Official Review: Daughters of the Dance by Armida Nagy Rose

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Official Review: Daughters of the Dance by Armida Nagy Rose

Post by Sunnyroyish »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Daughters of the Dance" by Armida Nagy Rose.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hardly had I come across a book that combined history, love, war, slavery and spirituality into one beautiful story. Daughters Of The Dance by Armida Nagy Rose is one of them. The story is about a family of female dancers Dara, Ayana and Nona living in Curacao Island.

Ayana woke up after two years of suspended mental state. She suffered from severe depression after getting departed from her husband, Stefan. Sandor, who was the complete opposite of Stefan, always had sexual intentions towards Ayana. He separated the two lovebirds at the time of World War 2. Ayana, who was bearing the child of Stefan, went back to her mother Dara and gave birth to Nona. Time passed, and Nona grew to be a beautiful young lady. She fell in love with a handsome young man, Ariel. Sandor became a powerful barrister and a candidate for a judgeship in the Dutch Antilles. However, his days of happiness were soon going to be over. Awiti, who was the slave of Sandor, was often sexually exploited by him. She couldn't tolerate more when she came to know that her daughter had a relationship with Sandor. She made a plan, and with the help of Yellie, she taught Sandor a lesson. After completing her PhD in Art History, Nona soon married the love of her life and gave birth to a child Myra. They moved to Trinidad and lived happily thereafter.

The life of Dara, Ayana and Nona were captivating. The story was heartbreaking but also inspiring. The plight of slaves, especially women of the mid-20th century was disheartening to read. Also, the mass murder of Jews during World War 2 was covered very well. Stefan was one of the victims because he was a Jew. The Geopolitics of different European nations during that time was elaborately discussed to make the story more relatable. Even though the story is transpiring at the time of a war, it has a strong spiritual dimension to it. Ayana is portrayed as a very spiritual lady. According to Ayana, her dance is a way to experience the divine. Even sex is a tool for her to experience bliss and ultimate union. I think Ayana was the most well-developed character in the book. Other characters such as Dara, Nona, Sandor, Stefan and Ariel were also developed well. The book was very informative. It had everything such as Art, History, Politics, Eastern Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality. The author must be an expert in History to write all those things. There are different languages used in the book such as Dutch, German, Ladino, Papiamentu and Spanish. However, the meanings of these words are given at the end of every chapter. I struggled to understand those words because I was reading a Kindle version of the book.

There is a little about the book that I disliked. It felt that the ending was overstretched. The story could have ended earlier because Sandor was punished and almost everything was sorted out. But it's entirely my opinion and other readers can differ on that aspect. The book was mostly error-free. I spotted minor typos here and there that hardly affected the reading experience. I found some unusual bold letters in the book. Overall, the book was enjoyable and informative.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The minor typos didn't really affect the quality of the book. Hence, the score must be 4 out of 4. The book is recommended to those who like art, history or love stories. There is a lot of sexual content in the book. So children should stay away from it.

Daughters of the Dance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sunnyroyish's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I can’t help but think about how incredibly confusing and terrifying it would be to wake up after two years. It sounds like it would be hard to read through the gloomy topics covered in this book, but also enlightening to those who may not know much about the times of slavery and war. I like the idea of the reader being able to expand upon their vocabulary via the mix in languages. It’s too bad the author couldn’t find a different way to define the words within the immediate text. Ultimately, while I adore a great love story, history usually isn’t my cup of tea. This sounds like an intriguing read for the right audience.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Jessacardinal wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 11:01 I can’t help but think about how incredibly confusing and terrifying it would be to wake up after two years. It sounds like it would be hard to read through the gloomy topics covered in this book, but also enlightening to those who may not know much about the times of slavery and war. I like the idea of the reader being able to expand upon their vocabulary via the mix in languages. It’s too bad the author couldn’t find a different way to define the words within the immediate text. Ultimately, while I adore a great love story, history usually isn’t my cup of tea. This sounds like an intriguing read for the right audience.
The story is great but it's definitely not for everyone. Thanks for your comment.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I like the sound of the spirituality and dance themes in this book, as well as the setting. I'd love to visit that part of the world someday. Thanks for a fascinating review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 16:55 I like the sound of the spirituality and dance themes in this book, as well as the setting. I'd love to visit that part of the world someday. Thanks for a fascinating review!
Thanks for commenting.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

As you stated in the beginning of your review, this book is indeed unique in its contents. I believe this book will be for mature audience considering the heavy subject matter. Thank you for providing us with a succint review. I enjoyed reading it.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It had everything such as Art, History, Politics, Eastern Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality. The author must be an expert in History to write all those things. There are different languages used in the book such as Dutch, German, Ladino, Papiamentu and Spanish. However, the meanings of these words are given at the end of every chapter. I struggled to understand those words because I was reading a Kindle version of the book.
This story is full of everything I love! I enjoy very much WWII books and the spiritual side of this one makes it an original and very interesting read. I'm glad the characters are well-developed or it could've ruined an awesome plot.
It's also a great asset that the author includes the meaning of foreign words.
A very thorough review, thanks!
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Shrabastee wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 20:48 As you stated in the beginning of your review, this book is indeed unique in its contents. I believe this book will be for mature audience considering the heavy subject matter. Thank you for providing us with a succint review. I enjoyed reading it.
Yes, mature and intelligent audience is needed to fully understand the profoundness of this book.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Lunastella wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 21:46
It had everything such as Art, History, Politics, Eastern Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality. The author must be an expert in History to write all those things. There are different languages used in the book such as Dutch, German, Ladino, Papiamentu and Spanish. However, the meanings of these words are given at the end of every chapter. I struggled to understand those words because I was reading a Kindle version of the book.
This story is full of everything I love! I enjoy very much WWII books and the spiritual side of this one makes it an original and very interesting read. I'm glad the characters are well-developed or it could've ruined an awesome plot.
It's also a great asset that the author includes the meaning of foreign words.
A very thorough review, thanks!
Yes, it's a well-written novel.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that you enjoyed this one. It seems like it has some great themes in it. Due to the sexual content, I'm not sure it's for me. I appreciated your review, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

There are parts of this book I would probably enjoy like the historical features. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of the sexual content, so I wouldn't read this one. Thanks for your review.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 10:04 I'm glad that you enjoyed this one. It seems like it has some great themes in it. Due to the sexual content, I'm not sure it's for me. I appreciated your review, though. Thanks.
I'm glad that you enjoyed my review!
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

melissy370 wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 15:32 There are parts of this book I would probably enjoy like the historical features. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of the sexual content, so I wouldn't read this one. Thanks for your review.
Thanks for commenting!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your description of the different generations. I appreciate the warning about the sexual content. Thanks fora thoughtful review.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

kdstrack wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 15:47 I enjoyed your description of the different generations. I appreciate the warning about the sexual content. Thanks fora thoughtful review.
Thanks for your reply.

Return to “Historical Fiction”