Official Review: The Evil Underneath by Jeremy Bennett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Official Review: The Evil Underneath by Jeremy Bennett

Post by SpencerVo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Evil Underneath" by Jeremy Bennett.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are a loyal fan of modern horror flicks, you may be familiar with the subtle message “do not ever move to the suburbs.” Seriously, everyone there is trying to kill you. The attractive woman next door might be planning to sacrifice you to Satan’s spawns. Those affluent neighbors may be running an illegal slave market in their basements. After finishing Jeremy Bennett’s The Evil Underneath, you might as well add another reason why your phobia of suburbs is totally comprehensible.

Helen Olson and her husband have just moved into a Folk Victorian house on Donavan Creek. As a part-time writer and a full-time housewife, she has a lot of time on her hands. Therefore, she decides to explore the backyard and comes across an old pipe in her flower bed. Decorated with an inexplicable number of crosses, the pipe is trying to warn Helen against disturbing it. Unfortunately, she touches it and eventually breaks it. The damage has been done as Helen has released some supernatural forces upon her cozy home. What are they? The evil entities are creeping up on her, but she will not stay put like a useless damsel and let those hideous monsters steal everything from her. She will slay them or die trying. Will her courage be rewarded, or should she surrender her soul to avoid gruesome tortures?

The Evil Underneath is categorized under the comedy horror genre, and it delivers its promise. The playful elements include subverting our expectations, hilarious made-up beliefs, and absurd commentaries resulting from the characters’ overactive imagination. At the same time, the story still evokes fear when it presents both visceral and civilized threats, such as darkness, insects, indecent exposure, and invasion of privacy. The tonal contradiction is, surprising, not jarring. Horror and comedy work together seamlessly to depict an entertaining, gripping, and terrifying adventure.

Although the story has plenty of thrilling action scenes, the final showdown is the best one. The idea of an alcoholic housewife suddenly becoming Ellen Ripley and ready to take down the unworldly creatures is executed to perfection. Helen is not a benevolent heroine. She is simply desperate to retrieve her normal life and protect her loved ones with her determination, wits, and a lot of garlic. The twist at the end is so uniquely intriguing that I was a little sad that there is not a sequel exploring that scenario.

I love the author’s clever and effective use of language. Since Bennett has an extremely straightforward writing style, you can see the story enacted clearly as if he was painting a picture with his words. He also knows what details to nail and what to omit in order to leave a lasting impression with as few sentences as possible. His specialty is creating witty similes. Nonetheless, depending on your perspective, they can be either refreshingly creative or annoyingly distracting. One of my favorite lines is “The woman's smile dove from her lips like a suicidal man from a bridge.” The story juxtaposes among three different characters’ points of view, yet he succeeds in constructing three distinctive voices: Helen’s giddy, slightly neurotic thoughts; David’s emotional, contemptuous, narcissistic blabbering; Sam’s deranged, sadistic, haunting musing.

On the downside, as the author himself admitted at the beginning, this book is not professionally edited. The admission might be charming at first, but when you come across numerous grammatical, punctuation, spacing errors, you feel less charmed and more irritated. I detected more than twelve mistakes in the first chapter. The situation somewhat improves in later chapters, but my annoyance thermometer kept increasing steadily. I hope the novel will get professional help soon since it desperately, seriously, crazily needs that.

Besides, the design of the front cover does not fit the book’s content and mood, and I can’t honestly figure out which character the fit, manly shadow is supposed to represent.

The book’s content alone would deserve a perfect 4, but the editing mistakes are so unacceptable that I was debating between 2 and 3 for a while. Ultimately, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars since the overall journey is still worthwhile and exhilarating. I highly recommend The Evil Underneath to fans of horror and thriller genres or those who enjoy a survival story or an adventure into the sinister world. Although the story has decent characterization, it does not focus on internal conflicts, insightful introspection, or moral lessons. The novel also contains many gory scenes and sick fantasies, so it is not suitable for faint-hearted readers.

The Evil Underneath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SpencerVo's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Helen sounds like a courageous character. I love her already.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a very typical horror setting. It's not my usual genre, and I don't think it's captured me enough to read it anyway. It's too bad about the errors as well, especially since they were so disturbing. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Oh, I am not interested in horror books, and editing mistakes further pulled me away from this one. But I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"Although the story has plenty of thrilling action scenes, the final showdown is the best one. The idea of an alcoholic housewife suddenly becoming Ellen Ripley and ready to take down the unworldly creatures is executed to perfection. Helen is not a benevolent heroine. She is simply desperate to retrieve her normal life and protect her loved ones with her determination, wits, and a lot of garlic. The twist at the end is so uniquely intriguing that I was a little sad that there is not a sequel exploring that scenario."
This does sound hilarious, but I avoid horror like a plague. I'll recommend this one to my husband, however, and your review is very entertaining.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

This sounds like an entertaining read, although I'm sad to hear the editing was so poor. I agree the cover is a little off considering the story, but plenty of books have ill-fitting covers. I will definitely have to read this Thank you for the thorough review!
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”