Review by Allyseria -- Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Review by Allyseria -- Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by Allyseria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of Zots and Xoodles is written by Zarqnon the Embarrassed. It follows Theodil as he stands before a committee, explaining about what was before the universe. But as he explains how parameters such as time, light and gravity are developed, the congregation grows increasingly angrier as they criticise and debates every point that Theodil makes. Altogether, the book uses an amusing and deductive framework to present the complex hypothetical factors mentioned above into a simplified domain where the concepts can be more fully explored.

The book is written in the third person and most of the dialogue at the beginning is written with fun and catchy rhymes. For example, ‘They look like spots. Let’s call them Zots. We’re so impressed with these dot-like Zots.’ I really liked that the book used simple and repetitive rhymes because I do not have a strong knowledge of dark matter, so the slow pacing helped me to follow along with Theodil’s complex explanations. I also loved the conversational dialogues between Theodil and the committee, and the way they kept battling back and forth with their debate.

The illustrations in the book were also very simple and well-presented. It helped to visualise the explanations so the readers could follow along with Theodil’s explanations better. I also liked that as the explanations grew more complex, the readers were given more illustrations.

However, just halfway into the book, the rhymes staggered. I found this confusing because the explanations became increasingly complex, therefore, I would have expected more repetitiveness and more rhymes. However, it was the exact opposite. Not only that, but the book became more fast-paced. As I was used to the slow and easy pace of the book at the beginning, this sudden change was shocking and I struggled to follow along.

Overall, I have to rate the book two out of four stars. There were many editing errors in the book and the sudden change in pacing and information was overwhelming. I would recommend it to those who are interested in reading about the various dynamics that may have taken part in the rendering of the universe, however, to those who do not have a basic understanding of dark matter, multiple time frames and constants in gravity and light, this book will go right over their head. The book also uses advanced vocabulary and very complex hypothetical factors, so I would not recommend it to children.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Allyseria's review? Post a comment saying so!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

At first I thought this was a book for children because of the rhymes.To be honest though, I don't know if I would enjoy this book. The explanation of the different elements of light, time gravity and so on sounds intriguing. However, it also sounds like a debate that I am not particularly ready to invest myself in. Thank you for your honest review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Using rhymes to make up for jargon, sounds creative. However, I will pass on this one. Great review though!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Wow, the theme and the literary approach both seem unique to me. Pity that the uneven pace makes the reading experience struggling. Thanks for the enlightening review.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

What a complex book...and, with its fusion of science and poetry, it sounds quite unique! Great review.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I have read and reviewed this book and gave it the same rating mainly because of the complex and confusing thoughts. Though some of them were good enough. Thanks for this honest review.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by ma_mon28 »

Sounds funny! I look at the cover as "weird." However, the rhymes you said sounds interesting.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

looks confusing!
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Such a weird book I guess. The cover photo looks interesting though.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Using rhyme and illustrations to help explain such complex topics sounds like a truly unique approach. This isn't really my realm of interest though. I think I'll give this one a pass. Thanks for the honest review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Use of fun and catchy rhymes made me think that this would be a fun book to read. But the change in the pacing and the use of very advanced vocabulary and complex hypothetical factors made me realize I won't enjoy this book. So, I won't be reading it. But, thanks for the insightful and honest review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”