Official Review: Cold Case Closure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Cold Case Closure

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cold Case Closure" by Patrick I. O'Donnell and Charles O. Gaylor.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cold Case Closure: A Police Procedural Novel by Patrick Ian O'Donnell and Chuck Gaylor is the fictional account of five unsolved cases and the officers working them in the initial investigations, as well as those trying to solve the cases years later. The lack of admissible evidence sufficient for a conviction often requires the release of suspected perpetrators, and as a result, these cold cases may remain unsolved. Will justice be served?

The book is divided into four parts. In the first, readers are introduced to the California Cold Case Taskforce, Sergeant Grant Frazier, and Officer Mike Grayson. The second part establishes the initial investigations of the five cases and the detectives working them. It's difficult to describe the third and fourth parts of the book without revealing plot spoilers. Suffice it to say, a series of events unfolds intertwining the cases and characters from the previous parts of the book.

As a crime-story lover and fan of shows like Law and Order and CSI, this book was right up my alley. I particularly liked the first part of the book that introduced the characters of the law enforcement involved. The authors' strength was creating well-developed characters, especially Grant Frazier and Mike Grayson. The following excerpt from the book, though specifically referring to Grant, exemplifies the dedication of the two men working the taskforce making them relatable to readers. "There was something about working an unsolved murder case, identifying the killer, and seeing it all the way through to a successful prosecution that gave him a feeling of satisfaction that was unmatched by any other aspect of Grant's law enforcement work."

Unfortunately, I found the authors' inability to keep several of the characters' names straight quite distracting. In one instance, an officer's name was given as Clayton Jones, and then on the following page, his first name was suddenly Stuart. In another example, the suspect was known to law enforcement only by an alias, but later, the officer referred to him using his actual first name and the alias last name. It was confusing and frustrating to read. In each instance, I had to stop, go back, and reread to clarify which character was being described.

Additionally, portions of the plot lagged, causing me to lose interest. The book is also in need of professional editing as I noted numerous errors including incomplete sentences. For all of the above reasons, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. Despite these issues, it has an interesting premise and potential to earn a higher rating after a thorough round of editing. I recommend the book to readers who enjoy mysteries and crime stories. It will also appeal to fans of CSI and Law and Order.

Cold Case Closure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
chewy4uto
Currently Reading: Betrayal of Justice
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto »

Not sure I would enjoy this one. I do occasionally like a good crime book. But this one sounds like it is lacking in more than one area. I will pass for now.
Thank-you for your review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

chewy4uto wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 02:32 Not sure I would enjoy this one. I do occasionally like a good crime book. But this one sounds like it is lacking in more than one area. I will pass for now.
Thank-you for your review.
Thanks for your comment.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

You always get me with the comparison to the favorite tv shows! Looks like you did your own detective work with the name changes. This book might be frustrating, but I appreciate your recommendations. I might try it anyway. Cold cases interest me and the title really caught my attention. Thanks for your interesting review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 09:53 You always get me with the comparison to the favorite tv shows! Looks like you did your own detective work with the name changes. This book might be frustrating, but I appreciate your recommendations. I might try it anyway. Cold cases interest me and the title really caught my attention. Thanks for your interesting review.
I do love a good crime show! :) I appreciate your comment.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I was looking forward to reading this book until I got to the part of your review mentioning the character mix-ups and a slow plot. What a bummer!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, it sounds like the author has some work to do before this is ready for consumption. It sounds somewhat interesting, but I won't read it in its current form. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Jessacardinal wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 11:48 I was looking forward to reading this book until I got to the part of your review mentioning the character mix-ups and a slow plot. What a bummer!
Thanks for your comment, Jessa.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 13:09 Well, it sounds like the author has some work to do before this is ready for consumption. It sounds somewhat interesting, but I won't read it in its current form. Thanks for the information.
Thanks for your comment.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I'm a big fan of CSI and Law & Order. But I think I'll wait until the book undergoes judicious editing and proofreading. I enjoyed your engaging and candid review. Thanks, Cecilia! :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 15:24 I'm a big fan of CSI and Law & Order. But I think I'll wait until the book undergoes judicious editing and proofreading. I enjoyed your engaging and candid review. Thanks, Cecilia! :tiphat:
Thank you, Ruba.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I like crime thrillers and was gearing up for this book until I got to the name mixup and poor editing. The incomplete sentences would really drive me up the wall! I dont know if I'm wrong by asserting that much as self-publishing has helped many authors realize their goals, it has opened the door to publishing books with errors. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

How disappointing. I, too, like crime stories. But if the author can't keep the characters' names straight, I know I would be lost. Thanks for the thorough review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I can understand your confusion about the characters. It really is frustrating when you read books wherein authors seem like confused themselves. Nice review tho!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Cotwani wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 17:36 I like crime thrillers and was gearing up for this book until I got to the name mixup and poor editing. The incomplete sentences would really drive me up the wall! I dont know if I'm wrong by asserting that much as self-publishing has helped many authors realize their goals, it has opened the door to publishing books with errors. Great review!
Thank you for your comment.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”