Official Review: Luck is Just the Beginning by Celeste Leon

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Luck is Just the Beginning by Celeste Leon

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Luck is Just the Beginning" by Celeste Leon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ramón León Carrasquillo is a 19-year-old Puerto Rican American. On November 17, 1944, he sees a number in the sky. He decides to buy a full sheet of tickets in the Puerto Rican lottery with all his savings. He bets the number he saw in the sky and hits the jackpot. He takes this as a sign from God for him to keep a promise he made years ago to Doctor Roberts. Roberts is the dentist who saved 8-year-old Ramón from a tooth infection. The dentist had the desire to open a clinic in Ramón’s village but fell ill. Hours before the dentist died, Ramón promised that when he grew up, he would carry the old man’s vision through. When word of his fortune spreads, villagers travel from far and near to see Ramón and ask for money. Ramón has another problem on his hands. His number was the same number a rich merchant, Señor Trujillo, had played for years. Señor Trujillo failed to play that number only on the day Ramón won with it. The merchant is now out for revenge and will not rest until he gets what he believes is his.

Ramón plans to move to the USA to study dentistry at Michigan State University. Achieving this dream will turn out to be harder than Ramón anticipated. He falls in love, faces rejection, gets his heart broken, and even spends a night in jail. A coming-of-age story, Luck is Just the Beginning is about a young boy determined to change his life and his village for the better.

Luck is Just the Beginning is the debut historical fiction novel by Celeste León. It is based on the true story of her father, Ramón León. Celeste León was named one of the “Top Ten New Latino Authors of 2017” by LatinoStories.com and the Latina Book Club of New York. She has also had her short stories published in the well-known Chicken Soup for the Soul series. It took reading only a few chapters of Luck is Just the Beginning to realize that León is deserving of the many accolades she has received over the years.

León tells her father's story in a poignant and humble way. She weaves fiction and fact together so well, it's almost impossible to tell where the one ends and the other begins. I was immediately transported to the village of Maunabo, in Puerto Rico, as it was in 1944. The 350 pages of this unique tale evoked a plethora of emotions within me, from love and laughter to frustration and despair.

The main themes in the book are luck, perseverance, family, forgiveness, and faith. The real antagonist in the story is circumstance. Most of the conflict that arises between characters ultimately stems from the poverty and dire situations they find themselves in. Señor Trujillo is a prime example of this. At first, I despised him for his obsession with ruining Ramón’s life, simply because Ramón won the lottery and he didn’t. Yet, as Señor Trujillo's story unfolded, I began to understand the roots of his desperation and anger. By the end of the book, I felt deeply sorry for him and his family.

Ramón Carrasquillo was perfect as a protagonist. It was an absolute joy to witness his transformation from a confused and impulsive boy, into a mature, driven and selfless young man. His persistence, courage, commitment, and willingness to succeed made me fall in love with him and his story. One time, after Ramón spent more than 20 hours working on his English essay, his professor accused him of cheating. Professor Rolf felt the essay was simply too good to have been written by Ramón. Nervous but determined, Ramón defended himself in front of the board at the disciplinary hearing. When he walked out victorious, I felt I had won as well, in some way. He was larger than life, a hero of sorts.

The book’s strongest point is the attention that was paid to detail. Every single character had substance. No one was simply included for the sake of moving the plot along. The same can be said about the setting and the era in which the story is set. The book aptly captured the soul and the spirit of that tumultuous period just before World War II ended. To my delight, the book was devoid of any glaring inaccuracies or anachronisms. The author also included actual pictures of Ramón and his family at the end. This added a realistic touch to the book

I rate Luck is Just the Beginning 4 out of 4 stars. A more accurate rating would be 3.5 out of 4 because the book contained a few editing errors. However, I chose to round the number up as these can be considered trivial, given the length of the book.

Other than that, there is nothing that I did not like about this book. I recommend it to young readers of historical fiction and romance. Please note that the characters in the novel are Catholic. As a result, the book has a religious undertone. Readers opposed to that might find references to religion distracting.

I look forward to reading more works by this author.

Luck is Just the Beginning
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ever_Reading's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

It's a shame that his good fortune had to be so overshadowed by greed and (apparently) racism as well. I wish we lived in a world where they didn't exist so that people, especially young people trying to improve their lives and those of others wouldn't have to fight against them. Biographical books really aren't my forte so I probably won't be reading this one, but I did enjoy reading your in-depth review. Thanks!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I like the fact that every character had a major part to play and was not just included to move the plot along. Nice review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite intriguing. I would love to see a number in the sky and subsequently win the lottery. However, I would be the one that didn't play that number on that day and not win anything. Still, I don't think this is a book I would appreciate despite the great themes. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story is very interesting. I like that the plot has depth and characterization is strong enough. Thanks for this interesting review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"León tells her father's story in a poignant and humble way. She weaves fiction and fact together so well, it's almost impossible to tell where the one ends and the other begins. I was immediately transported to the village of Maunabo, in Puerto Rico, as it was in 1944. The 350 pages of this unique tale evoked a plethora of emotions within me, from love and laughter to frustration and despair."
This sounds like a wonderful read, and I would have overlooked it if I hadn't read your great review. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Kelyn wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 02:23 It's a shame that his good fortune had to be so overshadowed by greed and (apparently) racism as well. I wish we lived in a world where they didn't exist so that people, especially young people trying to improve their lives and those of others wouldn't have to fight against them. Biographical books really aren't my forte so I probably won't be reading this one, but I did enjoy reading your in-depth review. Thanks!
Most definitely. Our world may not yet be ideal, but I think we've made major strides in the right direction. Glad you enjoyed the review. Thanks for dropping by! :D
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Sweet Psamy wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 07:25 I like the fact that every character had a major part to play and was not just included to move the plot along. Nice review.
That always makes a book more relatable and realistic. Thanks for commenting :wink:
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

kandscreeley wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 09:15 This sounds quite intriguing. I would love to see a number in the sky and subsequently win the lottery. However, I would be the one that didn't play that number on that day and not win anything. Still, I don't think this is a book I would appreciate despite the great themes. Thanks!
I'm with you there. :lol2: Winning the lottery definitely wouldn't hurt. Then again, I don't have much luck with luck either.
Thanks for dropping by! :)
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 11:51 The story is very interesting. I like that the plot has depth and characterization is strong enough. Thanks for this interesting review.
I loved the book and writing the review was an absolute pleasure. Thanks for your kind comments. :tiphat:
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

SamSim wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 09:31
"León tells her father's story in a poignant and humble way. She weaves fiction and fact together so well, it's almost impossible to tell where the one ends and the other begins. I was immediately transported to the village of Maunabo, in Puerto Rico, as it was in 1944. The 350 pages of this unique tale evoked a plethora of emotions within me, from love and laughter to frustration and despair."
This sounds like a wonderful read, and I would have overlooked it if I hadn't read your great review. Thanks!
The book was wonderful. I hope you get around to reading it. I'm glad you liked the review. Thank you! :D
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I loved your description of Ramon's character transformation. Thanks for the great review!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly a really interesting book. Thanks for the nice and descriptive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like the fact that you are given enough insight into the 'villain' to have compassion for him. Everyone has reasons for the way they behave.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Lottery numbers in the sky - what a fantastic premise for a story! Sounds like a beautifully written tale by a very talented author. Great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”