Featured Official Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin [April 2020 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Featured Official Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin [April 2020 Book of the Month]

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Project Tau" by Jude Austin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Human cloning is now an everyday occurrence. In fact, clones are used almost as slave labor, and they have no rights. Kalin Taylor is a college student that just wants to be different than high school. He pledges for Phi Mu Alpha, but they want him to break into Project Tau, a secret facility where cloning occurs. Kalin decides to go for it despite his reservations. Unfortunately, that's where things go horribly wrong.

Project Tau is a gripping, fast-paced science fiction thriller. With close to 275 pages, the book will capture your attention quickly and not let go until long after you're finished reading. Though there is some violence and abuse, Jude Austin does well at keeping the graphic nature to a minimum. Still, I wouldn't recommend the book for a younger audience due to mature themes.

When I say science fiction, you might think aliens, future technology, or space opera. Cloning fits the bill; however, it will become fact sooner than we all think. That is what makes this story so tantalizing. Most of the story takes place on a space station years in the future, which is in keeping with the genre. Despite the futuristic nature, the strength of the story lies in its thought provoking quality. Themes of human rights, slavery, and abuse fill the pages. It's a story I thought about long after I finished reading; honestly, it's one of those books that you read with morbid fascination. You almost want to cover your eyes because you don't know if you can stand it. Something, though, pulls you back to the pages. You keep reading, though it's almost with one eye shut.

The author describes the plot as more character-driven than plot-driven. While I agree with this to an extent, there's still an element of suspense that captured my imagination. I couldn't help trying to figure out what was going, which kept me hooked from beginning to end. Having said that, I did greatly enjoy the characters as they are one of the strong points of this book. Kalin's struggle to fit in gets him in trouble, which I found very relatable. The secondary characters are a mixed bag of humanity and further added to the realism of the story.

I appreciated that, in a book with such a serious nature, the author took the time to throw in some humor. The author even manages to bring Yoda into the book. "'Try,' Tau echoed. 'You either think or you don't think; there's no trying involved.' Yoda, eat your heart out, Kalin thought with a certain kind of grim humor." It just lightened the more serious plot, which gave some much needed comic relief.

It's with the utmost regard that I give Project Tau 4 out of 4 stars. It deserves a full rating due to the easy to read writing style that draws you in as well as the verisimilitude. It's books like these that you hope you never see come to pass; nevertheless, you can still picture it. I recommend the story to those who enjoy an almost voyeuristic science fiction novel. If mature themes, while still sensitively written, make you queasy, you'll probably want to skip this read.

Project Tau
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Oh my! Another horrible picture of what the future may look like! Do these authors get their inspiration from Revelation in the Bible?

I'm moved to follow Kalin and read this one with eyes wide shut. Thanks for the tantalizing review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Miriam Molina wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 10:33 Oh my! Another horrible picture of what the future may look like! Do these authors get their inspiration from Revelation in the Bible?

I'm moved to follow Kalin and read this one with eyes wide shut. Thanks for the tantalizing review.
I don't know where these authors get their inspiration, but they sure can scare a person! Eyes Wide Shut is the perfect way to describe how to read the book (though I've never seen the movie!) Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I agree that the premise for the book sounds scary, but it does also sound intriguing. Thanks for another great review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 13:12 I agree that the premise for the book sounds scary, but it does also sound intriguing. Thanks for another great review.
Thanks. It's just one of those that I could see happening.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Sci-Fi isn't usually my thing, but this sounds interesting. I may just have to add this one to my shelf!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Jessacardinal wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 14:07 Sci-Fi isn't usually my thing, but this sounds interesting. I may just have to add this one to my shelf!
I think even those that don't normally enjoy science fiction would probably still like this one. It's almost more of a thriller, but it does take place in the future and deals with cloning, so...
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 14:15
Jessacardinal wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 14:07 Sci-Fi isn't usually my thing, but this sounds interesting. I may just have to add this one to my shelf!
I think even those that don't normally enjoy science fiction would probably still like this one. It's almost more of a thriller, but it does take place in the future and deals with cloning, so...
Thank you for the information. I appreciate the recommendation!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I wonder what the role of human clones would be if they did emerge - quite possibly something like what's imagined here. Some dystopian novels do make somewhat accurate predictions, like the ones about cameras everywhere. This book sounds as gripping as it is disturbing.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 16:17 I wonder what the role of human clones would be if they did emerge - quite possibly something like what's imagined here. Some dystopian novels do make somewhat accurate predictions, like the ones about cameras everywhere. This book sounds as gripping as it is disturbing.
There are so many questions about clones. Would they have the same rights as humans? It's an interesting subject for sure, and the author treated it well.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The theme of cloning is intriguing. You make it seem as though the author has taken this idea down quite a thrilling avenue. I want to read it - and I don't! Your tantalizing description of the story line is drawing me in. Thanks for this fascinating review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 22:28 The theme of cloning is intriguing. You make it seem as though the author has taken this idea down quite a thrilling avenue. I want to read it - and I don't! Your tantalizing description of the story line is drawing me in. Thanks for this fascinating review.
Thanks! Yes, the cloning part of the story is interesting, but there's even more to it than that. If you do read it, let me know what you think.
—Neil Gaiman
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

Lesson 101, never break into anywhere talk-less of a secret facility, it never ends well. i find the name Kalin Taylor futuristic, i feel like a lot of thought really went into this. added to shelf already. Thank you for the awesome review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Itskai88 wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 13:42 Lesson 101, never break into anywhere talk-less of a secret facility, it never ends well. i find the name Kalin Taylor futuristic, i feel like a lot of thought really went into this. added to shelf already. Thank you for the awesome review.
That's a really good lesson. If characters in books and movies could learn that, we'd be better off. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

For some reason, authors nowadays paint the future as very dark times. As much as this is just a book, I do hope the occurrences do not take place in reality. I might give this read a try. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”