What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by briellejee »

Sweet Psamy wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 07:17 I think the author was just trying to be positive and instill faith in the reader.
I think she was. A lot of people claimed this too. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I have also lost a loved one to cancer (multiple loved ones). It is truly a battle against a disease that does nothing but sap the strength from you, physically and spiritually. This title seems very positive and geared toward lifting others' spirits.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

The title sounds a bit like one of those sweeping statements that suggests that the disease has finally been conquered. In fact, the book itself makes no such claims. In that respect, I believe an excellent work such as this deserves a better title. However, I am very curious to read anything with the word "cancer" in the title, so it wouldn't deter me from reading it at all.
jkwon3707K+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jkwon3707K+ »

B title sounds a bit like one of those sweeping statements that suggests that the disease has finally been conquered. In fact, the book itself makes no such claims. In that respect, I believe an excellent work such as this deserves a better title. However, I am very curious to read anything with the word "cancer" in the title, so it wouldn't deter me from reading it at all.
Bob+12
Currently Reading: The Expansion

Post by Bob+12 »

The tittle "winning the war on cancer" might be positive but the reality is we are losing, family, friends, workmates children on this enemy but I appreciate the author as positive minds brings the best in people
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I think the title is quite suitable. Also, it's catchy. Since the book is on cancer, the title seems ok to me.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I agree with you. The title gives a bit of false hope but I think the author had good intentions for doing that.
Zinhle027
Currently Reading:

Post by Zinhle027 »

From simply the title, the reader can tell that the author is subjective - only strives to bring hope. To those who are already in the final stage of cancer, the author gives them hope them that their children might never have to deal with such a cruel and crippling disease. Thus gives them hope, that they children will be finally free of cancer. And truly, thats a greatest gift you can give to the dying ones - simply to know that your children will never deal the cruel disease.
Pageturner2002
Currently Reading:

Post by Pageturner2002 »

I agree with the fact that the title may mislead the audience into believing that the war against cancer is winning. But it can also give a sense of hope also. I believe they intend to move in a more positive direction than to have a title full of negativity. Just my opinion though
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I struggle with this title as well but for different reasons. But the title is why I haven't been engaged to read the book yet, though I will sometime this month! To me, "Winning the War on Cancer" is too close to "Winning the War on Terrorism" which is a phrase I feel has been used too freely politically in the last couple decades. It also made me think it might be a personal memoir before I read the description. The subtitle "The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure" is better. I do look forward to reading the book!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
RaeReads
Favorite Book: A Game of Thrones
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by RaeReads »

I think the title inspires a positive mindset towards the subject, and that can be one of the best weapons available to those fighting the battle against cancer.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. " - George R.R. Martin
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

Cancer sickness has been taken out of context. People think cancer infection is a prelude to death. The title gives a glamour of hope to cancer patients. It induces a desire to read the book.
RyanRamseyReed

Post by RyanRamseyReed »

I believe the combination of the title and the book cover design will be a great attention grabber on Amazon. It will certainly standout in the recommended books section. In fact, this was the first book that caught my attention on this site.

Good job!
-RRR
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

The title is appealing to me as it imparts a sense of hope to the reader. The title catches the attention of the reader in a positive way. After all false hope is better than no hope at all.
summerleiann
Currently Reading: A Court of Mist and Fury
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by summerleiann »

I believe the word “winning” in this title means more that we are making strides towards a cure, not that they’re trying to say that one has been achieved. I myself think that upbeat titles like this give cancer patients hope.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”