Review by Jessacardinal -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review by Jessacardinal -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Jessacardinal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Len Foley introduces kids of all ages to the silly, stinky, story found in Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! Sigfried takes readers along on a humorous adventure to solve an unpleasant problem. Through a series of silly considerations, Sigfried and his friends seek to find the source of an overwhelming stench.

This book offers a delightful story that can be read in under five minutes. The amusing expressions on the faces of each of the characters are sure to induce laughter. Parents and teachers of younger children will appreciate the learning opportunities afforded, which cover color recognition and item identification. I like these aspects of the book.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of things I do not like about Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! While some children may enjoy the simplicity of the silly story, the illustrations are lacking. Artistic upgrades, specifically to the background of each page, would drastically improve the overall feel of the story. The author uses two different styles of images throughout the book. Choosing one consistent style would eliminate distractions and further enhance the illustrations.

Furthermore, I have a minor concern regarding the cover of the book. Sigfried graces the cover surrounded by what appear to be girls’ socks. As an adult woman, I feel boys’ socks, or a mix of the two, would be a better representation of Sigfried’s socks. However, I am confident most children wouldn’t bat an eyelash at the current illustration.

Near the end of the book, Sigfried locates the smelly socks. Unfortunately, the smelly socks are missing from the illustration. A round of image edits would prevent errors like this from occurring. Another example occurs near the middle of the book when socks are mentioned in the plural form but illustrated as a single sock.

A focused round of editing would help alleviate misspelled words and lacking or improper punctuation. Additionally, the author attempts to use a rhythmic pattern throughout the story. In the beginning, the rhyming pattern is short but becomes drawn out later in the story. The inconsistent rhyming pattern doesn’t allow the story to flow as smoothly as it could. Moreover, sight words appear in matching font colors. For example, the word red is a red font. However, the blue sock appears to be pink or purple, instead of blue. Oversights such as these, as well as others discussed above, allow for poor learning opportunities for young children.

Due to the errors and issues discussed above, I rate Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! 2 out of 4 stars. Although there is a lot of room for improvement, I whole-heartedly believe children between the ages of two and seven years old will enjoy this witty, twenty-seven-page story.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jessacardinal's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a great review indeed. The flaws you have mentioned such as the different colors of socks from the word that is stated in a sentence can be easily overlooked but the reality is that it affects learning in the kids. Thanks for this.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I've read many reviews on this book, and it seems that there are still quite a number of errors present, which is such a pity, especially in a children's book. Thanks for the honest review.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This was a very constructive review. The errors you mentioned do stand to reason - and while children might "not bat an eyelash" at those, it would be nice to get them rectified.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This is the best critical review I've read about this book. Your low rating is definitely justified. Thorough editing in children's books is just as important as editing in books written for an older audience. Thanks for the candid review. :D
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

Kibetious wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 23:24 This is a great review indeed. The flaws you have mentioned such as the different colors of socks from the word that is stated in a sentence can be easily overlooked but the reality is that it affects learning in the kids. Thanks for this.
I agree. Thank you for the compliment and comments!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

gen_g wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 23:30 I've read many reviews on this book, and it seems that there are still quite a number of errors present, which is such a pity, especially in a children's book. Thanks for the honest review.
Thank you for reading my review. I appreciate it!
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

inaramid wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 20:26 This was a very constructive review. The errors you mentioned do stand to reason - and while children might "not bat an eyelash" at those, it would be nice to get them rectified.
I agree. Thank you for your comment!
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

Ever_Reading wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 12:23 This is the best critical review I've read about this book. Your low rating is definitely justified. Thorough editing in children's books is just as important as editing in books written for an older audience. Thanks for the candid review. :D
Thank you for your comment! I truly appreciate it!!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Children's books should go through more stringent editing. At that age, readers don't yet know right from wrong. It would be catastrophic for them to learn from the "wrong books."
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Hey, you have a really keen eye. Your perspective of the book is quite different from many others. The inconsistencies you point out are very relevant. It is good to give kids a correct, wholesome presentation so they learn right. Thanks for the enlightening review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

You have written a very thorough review. I appreciate your analysis of the illustrations and other items. Good point about the girls' socks on the cover, even though kids might not notice. Maybe girls' socks were chosen because they appear more fun in illustration than tube socks would. Really nice review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”