Review by Shrabastee -- The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review by Shrabastee -- The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A few anchoring points in life are often necessary to properly orient ourselves. Lacking these strings, we tend to drift like a piece of paper caught in the wind. Gary Robinson’s life had probably been something akin to that before he chanced to meet Duke Reynolds, the famous sword-swallower. The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid is the life story of the author himself. The character of Duke Reynolds was based on Don Leslie, his real-life acquaintance. The book consists of three parts, the first two narrating the lives of Duke and Gary, respectively. The final part shows their friendship and the resultant profound change in Gary’s previously aimless life.

While reading, every moment felt like a new adventure. I started each new page without knowing whether the end of that page would find me smiling or in tears. I frequently pondered how it would feel to experience such a colorful and eventful life.

This, however, does not mean that life was rosy for Duke and the other sideshows. Robinson provides ample glimpses into the stark reality behind the engaging performances the circus offers. For instance, the performers cannot even spare a single moment mourning the demise of their fellows, because “the show must go on.” Moreover, it was disconcerting to see the circus authorities giving out free methamphetamine to the employees to help them cope with the back-breaking schedule.

The humorous instances adorning Duke and Gary’s lives provided a significant contrast to the otherwise grim circumstances. A couple of times, I could not even decide whether to be annoyed at their reckless behavior or be amused at their jokes.

The descriptions of sword-swallowing deserve particular mention. To the author’s credit, I never found these scenes repetitive. Every time the act was described, I found myself holding my breath, praying for Duke’s safety.

Characterization was undoubtedly a strong feat of this book. Duke is one of those people who can excel at anything they decide to try. Gary himself describes the sword-swallower as the embodiment of self-reliance. I liked his notions of God and the scriptures. I admired his logical mind and risk-taking behavior. However, one thing I absolutely could not tolerate was his addiction to meth. However, no matter how imperfect and flawed Duke was, he was a reliable and sincere friend. I also experienced a deep sense of sympathy for Gary, our other protagonist. As a troubled kid, he was in the clutches of alcohol. Throughout the book, I was pining to see him achieve some control over his life.

The best part about the book was the utter honesty Robinson’s accounts exuded. Gary related his reckless life without any inhibition. He vowed to take up writing in the hope of changing someone else’s life, and he remained truthful to his promises.

I do not have many negative points to mention. The narrative relating Duke’s life sounded a little flat compared to the second part of the book. In addition, the author incorporated a couple of page-long quotes that could have been presented in a more easy-to-grasp way. However, those aspects did not at all detract from my reading experience.

This book deserves 4 out of 4 stars. Very few typing errors suggest it was professionally edited. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys memoirs and character-driven books. However, most readers would find the instances of alcohol and drug abuse bothersome. Additionally, devout believers of God might be offended by Duke’s concepts. Apart from those, this book has been a very fulfilling read.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it sounds like a fascinating glimpse into the world of sideshow which most of us inky see from the outside.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Helen_Combe wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 18:26 Great review, it sounds like a fascinating glimpse into the world of sideshow which most of us inky see from the outside.
Exactly so, Helen! Thanks for the comment.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I enjoyed this book so much more than I anticipated. Like you, I wasn't sure how each section would end. I'm glad I gave it a chance. Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

It creats an intrest within me to read the book after reading your review. The review is neat and detial. Thanks for the review. The storyline of the book is beautifully explained.
---
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

A few anchoring points in life are often necessary to properly orient ourselves. Lacking these strings, we tend to drift like a piece of paper caught in the wind.
I'm impressed by those words. So profound! Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Circus is getting extinct due to modernisation. I remember watching a circus when I was only 7 years of old. The book gives an insight into the lives of people related to circus. Sounds like a touching book. Hope to read it one day. Thanks for the review.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

However, most readers would find the instances of alcohol and drug abuse bothersome. Additionally, devout believers of God might be offended by Duke’s concepts. Apart from those, this book has been a very fulfilling read.
I actually have quite the opposite view on this topic. I understand that addictions are not an easy subject to talk about, but I think it's important to acknowledge them, as well as the hardships that addicts go through and the consequences they have.
I agree that the characters are very well-developed and the wit and humor of some parts of the book make it quite enjoyable.
I loved your introductory phrase in this review, amazing as always.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

While reading, every moment felt like a new adventure.
couldn't agree more despite absurd adventures Gary had as a collage kid. Thank you for your valuable opinion! :tiphat:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This book gives us an inkling of the life of circus workers. I too am turned off of too much drug use in a book, but there seem more to the story. Thanks for your review.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Lunastella wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 20:08
However, most readers would find the instances of alcohol and drug abuse bothersome. Additionally, devout believers of God might be offended by Duke’s concepts. Apart from those, this book has been a very fulfilling read.
I actually have quite the opposite view on this topic. I understand that addictions are not an easy subject to talk about, but I think it's important to acknowledge them, as well as the hardships that addicts go through and the consequences they have.
I agree that the characters are very well-developed and the wit and humor of some parts of the book make it quite enjoyable.
I loved your introductory phrase in this review, amazing as always.
I agree. Without acknowledging the issue, one can't begin healing or working upon it!
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
R Benedicta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-benedicta.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by R Benedicta »

2. Robinson's writing style is vivid and descriptive, bringing the characters and their experiences to life.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”