Official Review: Netherrealm Book 1 by Kim Michelle Ross

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 974
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Official Review: Netherrealm Book 1 by Kim Michelle Ross

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Netherrealm Book 1" by Kim Michelle Ross.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Netherrealm Book 1: Heed the Darkness is the scintillating debut novel of Kim Michelle Ross. In her very first venture, Ross weaves a love story that transcends the boundaries of time.

It all started in the summer of 1133. Lady Elena de la Chatelaine urged Lady Bethany de Lise and Alice to accompany her to the stone circle in Arbelew. Meanwhile, Gerrat de Ashbore's future-self, Jared also visits the stone circle on the exact same day in the year 2003. A time slip takes place. All of them experience varied visions. These visions alter their lives. Elena becomes certain that Gerrat de Ashbore is hers. Alice gets convinced that a darkness will consume her. Bethany sees the future-self of Gerrat. She gets linked to her future-self, Dayna through her dreams. Amidst all this, an evil presence slips into the 21st century. Thus, begins an epic saga of love, betrayal, war, and reincarnation.

Netherrealm Book 1: Heed the Darkness is a well-crafted book. The third-person point of view employed by the author is perfect for this novel as it aids the reader to relate to all the characters. I absolutely loved the author's writing style. The way she meshed Old English with the modern version of the language is admirable. It brought alive the medieval period of England. In a span of twenty-five chapters, Ross made the reader live the period of Anarchy. I have to mention that the book ended on a perfect cliff-hanger. It made the reader pine for the next book.

Ross did a terrific job at characterization. All the characters were well-developed. Bethany grew from a shy and insecure girl to a lady who fought for her loved ones. Gerrat was lovable. His pranks were a testimony to his mischievous nature. However, his chivalry and devotion for Bethany truly endeared him to me. Quite surprisingly, I sympathized with Elena. At first glance, she was a loathsome creature. As the story progressed, the reader gradually came to see her plight.

I have to mention that this tome contains some explicit love scenes. Also, it has some vivid battle scenes. This was not irksome as these scenes were necessary for the smooth progression of the plot.

The only thing that bothered me was the presence of a large number of errors. I found both typographical and grammatical errors. I believe a round of editing and proofreading would make this book absolutely perfect.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. If not for the errors, I would have gladly given this book a perfect rating. I think people who do not like historical fiction, romance novels and tales of reincarnation will not find this book enjoyable. Also, people who are wary of explicit scenes should give this book a wide berth. Fans of romance and historical fiction would adore this delectable read.

Netherrealm Book 1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kajori50's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I really admire the creativity and imagination some people have in devising interesting plots. This is a great review, thank you.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

Good work. Neat review done . Amazing and intresting storyline. I liked the plot of the story very much. Good book worth reading
---
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

A great story with awesome characterization...sounds like one that I would enjoy reading, but after the author has given the book a round of editing. I loved the review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I like a book with an interesting and engaging plot. This book also has well developed characters. Although romance is not my best genre, I think I'll give this a try. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thank you for your top-up information! I loved the sufficient information provided in your synopsis. Truly defined as an eager fantasy read waiting to bloom.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Due to the explicit scenes as well as the large number of errors, I'll probably skip this one. Time travel, though, does fascinate me (even as it gives me a headache.) I'd love to see how their lives change after their various visions. Thanks, anyway, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Netherrealm Book 1: Heed the Darkness is a well-crafted book. The third-person point of view employed by the author is perfect for this novel as it aids the reader to relate to all the characters. I absolutely loved the author's writing style. The way she meshed Old English with the modern version of the language is admirable. It brought alive the medieval period of England. In a span of twenty-five chapters, Ross made the reader live the period of Anarchy. I have to mention that the book ended on a perfect cliff-hanger. It made the reader pine for the next book.

Ross did a terrific job at characterization. All the characters were well-developed.
Wow! It takes some serious talent and hard work to create such a complicated plot with an amazing vocabulary and well-developed characters.
It goes straight to my shelves.
Thanks!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Although not a great fan of romance books, the premise of this book seems very intriguing, mostly because of the other components it possesses. I like time travel stories, so that is a plus. The character development sounds really good to make you root for so many characters individually. Thanks for the lovely review, it certainly helped me to make my mind about it.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

I'm interested!! I'd be willing to endure the errors just to read this book. Thank you for a thorough review.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Caylie_Cat wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 23:29 I really admire the creativity and imagination some people have in devising interesting plots. This is a great review, thank you.
Welcome. :D

The creativity and imagination of authors makes a good book great.

Thank you for stopping by. :)
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Bavithra M wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 00:36 Good work. Neat review done . Amazing and intresting storyline. I liked the plot of the story very much. Good book worth reading
Thank you. :D

Hope you enjoy the book.

Thank you for your feedback. :)
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Jgideon wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 00:48 A great story with awesome characterization...sounds like one that I would enjoy reading, but after the author has given the book a round of editing. I loved the review.
Thank you. :D
Your feedback means a lot.
Hope you have fun if you decide to read it.

Kajori Sheryl Paul

T_stone wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 02:22 I like a book with an interesting and engaging plot. This book also has well developed characters. Although romance is not my best genre, I think I'll give this a try. Thanks for the review.

The plot is pretty engaging. Hope you enjoy reading it.

Kajori Sheryl Paul

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 07:30 Thank you for your top-up information! I loved the sufficient information provided in your synopsis. Truly defined as an eager fantasy read waiting to bloom.

Your views means a lot .

Also, I agree that it is a fantasy waiting to bloom.

Return to “Historical Fiction”