Official Review: Don't Let Me Die in Disneyland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Don't Let Me Die in Disneyland

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don't Let Me Die in Disneyland" by J.A. Marzán.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Don’t Let Me Die in Disneyland: The 3-D Life of Eddie Loperena by J.A. Marzán is a character-driven fiction novel that details the account of Eddie, a Harvard graduate and most sought-after Nuyorican lawyer, as he continuously finds himself in the middle of a never-ending sociological swamp battling racism, prejudice, marginalization, and oppression of minorities like him.

Eddie Loperena’s immediate family moved to New York when he was just seven years old. Having to make do with his new environment, despite longing to go back to his island paradise, he struggles to find ground and self-identity and experiences ethnic identity problems growing up. Unlike his childhood Puerto Rican friends, Eddie catches a few lucky and some well-deserved breaks that propel him to new heights. He uses this momentum to seek justice and equality for his people and in the process makes a name for himself. This gains him the attention of politicians, who acknowledge his influence on Hispanic voters. Given that Eddie used to write political protest poems, will he embrace the various invitations by politicians to make a difference in the politics he deems unfair? When he receives a call from his long-lost childhood best friend, who has established himself in the drug world, asking for a favor concerning two suitcases containing ‘valuable papers’, what will Eddie do? Eddie is conflicted because he knows that any affiliation with a well-known drug dealer and his activities may ruin his reputation and pull him back to a life he worked hard to escape.

Beaming with profound truths dressed in satire, sarcasm, and a bit of humor, the narrative took me on a thought-provoking and enlightening yet entertaining journey through its pages. The author’s way with words and captivating writing style in vividly imaging places, characters, and events made for quite an evocative read. Additionally, I appreciated that the main character is complemented with a colorful cast of multicultural supporting characters, which gave the sense of an encompassing collective experience for the minority groups.

The characters’ backstories and the ups and downs that life serves them painted the characters development efficiently. The characters felt real, and the lead character is a multidimensional complex character that I found likable, even though I didn’t agree with some of his actions and stances. I especially liked that in his own self-reflections, he realized his own hypocrisy. His inner musings about his divorce, ex-wife, and what went wrong in their relationship I found particularly valuable—there was so much depth that I could see those who’ve gone through a divorce relating to. The insight into their relationship before and after the divorce gave me a strong understanding of their relationship dynamics.

I liked the extent to which the author went in detailing the experience of minorities born in the USA versus those who moved there and the experiences they had when visiting ‘home’ and ‘their people’. I also liked getting to know the characters’ inner perceptions of themselves and their experiences versus the perception others have of who they are.

Though the book has great content and holds a lot of promise, there are a number of glaring hiccups that I could not overlook. I went back and forth between a 2-star rating and a 3-star rating because, despite the number of issues, the content was really good. The first issue is in the switching of characters names and spelling—for example, in chapter five, we meet Troy Oliver who by the third page of the chapter is being referred to as Todd Oliver. Or when it came to Professor Maritza, whose name, at times, was written as Martiza, and her roommate Wanda being referred to as Wendy. As for the second issue, I usually don’t mind a large cast of characters, but the number of characters in this novel and the attention and description most of them received overwhelmed me a little. Third, in location 1995, I noticed a missing sentence before a dialogue tag. Fourth, Eddie would often refer to what I call his alter ego (Eduardo) in the third person. This is where the writing became unclear because there wasn’t always a clear indication of when the shift in personality happened—at first, it just seemed as though the narrative was shifting from first person to third person. Fifth, there were a number of missing punctuation marks, mostly commas.

All things considered, I sadly rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. If I could, I would rate this book 2.5 stars as it is. If it weren’t for the issues stated, I would have happily rated this novel 4 stars. The strong language in this book makes it suitable for a mature audience. Those who enjoy narratives that highlight real experiences through satire will appreciate it. The drama, crime, and mystery elements stitched into the narrative are a bonus.

Don't Let Me Die in Disneyland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

My biggest pet peeve is the author switching the characters' names up like that. If it's just a few times, I can overlook it. However, from what you state, I'm not sure I could get past it. It's too bad because it does sound interesting. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

In my opinion, the cover of the book doesn’t seem to match the story you outline in your review. The cover immediately detracts any attention I may otherwise give the book.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

Beaming with profound truths dressed in satire, sarcasm, and a bit of humor, the narrative took me on a thought-provoking and enlightening yet entertaining journey through its pages.
Anything satirical, sarcastic and humorous you are likely to find me around it. Thanks for this review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Eddie has quite a dilemma to deal with, and it is believable. I like how you describe the story and create suspense about the characters. Your detailed description of the book's negatives give me pause though. Thanks for an intriguing review!
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

The fight against racism and magicalisation is a continous one.Books like this should be encouraged.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”