Review by Jaime Lync -- Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Review by Jaime Lync -- Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Will of The Hill" by Marshall Cobb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Will of the Hill by Marshall Cobb is a story that I believe you will find steeped in good humour. Will is a ten-year-old boy, who lives in a small town. The only school is high on a steep hill, which is really a mountain and the only way to make it to school is to catch the school bus equipped with a rocket engine. However, Will has been assigned to sit on the bus next to Gertrude, the school’s most successful tattle-tail. Gertrude has earned herself the nickname, Intrude. Not surprisingly, she has intruded into Will’s life and has made it very unpleasant. How long will Will be subject to Gertrude’s intrusion?

This was a very brief but fun reading experience. The book was composed of a little over a hundred pages, sectioned into eleven chapters. Despite the brevity of the book, all the characters were well-developed, even side-characters that were there mainly for comic relief. This was achieved with the employment of effective imagery, allowing the reader to know background information on the characters, and very realistic dialogues sprinkled into the narrative. There was even some suspense about what would happen at the end. I especially enjoyed the smooth pacing of the story. This was complemented by the book having no significant formatting or grammatical errors.

Moreover, I liked that there were a few important themes throughout the book. One of such themes was friendship. Will and his best friend, Dillon experienced a crisis that taught me a lesson on the importance of communication. There were also lessons on the importance of hygiene and hard-work. Since this is a children’s book, I was glad that the author was mindful to impart valuable lessons on his target audience.

I do not really have any faults to point out about this book. I only wish I knew more about the mysterious hill. The author made it clear that there is some secret behind the school on the hill and the hill itself. However, since this is the first book in a series, I hope that the second book will shed more light on the mystery of the Hill.

Will of the Hill is a children’s book, but I highly recommend it to persons of all ages. This is a witty read, with memorable characters. I am pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Will of The Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Getting roller coaster rides to school and back daily must be a treat! I can also recall an Intrude in my pupil days. This book seems to be an enjoyable trip down memory lane. Girls and boys, come join the fun!

Thanks for the engaging review, Jaime!
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thank you for such a thorough review! I work in a school, and I laughed at the idea of a school bus with rocket engines! This also sounds like a book I might recommend to classrooms. Thanks, again!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hayley2-0 »

Sometimes even children's books can teach us the most important lessons. I hope Will was able to escape Gertrude's intrusion. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”