What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Lily Caramel
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B06W9N897D

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by Lily Caramel »

The title would probably be far more effective if it was HOW TO WIN THE WAR ON CANCER. That would immediately make it personal. However, there is no 'WAR' on Cancer, any more than there's a 'WAR' on drugs, or alcohol or immigrants. That word "WAR', it's a red flag, isn't it? Far better the word HEALING. And if the words healing or curing (or any synonyms thereof) are not in the title, why on earth would anyone want to buy the book? Who cares about more "WAR' when there are more positive things to achieve in life?
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

At first, I thought it was inspirational like we can beat this thing. I thought it was positive, but after reading your post, I'm having second thoughts. My commiserations.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Jacquelyn-63
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacquelyn-63.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Jacquelyn-63 »

At first glance I thought it was a life story about someone and their fight with cancer. Reading the summary though changed my opinion of the title. I love the hope that her wording brings, but at the same time I do see why this could be a controversial title. There are so many that fight and lose this battle. Hopefully one day we can share the authors sentiments.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Lily Caramel wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 07:09 The title would probably be far more effective if it was HOW TO WIN THE WAR ON CANCER. That would immediately make it personal. However, there is no 'WAR' on Cancer, any more than there's a 'WAR' on drugs, or alcohol or immigrants. That word "WAR', it's a red flag, isn't it? Far better the word HEALING. And if the words healing or curing (or any synonyms thereof) are not in the title, why on earth would anyone want to buy the book? Who cares about more "WAR' when there are more positive things to achieve in life?
Ahhh that is true. This is such a fresh and new perspective to ponder. Indeed, why say "War" when it could be healing. I guess what the author meant of "war" is not the scientific aspect of the cure and disease but also about the legal procedures in pharmaceuticals. I think, as what the book also showed, it's a "war" between the big companies who are trying to silence the natural traditional side in order to gain more money. Thanks for this insight though! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Joe Hadithi wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 08:17 At first, I thought it was inspirational like we can beat this thing. I thought it was positive, but after reading your post, I'm having second thoughts. My commiserations.
Thank you for taking my thoughts into consideration! :tiphat:
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

I have not lost any loved ones directly to cancer, however I have had several family members with cancer, and I would say the title is fitting for the book. It is a constant battle between cancer patients and Big Pharma medications or treatments. If there is a way to win against these companies, I think it’s a positive are for this book to be confident in the title to say winning vs trying to win or some other alternative.
ZipIsHere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zipishere.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by ZipIsHere »

Honestly, I didn't think much of the title until you said something but it also could have been called "Fighting The War on Cancer" perhaps.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

ZipIsHere wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 11:01 Honestly, I didn't think much of the title until you said something but it also could have been called "Fighting The War on Cancer" perhaps.
Thanks for putting my thoughts into consideration. :tiphat: Yes, I do agree that sounds good enough than the current one. :)
Ttarantelli
Currently Reading: A Killer's Mind
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttarantelli.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ttarantelli »

Cancer does not always turn out as a "Win", but I feel like the title gives hope that researchers, patients, and doctors are continuing the battle against cancer.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

"Winning the war" is a catchy term that grabs the audience's attention and certainly makes a strong impact. However, to me, it sounds a little bit... vindictive.

But it's still appropriate though, as the book focuses on the research and medicine aspects, not the personal stories.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Ritchie Mee

Post by Ritchie Mee »

The topic sends a wrong message to the layman... Seeing it made it seem as though cancer has been defeated or eradicated. The title ought to have been something along the line of surviving cancer or war against cancer... I for one don't think people want to read a book that isn't telling them the reality of things from its title.
Lily Caramel
Reading Device: B06W9N897D

Post by Lily Caramel »

Interesting comments on this post ... I didn't realise that the book was actually about the author's father's legal battle with Pharmaceutical companies (who legally oppose natural alternative cures that are competing with their drugs on the market). The word 'war' is still inappropriate ... how about "Challenging Cancer and Winning" (although I do not know if anyone did win/ achieve anything and if it will feature in this book). The main point is that the title should give a real indication of the content - in a positive way so that it induces customers to purchase and read it.
Sohail4944

Post by Sohail4944 »

First of all i didn’t read the book yet but title of the book says in my point of view that no one in this world sent by The God without any reason... Every moment of all creation of God is fully planned by The God...
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

SpencerVo wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 01:30 "Winning the war" is a catchy term that grabs the audience's attention and certainly makes a strong impact. However, to me, it sounds a little bit... vindictive.

But it's still appropriate though, as the book focuses on the research and medicine aspects, not the personal stories.
But, ah, the book also includes the personal stories of the author, including her father. I do agree that it is quite vindictive. :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

ZipIsHere wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 11:01 Honestly, I didn't think much of the title until you said something but it also could have been called "Fighting The War on Cancer" perhaps.
Yes! That would've been a great title! Thanks for voicing out! :tiphat:

PS. I like your avatar! :wink2:

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”