way to at least ease the fear and the pain.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”