Review by praisecrown8 -- Chasing The Red Queen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praisecrown8.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Review by praisecrown8 -- Chasing The Red Queen

Post by praisecrown8 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chasing The Red Queen" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lisa, after the death of her husband, started off a new life with Carson. Anna (Lisa’s mother) forewarned Lisa of the danger that awaits them if they move to Canada. Donja (Lisa’s daughter) feeling uncomfortable with the move, especially getting along with Makayla (carson’s daughter).The two later get along .Donja celebrates her birthday in one of the hottest club in town called the Observers where they meet with Scarface (the Seventh Miggis), a very powerful spirit. Scarface goes after Donja to feed and mate with her with the hope of becoming a Sirun. He his stopped by Torin and Gage (Makayla’s boyfriend) who are Iridescents (vampire like),descendant of the Seventh Miggis. Antonio, a Sirun, a powerful Iridescent capable of turning mortals to their kind and morphing into invisibility, convinces Torin to take Donja as his consort(wife) to bear him a child, with the hope of becoming a Sirun.

Torin tells Donja how important she is as a Chippewa to the race of Iridescents. Her blood wanted by many(the red queen). Torin and “the Red Queen” relationship grew stronger.
Thereafter, Donja was kidnapped by Jonas, who took her to one of the most rich and powerful Iridescents, Garret. He needs Donja to free his Son (Zaroc) of the Seventh Miggis. Torin meets with Larkspur (Garrets consort), who agrees to help them, if he promises to help free Zaroc of the evil spirit.Torin, Antonio, Gage, Val, Milos (one of the Siruns who has thousands of army) and others, fought with Garret forces.

Donja was exchanged for Anna (Donja’s Grandmother), who has a similar blood type. Antonio, Anna’s former consort, couldn't bear to see Garret take Anna. Another battle occurred and they were able to free Anna and Zaroc,(from the Seventh Miggis). With the help of some wizards called Midewins. A circle of five was formed to take out the Seventh Miggis from Zaroc. The seventh was pulled beneath a churning wave, with the help of the Sixth Spirit summoned by the Midewins .Antonio, Gage and Torin took for themselves as consort Anna, Makayla, Donja respectively.

The story revolves around a young girl named Donja who was barely eighteen. Her blood giving Iridescents the hope of becoming a Sirun. Donja suffers from psychological distress after the death of her father. Her stepsister (Makayla) also suffers the same. Donja had to move, leaving her friends, family and comfort to a danger zone unseen by her. The start of the novel won’t give you any hint, that the novel had anything to do with immortals. I thought it was another (Romeo and Juliet plot). Donja recovering from the loss of her dad and her boyfriend dumping her because she refuses to have sex with him. Simultaneously, keeping the reader informed of the happenings in Canada. Torin and Gage investigating the crime scenes. Although that gives the reader a little hint, because the deaths were unnatural. Also, Torin's way of investigating testifies power not of this world. I mean, it is amazing. I was surprised how a lover story could revolve to a world of immortals who are somewhat terrifying.

The suspense at the end of the novel kept my eyes glued to the pages of this book as many other adventurous plots. Well it was also surprising that they weren't called vampires like some other books, but Iridescents. From my point of view, I think the novel needed a little tragedy, like the deaths of some important characters. I only recorded the death of Val (Torin's friend). It is well written and thought out. I guess this book will appeal mostly to teenagers and vampire fans. I commend Karen Glista for this fantastic story, this should speak well of her other books. It’s a nice story with an interesting plot that keeps your eyes glued to every page. The characters connects in a way that makes the novel enjoyable. I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book Chasing the Red Queen maintains the right tempo to keep the reader intrigued and wanting to know more. Thumbs up! :) :D :techie-studyinggray:

Chasing The Red Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like praisecrown8's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Sounds like a complex story, I think you may need more review and less summary though.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

It got my attention though, seemingly it is a complex plot. Do not let the most of your review to be the summary of the book
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

This book sounds quite complex, but I agree with the other comments. What makes this book stand out amongst the vast ocean of vampire novels? I'm a bit curious (there are only so many times the same story can be told).
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's good to know that you've found the piece read-worthy. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Primrose Mhlanga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primrose-mhlanga.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Primrose Mhlanga »

At first glance you'd assume that Donja and Mikayla would be the typical stepsisters on each other's throat but they surprise you. I loved how quickly they get along and learn more about each other. That's quite rare especially if you have to move from one family to another. The overall book had a great plot line that I didn't want the book to end just yet. Thank you for the opportunity to read your review and thoughts on the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”