Official Review: The Operator by Howard Gershkowitz

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Operator by Howard Gershkowitz

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Operator" by Howard Gershkowitz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Operator is Howard Gershkowtiz's debut novel and was inspired by a 1927 telephone switchboard at the historic Hassayampa Inn located in Prescott, Arizona. As Gershkowtiz mused about the hotel during the Roaring Twenties, his thoughts turned to historical events such as the Stock Market Crash of 1929, the Great Depression, and World War II. What if there was a way to go back in time and prevent the tragedies?

Stockbroker Harold Russell and his wife, Laura, take a trip to the small town of Prescott in hopes of rekindling their marriage. They stay at a charming hotel, and Harold admires the lobby's period pieces. He is intrigued when he notices a lovely young operator connecting calls on a vintage switchboard, but after realizing Laura doesn't see anyone working the console, Harold fears he may be hallucinating. Later that night, he again encounters the stunning operator, Talia Sanders. Apparently, Harold has somehow stumbled back in time, and they ring in the new year together. When he wakes up the following morning with Laura, Harold wonders if his time with Talia could have been a dream. However, a few days later, he awakens to find he has returned to 1929. This time, Harold explains to Talia that he has traveled through time from 2017. Though she initially doesn't believe him, Harold convinces her by sharing the impending tragedies that will impact the world. Together, they devise a plan they hope will prevent the Great Depression, but then Harold is thrust back into the present. Their efforts appear to have been in vain until Harold learns Talia has appointed him as the trustee of a billion-dollar account to help prevent the next great financial collapse. As Harold attempts to implement Talia's instructions, he is confronted by her greedy son who believes he is entitled to the money. Hoping he can once again travel back in time to seek Talia's help, Harold must wade through political corruption and dangerous liaisons--all while struggling to explain the turn of events to Laura.

Unlike anything I've read before, I found it hard to put down this suspenseful page-turner. The plot is creative, complex, and moves at a fast pace. The author does an excellent job of blending several genres including historical fiction, romance, sci-fi, and political thriller. Since I tend to steer away from sci-fi, I was impressed by the author's ability to keep me engaged through the end. He paid meticulous attention to details, successfully avoiding the plot gaps that might be associated with a time-travel storyline. Also, the author seamlessly bridged the relevant quandary regarding how one change in history might have multiple potentially adverse effects.

The strength of the book is its cast of well-developed characters who are relatable and will connect with readers. The protagonist, Harold, voices realistic and slightly humorous reactions and objections regarding his unintentional experiences with time travel. His time-travel partner, Talia, provides a glimpse into the life of a strong woman who is ahead of her time and becomes a social activist. At first glance, Harold's wife, Laura, comes across as the stereotypical nagging wife. However, as the story unfolds, she reveals hidden depth and fierce loyalty to Harold. I also appreciated the author's consistency related to specific periods in history including clothing, slang language, furnishings, and even the appropriate coins for the time.

Though hard-pressed to highlight any areas for improvement, my least favorite portions of the book are those dwelling on sci-fi jargon. When I read words like "wormholes, cosmic membrane, and multi-dimensional transdural synapses," my thoughts echo Harold's response, "I just stared at him, convinced he'd crossed the fine line between genius and gibberish." Even so, the phrases and terminology are integral to the plot and didn't detract from my overall reading enjoyment. Additionally, the book is professionally edited as I noted only a few errors.

I'm pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. With its effortless blending of genres, it will appeal to a wide range of readers including fans of historical fiction, political thrillers, romance, and even those who don't typically appreciate sci-fi. Due to plot-related violence and profanity, I recommend it to a mature audience.

The Operator
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This sounds like an awesome read. I have never read a book that managed to blend historical fiction, romance, sci-fi, and political thriller. It's clear from your review that the author managed to that seamlessly. I enjoy books about time travel, however, I'll have to pass because I am not a fan of violence and profanity in books. What an amazing review. Thank you!
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

Thanks for the in-depth review. This sounds like a fun read.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds so intriguing! Time travel paradoxes usually make my head spin, but I still read them. I wouldn't have thought of coming up with a story after looking at an old switchboard. The author must have quite the imagination! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ever_Reading wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 01:26 This sounds like an awesome read. I have never read a book that managed to blend historical fiction, romance, sci-fi, and political thriller. It's clear from your review that the author managed to that seamlessly. I enjoy books about time travel, however, I'll have to pass because I am not a fan of violence and profanity in books. What an amazing review. Thank you!
Thank you for your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

TJanowski23 wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 08:08 Thanks for the in-depth review. This sounds like a fun read.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 11:05 This sounds so intriguing! Time travel paradoxes usually make my head spin, but I still read them. I wouldn't have thought of coming up with a story after looking at an old switchboard. The author must have quite the imagination! Thanks.
It really was a creative approach. Thanks for your comment.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

You got my undivided attention with your captivating review, Cecilia! I also loved the premise behind the book. I think it's different from anything I have read before. Thank you so much. :tiphat:
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

The Operator sounds like a best seller and an award-winning movie opportunity! History, politics, and sci-fi are three genres I normally find to be boring and I would typically steer clear of them. This book, however, seems to be the opposite of boring in every way. I look forward to reading this creative page-turner!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 14:13 You got my undivided attention with your captivating review, Cecilia! I also loved the premise behind the book. I think it's different from anything I have read before. Thank you so much. :tiphat:
Thank you for your kind words, Ruba.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Jessacardinal wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 15:12 The Operator sounds like a best seller and an award-winning movie opportunity! History, politics, and sci-fi are three genres I normally find to be boring and I would typically steer clear of them. This book, however, seems to be the opposite of boring in every way. I look forward to reading this creative page-turner!
I hope you enjoy the book, Jessa. Thanks for your comment.
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

By simply reading this book, i have started to admire the character of Laura. I will read the book and thanks for the review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

esthersamone wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 06:33 By simply reading this book, i have started to admire the character of Laura. I will read the book and thanks for the review.
Thanks for your comment, Esther.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

A novel involving time traveling is always interesting! Thanks for a thorough review!
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Bad things usually happen with time travel but awesome stories also come from it. I'll have to look for this one. Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

Return to “Historical Fiction”