Official Review: control Room by Mike Miller Jr.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: control Room by Mike Miller Jr.

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "control Room" by Mike Miller Jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A hair-bending, end-of-the-world style adventure awaits you when you pick up Control Room by Mike Miller, Jr. Alisa Bellsong is an archaeologist working on an ancient Nazca ruin when she makes the discovery of a lifetime. Actually, it's the only discovery that matters since people began making discoveries. Hidden down in the depths of the earth, underneath the foundation of a ruined Nazca temple site lies an impossibility. A decision is made to keep it secret. Top level confidentiality protocols are invoked, and no one working with any part of the project to discover what "it" is can tell any other person on the project what they are doing.

When two top scientists go missing hours before a top level briefing, Dr. Jake Pendleton is brought in to solve the mysteries. Who kidnapped the scientists? Why were the scientists abducted? Where are they? Who is the project's mole? What is this thing, anyway? What does it do? The answers that start coming are breathtaking in significance. "It" is activated. "It" is going to be bad.

From the book's preface, I thought this was going to be primarily an alien story. As I disagreed philosophically with the author's theories, I set myself up for some disappointment. Thankfully, my disappointment was disappointed! The alien background was basically a premise on which the adventure hung. The novel itself was quite enjoyable on its own merit.

I could not put Control Room down. Being an Indiana Jones fan may have helped, since it almost felt as though I were reading the story line for the next movie in the series. It was fast-paced almost from the very start, and I never felt bogged down by necessary supporting details. Even though I did not understand all of the scientific potentialities that were presented, I never felt as though this were a hindrance to my enjoyment. I sort of felt that the author merged the sci-fi with the adventure novel. In my opinion, a good sci-fi novel has enough details to set the story and make it believable, but not so many that my head goes spinning! I felt that the author did a good job of balancing the sci-fi and adventure genres.

Throughout the story, the characters were definitely larger than life. I appreciated that they were not presented as "perfect," instead having relatable flaws. I also enjoyed the romances as they unfolded. It was nice to see characters overcome personal doubts to pursue a meaningful relationship with someone they liked to be with. The author did a great job of including a wide variety of characters ranging from a grownup high school jock to a boy genius. Of course, it didn't hurt that the main character was described as being stunning.

Overall, I found very little to complain about when it came to editing. I give kudos to the author for having someone edit the book so well. I also give kudos to the author for setting up what could have been a steamy romance, but keeping it all to the imagination rather than detailing out intimate scenes. Between the well-drawn characters, an engaging plot, the fast pace, and clean editing, I am pleased to rate this 4 out of 4 stars.

control Room
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love sci-fi and adventure. This sounds like a great read.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

This sounds like a suspenseful page-turner. I will keep it in mind.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds great. The story line and the excellent editing are attracting me to this book. Thanks for the excellent review. I would like to try this one.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I'm not really into sci - fi books but your review made this book interesting! You made me curious what "it" could possibly be.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Sci-fi, ancient history, and a secret "impossibility"? I'm hooked. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

What is "it" ????? I so desperately want to find out what "it" is that I'll give the book a go. Thanks for the recommendation.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a book that's right up my alley. I love sci fi, and I was glad to hear it wasn't necessarily all about aliens. I'll have to try this one with such a great recommendation. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 18:18 This sounds like a book that's right up my alley. I love sci fi, and I was glad to hear it wasn't necessarily all about aliens. I'll have to try this one with such a great recommendation. Thanks.
You’re welcome 😊
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I'm glad that the charters were not presented as 'perfect' but had relatable flaws.The author's style is quite impressive.Maybe I'll check this one up.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

This sounds like a book I want to read; sci-fi, mystery, adventure, and a little romance without the intimate details. Thank you for the awesome review.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I am also a big Indiana Jones fan and if th :tiphat: is book as as good as you say, then I am looking forward to reading it.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A Sci-fi adventure revolving around an activated alien artifact found in an ancient Nazca ruin sounds exciting. An engaging plot, good writing, and good editing make for a good read. The book has all the ingredients for a good movie. I am an Indiana Jones fan, but I prefer to watch those kinds of adventures, not to read about them. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This is an engaging read for fans of science fiction. The interspersion of history and romance is a plus. Your review piqued my interest. Thank you for the thorough insight.
Han26+
Currently Reading: The DC Comics Encyclopedia
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han26.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Han26+ »

Thank you for choosing to review this book. Personally I found the introduction more interesting than anything else in the sample I read, so I will be giving it a miss. There was too much info-dumping (in my opinion.)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”