Featured review by Mimiof3 -- Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mimiof3
Currently Reading: How To Capture A Duke
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimiof3.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Featured review by Mimiof3 -- Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by Mimiof3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mistress Suffragette" by Diana Forbes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

First, I must say that this was a book that I could not put down! I also did not want it to end! Diana Forbes is a master storyteller who leaves you wanting more.

Mistress Suffragette

Penelope Stanton is the 17 year old main character. She's a dutiful daughter who must weather some pretty serious storms. The era is the Gilded Age as well as a time called The Panic, where wealthy Americans were losing their income, their homes and their societal status. Penelope is jarred from the life she once knew and thrown into a world that is completely alien to her....she must work to earn a living. The catch? Her parents expect her to give all of her earnings to them. She has no intention of doing so and makes the decision to leave her beloved Newport and run away with her friend to Boston to join the suffrage movement. Through monumental and life altering decisions, she must map out her own life. From quiet Newport, Rhode Island, to bustling Boston, and on to fast-paced New York. From husband hunting (albeit reluctantly), to suffragist. This is a spellbinding story with twists and turns that will keep you in your favorite reading nook until you have finished it. (I admit I would slow my reading so I could savor the very last pages.)

I gave this story 4 out of 4 stars because I absolutely loved it from begging to end. Forbes beautifully paints for us each new setting. From a quiet life in her peaceful hometown, with horseback riding and small country galas, to big city noise and pollution and glitz of the upper echelons of society. The author details the period dress from makeup, jewelry, and even hygiene habits or lack thereof. The difficulty of being a single woman at that time and in different cities. The deep seeded friendships along the way and the inevitable homesickness that a young woman might feel after being away from the only home she's ever known. I loved the feeling of "being there" and experiencing everything that Penelope felt and saw. There was really nothing in this story that I didn't like or anything I would change. From marriage minded mamas to broken promises to dastardly gentlemen and a mixture of unlikely friends, who turn out to be the family she never knew she needed. It's all wrapped up into this heart warming and adventurous story!

I would recommend this book to any lover of history, an historical romance lover, such as myself, and anyone who loves a strong female lead character. I will most definitely reread this book.

Mistress Suffragette
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mimiof3's review? Post a comment saying so!
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

Sounds like a great read! I like that you point out the author's attention to detail in regards to the setting. I find this so important in historical fiction (or any writing, for that matter).
Timmy_32
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Timmy_32 »

I'm about to read this book
Akspezia
Currently Reading: The Islands of the Fox
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Akspezia »

MISTRESS SUFFRAGETTE by Diana Forbes. This is an entertaining historical romance book. Penelop Stanton who had to move to New York after her failed married. She got attracted to a millionaire Edgar Daggar who is also married. He kept coming after Penelope and even promised to help her in ways. But Penelope, in other to avoid Edger, she had to leave for Boston to become a speaker for women suffrage movement. Read the book to find out more about this romance book.
Shirley-Mercy 8
Favorite Book: Zeus Defied
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Shirley-Mercy 8 »

"the inevitable homesickness that a young woman might feel after being away from the only home she's ever known. I loved the feeling of "being there" and experiencing everything that Penelope felt and saw. "
This book makes you wanna go on reading...cant wait to get done with it
kitivakitiva07
Currently Reading: Code Name: Dodger
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by kitivakitiva07 »

Im reading this book Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes
and im getting hooked into it
jefftone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jefftone.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by jefftone »

i've started reading the book and indeed am getting more interested in it as i continue.
amafie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amafie.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by amafie »

I have challenged myself to find a book that has a strong female character, and I am quite excited to pick this book up and start reading it! Your review left me intrigued and my interests piqued as it seems to be a wonderful fit! Thank you for your detailed review. I am looking forward to reading this!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

It sounds like a book for any female searching for motivation and adventure. I am definitely going to add this to my bookshelves.
Lexybrawn
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexybrawn.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Lexybrawn »

This is like taking a peek into the feminists of circumstance from the past. And with a strong female character gracing the pages, it's definitely going to make an interesting read
QueMustReadJA
Favorite Book: Forgiven
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quemustreadja.html
Latest Review: Zeus Defied by Rez Khan

Post by QueMustReadJA »

Wow😔this official review done by Mimiof3 of Mistress Suffragette" by Diana Forbes reminds me of myself I would love to read it and in a few, will be adding it to my want to read shelve. I too had to choose my own path and go through things I didn't want to because of my home and own family which is sad but I did and we just got to do what we got to do. "We got one life so let's live" quoted from a song by singer and song writers Tarrus Riley and Konshens titles simple things. So absolutely true. I recommend that song to all so add it to ur music playlist.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

It's nice to know there're books like that out there. I'm not sure if I like this period, I don't find it to be very interesting, but I totally understand why this book captivated you. Thank you for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed the book.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
stangoz
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan

Post by stangoz »

This is a historical book I like the fiction
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

Nice review. Now I regret not picking it for reviewing myself! :)
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

This sounds like an amazing read, I will definitely have to add it to my list. Thank you for the review!
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”