Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater [February 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pixiestyx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiestyx.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater [February 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by pixiestyx »

Glad to hear this is an easy-to-read book that will thrill fans of historical fiction. Lots of details, action, and suspense. I'm not a fan of the genre, but I'm sure your review will help readers who do enjoy the genre in deciding whether to read this or not. Great job!
JenniferIsle
Currently Reading: Fix
Bookshelf Size: 1082

Post by JenniferIsle »

A fictional war story that engages fictional characters with historical figures makes the story compelling. The strong bond between two main characters adds additional depth to the story. The love story story surrounding Jacko and his love interest adds a slice of spice to the story.
I highly recommend people read this exciting book.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I agree with the guitar part. I tried it.

It seems that Cairo is dangerous because of full of strangers.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
BeautySuzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautysuzy.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BeautySuzy »

Thanks for the review !
I like how the author devised the characters and details in the novel. Historical fiction is not my preferred type though.
Good luck!
Think outside of the books.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting spy story surrounding WWII. It was definitely worth a second look. Well done.
Ms_Bookworm
Currently Reading: Chrome Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-bookworm.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Ms_Bookworm »

This is a fantastic review - it's clear to that you enjoyed the book and your enthusiasm really shines through. I'm enthralled with Egyptian art and culture as well, so this sounds right up my alley. Your description of James and Jack makes me want to read on so that I can join them on their journey. :techie-studyingbrown:
Aliblinks
Currently Reading: More Heavens Than One
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Aliblinks »

I am not really a fan to war, reading a book on war is like engaging in it.
handsomeVampire
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by handsomeVampire »

This review is beautifilly well written and it's such a good reference for folks like me who are beginners at writing books reviews, and the book seems interesting . I'd like to thank the author of the book and the one who reviewed it ♡
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like that the book focuses on efforts being taken to quell troublesome spots in the world, such as Syria and Lebanon. The reference to the lead characters embarking on intelligence gathering in Egypt is also something worth reading about, so are the references to cultural sites in Egypt. Nice review.
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

I'm not a fan of historical fiction, but the fact that the book is fast paced and contain mysterious crime, and adventures have piqued my interest. Interesting review.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater deserves its place as Book of the Day again. It features Australian spy agents working against the Nazi troops under Rommel in the African battle fronts in World War 2. Fans of World War II historical fiction are transported to Syria and Lebanon and then to Egypt. Many of the books on World War II are focused on Europe. It's refreshing to read about the Middle East and African battlefronts in that theater of war. Also, it's good to read about how the war impacted other countries like Australia and how they helped in bringing down the Nazis. Rosemary Wright conveys well the good qualities of this fiction and why she enjoyed the book. This thriller is about two Australian spies who were assigned in Cairo, Egypt, to track down and neutralize German operatives in contact with Nazi commander Rommel at the North African and Middle East front of the war. In the first few pages, James and Jack are under fire from troops of the pro-Nazi French Vichi army. Here's hoping the book reaches many more readers!
Sh3rlockian
Currently Reading: The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Sh3rlockian »

Excellent review! You really captured the elements that make this book an exceptional historical fiction addition to my TBR pile! Historical setting, suspenseful tone, and quick wit writing styles are feasts of entertainment for readers of all audiences. Well done to the author on today's BOTD recognition!
AlphasFemale
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Gilded Wolves
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphasfemale.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by AlphasFemale »

As someone who is not a big fan of historical books I probably would not be all that interested in this one. The one thing that dose get my attention is the fact that it is in Cairo Egypt. I actually am really interested in stuff that takes place in Egypt so that may be this book's redeeming factor.
jlan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by jlan »

I've read series of books in recent time but as for this book the story is so fascinating. It is because were they send them. Haven't read extensively on Egypt about its rich culture and historical background sending those men (James and Jack) there especially as intelligence.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

The Warramunga's War, written by Greg Kater. War, patriotism, adventure, spies are together is a powerful effect which it will leave in readers heart. No doubt it's a good story.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Historical Fiction”