What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by briellejee »

Sh3rlockian wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 12:30 It's true. First impressions have a major impact, especially for readers and book titles. This title can be interpreted many different ways (as most titles will do), depending on your unique experience with cancer. I only hope that those fighting that terrible fight will be able to come out with a "win" of their own.
I do agree with you. I can see here a variety of impressions. I hope that too. Thanks for sharing your views! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Hturknett wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 11:17 Personally, I think the title is very fair. As science and technology have progressed, we have been able to invent new ways to help those suffering with cancer. While it may still be a long, long battle ahead of us, we have made tremendous progress. It’s a slow win but I feel we are still winning.
I do see your point, however, that in the eyes of someone who has lost those they loved to cancer, it could be sort of mocking in a way. It is definitely something that should have been taken into consideration and possibly tweaked to drive the authors point across better.
Thank you for having an open mind in taking my point into consideration. There will always be pros and cons, always two sides of the coin. BUt i also agree that it's a slow win, progress is progress. We will get there someday :) :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

mamilla93 wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 19:17 I like the title. I don't think it means that we won the battle, but the process of battle, like looking at how far we have come in this war.
That's a new and nice way to see it. Thanks for voicing this out! :tiphat:
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BeatrixPotter »

The title seems to imply that a natural cure will be cause of winning the war on cancer. While great strides have been made recently in the war on cancer, most of the progress has been not been connected with a natural cure. So it may be misleading to readers in that respect.
"There's so much more to a book than just the reading."
-- Maurice Sendak
kristenb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristenb.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by kristenb »

I think the title gives people hope as well as grabbing their attention. Unfortunately, cancer is so common now a days, I believe people will look for hope.
Book lover 1017

Post by Book lover 1017 »

I think it’s a good title because it tells you what the book is about and to see how the book is
Mr Justin
Favorite Book: Sky in June
Currently Reading: Russia's Biggest Hack
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-justin.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mr Justin »

After reading the Book, the title “Winning war on Cancer” was not appropriate as it give false hopes of the still ranging war on the deadly disease. The ideal title would have been: “War on Cancer. “

The author, whose father was a biologist who made great strides in tackling the deadly disease, wrote the book based on her biological father’s work . In short, Sylvie Belijanski’s objective of writing the book was to glorify her father’s great contribution to the raging war on cancer.

The book’s title is also deceptive and designed to attract more readers, and indeed the author achieved her objective.

In view of the foregoing, I would conclude that the title gives false hopes to the readers in times when not only many people are battling with the disease, researchers are working tireless hard to discover the cure, but also when the disease is at the peak of its devastating effects.
ChydeanmahE95
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

As someone who is very scared of being sick with cancer, I must say the title of the book makes me curious about how exactly the cancer battle will be won. Is there a cure that the author wishes to bring to our notice? Is it a marketing strategy?

The title definitely catches my attention.
akande
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by akande »

I don't know anyone with cancer, but I see it on news and TV ; so I am quite aware of how merciless it is, how it has claim life of many.
So to me the title means people out there are not sleeping- I mean working on it. and it makes me want to know how far they have gone.
safah26121990
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-safah26121990.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by safah26121990 »

Cancer has been a loss to many. when I read the title at first, it gave me a sense of hope, but then I felt it was a little ridiculous, even insulting; thinking about all the people I've lost from cancer, and all the people still suffering from cancer. I think the title should be a tad more realistic; maybe, "An attempt to win the war on cancer" or something of the kind.
Stephp444
Currently Reading:

Post by Stephp444 »

I don’t think it’s the meaning of the title that’s the problem, but instead it’s the wording which feels a bit awkward.
ashash2013
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul

Post by ashash2013 »

to me someone who has family members who some survived and some so lucky, the title " winning the war on cancer" sound like a good book. As to it might have more info about the topic.....
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Mr Justin wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 06:06 After reading the Book, the title “Winning war on Cancer” was not appropriate as it give false hopes of the still ranging war on the deadly disease. The ideal title would have been: “War on Cancer. “

The author, whose father was a biologist who made great strides in tackling the deadly disease, wrote the book based on her biological father’s work . In short, Sylvie Belijanski’s objective of writing the book was to glorify her father’s great contribution to the raging war on cancer.

The book’s title is also deceptive and designed to attract more readers, and indeed the author achieved her objective.

In view of the foregoing, I would conclude that the title gives false hopes to the readers in times when not only many people are battling with the disease, researchers are working tireless hard to discover the cure, but also when the disease is at the peak of its devastating effects.
I do agree with your thoughts. And I strongly agree that the title's objective was to attract readers - as titles should be; but then again, this isn't just any book that needs to be sold, the topic of this book affected a lot of people, and for them blatantly saying "winning the war on cancer" when it's not a done deal was just insensitive on my part, and for many of us as well. Thanks for voicing out! Glad to know there are others who understand my thoughts. :tiphat:
Nasirkhan122ko

Post by Nasirkhan122ko »

The title is wrong, they should give title cancer is hope. :roll2:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I think this book is the message of hope for those who are struggling with this maniac and for those who are watching their loved ones going to die with this disease. So for me, the title is quite optimistic and encouraging for cancer patients.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”