Review by elliphont1 -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wil...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
elliphont1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliphont1.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Review by elliphont1 -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wil...

Post by elliphont1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this superb collection comprised of 33 short stories, 2 graphic novel adaptations and final novella, Coles explores the human condition. Circumstances together with personal experiences in time and place, have formed his cast of players and their relationships, as they find themselves in an an array of confronting or challenging situations. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars without hesitation.

Often there is an underlying moral to the tale and a hard lesson to be learned. Regret,surprise revelations, expected and unexpected outcomes, love, death, achievement, disappointment, humour, kindness, triumph over adversity, loyalty, betrayal, strength, vulnerability and journeys of self discovery are all to be found in this collection.

Coles leads readers to examine their ideas, assumptions of acceptable societal “norms” , preconceptions and expectations as they progress through to the final novella.

The 2 graphic novels while an interesting inclusion, highlight Cole’s masterful use of language throughout. The contrast to the preceding short stories created the impression that the graphic content may have added to the tale, but could not prevent an overall sense that more had been lost than gained.

As an illustrated work, a number of talented artists introduce each piece and capture the essence of every tale precisely and all contribute, in their own style, to create a unique and truly remarkable literary accomplishment.

The Gift,the introductory short story was one of my favourite pieces. A young unmarried girl finds herself in a difficult situation with her mother’s outspoken and predictable attitudes. Giving birth to a handicapped daughter, Catherine is determined to be the mother she wants to be for her child and refuses to let her be further restrained by the thoughts or deeds of others. Coles has presented The Gift to his readers as the opening story. It is a gentle introduction into what lies in store. A Gift it is- for the reader, and one I gratefully accepted.

The Necklace, Nemesis and Homunculus explore or compare relationships, unrequited love, love and marriage, loyalty, friendship values, errors of judgement and misplaced trust.

In The Bear we see two hunters and a boy confronted by a bear. The character of the hunters and the nature of the bear and deliverance of justice is as swift as the story is short.
Several of the stories feature distinctly disadvantaged people , some are handicapped mentally or physically.

Death is a frequent topic and The Dilemma is another very short story where a father who is also a surgeon has but a moment to choose to save a life or end it.

The final Novella, Sister Carrie, examines cultural differences and attitudes and preconceived ideas of an elder guardian sister, Jessie, who takes her responsibilities reluctantly but seriously. Both are determined to live their lives their way, creating a relationship that ebbs and flows. As they struggle with their new circumstances, both are pulled in different directions as Carrie begins a relationship and Jessie feels time passing her by and plans for her future.

Not a book for readers who would like to see many happy endings or light easy reading. Highly recommended those who are prepared to feel a range of emotions and are prepared to be taken outside of their comfort zone and expect the unexpected.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like elliphont1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Having read several books by this author, I am not a fan of his writing style. It would have been difficult to review a book that has so many different stories and formats involved, but you pulled it off very well, I think.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I have to agree with Caylie_Cat. I'd have a hard time writing a review for such a diverse collection of works. Nonetheless, you did well. However, I am a sucker for happy endings. The stories might not go down very well with me. I'll have to pass.

Thanks for the review. :)
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like your way of describing the stories. I didn't like the book as much as you did because dark stories are not for me. I am glad you enjoyed it. Nice review!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

From your review, the book seems to be suspenseful with some disturbing aspects. Thank you for your honest review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

You did such a good job reviewing this book with lots of different stories. But I think my favourite will be The Gift, Catherine is the kind of mother everyone deserves. Someone who won't give up on her child no matter the condition. Good review.
Olaoluwa_oso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaoluwa-oso.html
Latest Review: The Misadventures Of Jimmy Crookshank by D.R. Blair

Post by Olaoluwa_oso »

Reviewing this kind of books can be really difficult. But you pulled it off producing a beautiful review. The book seems to be filled with lots of emotions though, I think I'll pass reading this book. Good job.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by ma_mon28 »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 21:53 Having read several books by this author, I am not a fan of his writing style. It would have been difficult to review a book that has so many different stories and formats involved, but you pulled it off very well, I think.
I agree! I haven't read the book yet but reading books with many stories in one book seem so hard to summarize.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I like books offering different short stories in a single place. I like Coles' work. He covers genuine issues in a light way. His stories clearly reflect class-distinction, and disintegrated society. Thanks for this honest review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Thanks for taking your time to share the story with us. It sounds like a good one.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

Laura Bach wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 23:14 I like your way of describing the stories. I didn't like the book as much as you did because dark stories are not for me. I am glad you enjoyed it. Nice review!
Laura Bach expressed my thoughts. your choice of words is uncommon. This is not my sort of book though. Thanks for the review.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”