Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Four Funny Potatoes!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Four Funny Potatoes!

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever watched The Night At The Museum? Because if you've, you would understand the depth of this catchphrase: sleep all day, party all night. Nevertheless, Len Foley provides the same effect to his surprisingly young audience between the age of 3-to 8-year-old. In this overly dramatic children's book, Foley introduces us to his star buddies:

Hey kids!
I'm Arnie, who knows how to dance.
This is good ol' Jimmy, who wears funny pants.
And Marvin who juggles tomatoes, and we are the Four Funny Potatoes!

Hey! Wait a minute, where's our fourth? Benny, where are you?
Hey! I'm not a Po-ta-toe! I'm Benny, the banana. Ba-na-na!
The one and only banana. I'm long and skinny, and shiny and yellow.
I'm just a lovely banana.

Foley embarks on a mission to impress his passionate little audience by marveling them using vivid colors, and lifelike illustrations of silly fruits and vegetables, for example, Sophia, the sandwich, wearing a bow tie. Foley's high-spirited characters add a blend of fun and naughtiness to spice up the interest. In these 28 pages, filled with laugh-out-loud moments, Foley doesn't forget to add the 'learning with fun' concept. The catch of this read is its simplicity which creates the urge for more. Oh! Listen! I can hear kid's screaming, "read it again, mommy!"

This distinctive plot is all creative and full of silliness. Foley uses a rhythmic approach to connect with his audience. The vocabulary used contain volume and identity demanding for attention, is well-edited, except for two minor punctuation errors. It's a fun-loving read that teachers and parents can enjoy with their kids.

I've read many reviews, and I've sensed strongly mixed feelings among the reviewers. In my opinion, this read is exceptionally entertaining, but I wish to recommend parents to read it with their kids, rather than making it a solo read, because of its questionable ending. I found Jesse, the jelly bean, funny when she tossed a watermelon in the air. Inspired by his daughter, Len Foley realized that he wasn't a bad writer, but just followed the wrong sort. I admire Foley's motives to impart young minds with inspiring lessons: the beauty of teamwork, to appreciate unique identity, and to speak up for one's self.

The only point that I highly reflect, in disagreement, is its highly inappropriate ending. I'm not pleased with this, and considering the audience's sensible age, I'm sure they'll be heartbroken. Considering this point, which is hard to ignore, I rate the Four Funny Potatoes 3 out of 4 stars.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Great style of writing reviews. I'm learning so much from you. I also reviewed this book. I must say, it's amazing.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Sahani Nimandra

Sunnyroyish wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 08:36 Great style of writing reviews. I'm learning so much from you. I also reviewed this book. I must say, it's amazing.
Thank you so much for your complement!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It makes me really happy to see an adult enjoy a children's book so much and relish on the silliness. We get too serious at times!
Seems like a great book for the little ones, but I'm glad you mentioned the ending is sensitive. That could've ended up badly if there isnt an adult to explain!
Great review, Sahani, thanks!
Sahani Nimandra

Lunastella wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 11:54 It makes me really happy to see an adult enjoy a children's book so much and relish on the silliness. We get too serious at times!
Seems like a great book for the little ones, but I'm glad you mentioned the ending is sensitive. That could've ended up badly if there isnt an adult to explain!
Great review, Sahani, thanks!
That could've ended up badly if there isnt an adult to explain!
You have no idea. Thank you for commenting, dear! :tiphat:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Yet another unique way to present the book! I really enjoy reading your reviews, Sahani! I agree with you about the slightly disturbing (for children) ending, but then the very last page will probably console them. Nevertheless, I must admit that this was a really engaging book. Thanks for the review!
Sahani Nimandra

Shrabastee wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 00:18 Yet another unique way to present the book! I really enjoy reading your reviews, Sahani! I agree with you about the slightly disturbing (for children) ending, but then the very last page will probably console them. Nevertheless, I must admit that this was a really engaging book. Thanks for the review!
Thank you so much for appreciating my work! :tiphat:
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

I reviewed this book as well. The ending is a bit shocking with an age group of 3 to 8 year olds. I think with children a bit older, it would be better accepted. Great review!
Sahani Nimandra

Ronel_Steyn wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 07:33 I reviewed this book as well. The ending is a bit shocking with an age group of 3 to 8 year olds. I think with children a bit older, it would be better accepted. Great review!
Thank you for your comment! Children who are above that age wouldn't enjoy it much since they are much older and capable of understanding books which challenge them than this one. :tiphat:
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I do hope the ending you're referring to isn't too inappropriate to turn off any well-meaning parent, carer or educator. The formative years are crucial to a child's development as well as in inculcating the values that'll make them better citizens of our world.

Thank you for another interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sahani Nimandra

Espie wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 20:40 I do hope the ending you're referring to isn't too inappropriate to turn off any well-meaning parent, carer or educator. The formative years are crucial to a child's development as well as in inculcating the values that'll make them better citizens of our world.

Thank you for another interesting review.
What pester me the most is how am I going to teach a young kid about death. I know it's inevitable, but it sucks to explain it to them. Thank you for your valuable opinion!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I loved the way you compared it with The Night of the Museum.
Thank you for the great review.
Sahani Nimandra

Kajori50 wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 06:43 I loved the way you compared it with The Night of the Museum.
Thank you for the great review.
The first thing that popped into my head. Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

A heart-breaking end? Now I'm curious! Thanks for an engaging review - as always!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sahani Nimandra

Cotwani wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 01:04 A heart-breaking end? Now I'm curious! Thanks for an engaging review - as always!
Really! The heart-breaking part is the party that made you curious. You're one in million :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”