Review by Sunnyroyish -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Review by Sunnyroyish -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Sunnyroyish »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's the most smelly and dirty book I've read so far. You will know the reason as I am going to uncover the secret in my review. So kindly bear with me.

Sigfried's Smelly Socks by Len Foley is an engaging children's book. From the very start of the book, something is smelly. No one knows what it is. Maybe it is the rotten banana or the chewing gum. But nothing is comparable with the smelly socks of Sigfried that are hidden under the bed. There are different kinds of socks, and each one smells different. One of them is a grey sock that smells exactly like an old potato. It's probably because Sigfried's uncle Kato left a potato there. He also spilt some ketchup and dribbled turnip clumps. Compared to all of this, Sigfried's socks don't cause much trouble. But he finally decides to wash them anyway.

From the funny-looking Sigfried to his dirty socks, I loved every corner of this book. The story is funny, and it is written in rhymes, which is appropriate for children. Some of the important words in the book were boldened to make them more noticeable. Visually, the book was a delight to read. Smart use of colours and cartoons made it a perfect children's book. Overall, the book made me laugh, and that is what matters most in a children's book.

The book was proficiently edited. I couldn't find a single typo in it. It is probably because the book is very short, consisting of only 27 pages, and the pages contain 4-10 lines on average. Clearly, I didn't dislike anything about this book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. As I stated earlier that, this is a perfect children's book. Hence, the rating seems appropriate from my point of view. I recommend this book to children from 4-7 years of age. It is also recommended to parents who have kids in their home. My only request to you is that you buy a physical book instead of a digital one. In my opinion, a physical book is always a better option for children.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sunnyroyish's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I agree that books they can physically hold are great for children, but if digital is the only option, that can be just as enjoyable. Anyway, this sounds like a delightfully funny book and one that has the "gross" factor that kids seem to think is so hilarious. I'll have to look this one up to read to my grandson! Thanks for the great review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Kelyn wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 02:05 I agree that books they can physically hold are great for children, but if digital is the only option, that can be just as enjoyable. Anyway, this sounds like a delightfully funny book and one that has the "gross" factor that kids seem to think is so hilarious. I'll have to look this one up to read to my grandson! Thanks for the great review!
I agree with you. When I was a child, only poop related jokes seemed funny to me. Thanks for your reply.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

True. Everything in the book is funny, especially Sigfried's last resort on his dirty socks broke my ribs. Thank you for your kind review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I liked your take on the book. Indeed, this book is perfectly suitable for young children, albeit really smelly! You made a very valid point about buying a physical book to glean all the attractions the book has to offer. Thank you for your review!
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Nerea wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 07:06 True. Everything in the book is funny, especially Sigfried's last resort on his dirty socks broke my ribs. Thank you for your kind review.
Lolz... Thanks for the reply.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Shrabastee wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 08:20 I liked your take on the book. Indeed, this book is perfectly suitable for young children, albeit really smelly! You made a very valid point about buying a physical book to glean all the attractions the book has to offer. Thank you for your review!
Yup, physical books are way better. You can also smell them. That's an incentive.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like the nature of your synopsis. The daring nature to stand out and be naked in that childish behavior explains all about this read. Spot-on review! 8) 8-)
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 07:33 I like the nature of your synopsis. The daring nature to stand out and be naked in that childish behavior explains all about this read. Spot-on review! 8) 8-)
Thanks
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Kids find so amusing the silly little things like the smelly subject! It seems like a very enjoyable book and boldening certain words is a great idea.
I agree with you that a physical copy is the best way to go with kids: they engage a lot through their senses and it's not the same with digital media.
Thanks for a very gratifying review!
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Lunastella wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 11:59 Kids find so amusing the silly little things like the smelly subject! It seems like a very enjoyable book and boldening certain words is a great idea.
I agree with you that a physical copy is the best way to go with kids: they engage a lot through their senses and it's not the same with digital media.
Thanks for a very gratifying review!
Thanks
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

This was the book I chose for my first review. Unsure of how to rate, what to focus on, etc. I wasn't able to express how the author was able to make me smell all those smells just with his words. Your review was thorough, thank you!
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Ronel_Steyn wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 07:28 This was the book I chose for my first review. Unsure of how to rate, what to focus on, etc. I wasn't able to express how the author was able to make me smell all those smells just with his words. Your review was thorough, thank you!
My first review was horrible. It happens. Thanks for the comment.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This piece is a good example of a proverbial thought of "not judging books by their covers," but I'd add the words "title" and "theme," too. Thank you for your succinct review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I can't fathom (delightfully of course) how Sigfried's uncle Kato left a potato in a sock! Indeed real life also turns up some hard to explain scenarios.Thanks for the delightful review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”