Is this book convincing / attractive to sceptics?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Is this book convincing / attractive to sceptics?

Post by a9436 »

I am not very far into the book yet, but as an anti-capitalist who has been let down by Western doctors, I was instantly drawn to the blurb and OBC review. I am sure I will find the book fascinating.

However, I do wonder who Winning the War on Cancer will appeal to in general - will the author metaphorically be, "preaching to the choir?" In my community, any mention of support for alternative medicine, or lack of support for established corporations, gets one labeled as a, "crazy hippy," or, "naiive," and a friend was only telling me yesterday about a British soap opera which is currently portraying non-chemotherapy cancer treatments as ridiculous and dangerous. Personally, I doubt that many people I know would consider reading a different perspective, despite the inclusion of proven science, and I find that highly disappointing.

Those of you who are further into the book - do you think the text is written in a way that will encourage sceptics to re-think? Or does it come across as too radical? What do you think of the cover - does that serve to attract or discourage opponents?
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

However, I do wonder who Winning the War on Cancer will appeal to in general - will the author metaphorically be, "preaching to the choir?" In my community, any mention of support for alternative medicine, or lack of support for established corporations, gets one labeled as a, "crazy hippy," or, "naiive," and a friend was only telling me yesterday about a British soap opera which is currently portraying non-chemotherapy cancer treatments as ridiculous and dangerous. Personally, I doubt that many people I know would consider reading a different perspective, despite the inclusion of proven science, and I find that highly disappointing.
You may be right, in that the majority will always go with the medical model and what is considered the "Gold Standard".

However, I am a Chiropractor who has attended hundreds of hours of continuing education seminars in Nutrition. These seminars include the use of whole food supplements and herbs. There is a growing desire among the public to be treated with natural methods. So I can tell you, that not only are there many alternative professionals (Chiropractors, Naturopaths, Massage Therapists, Acupuncturists) who would use this information (or this kind of information), but they have clients and patients who seek them out for their advice.

But as they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink, and every patient has the right to their chosen treatment. But it can be sad when you clearly see that a treatment is not working well with a certain patient.

Several years ago I had a patient whose husband had cancer. During his first chemotherapy treatment he almost died and treatment had to be stopped. When she told me this, I thought she was asking for my advice, so I told her of some places I knew which combined alternative and medical treatments. The look of shock on her face has stayed with me for years. She was aghast that I would suggest such a thing! Sadly the man died within a few weeks. Not surprising to me at all.

As to the Soap Opera, for years the only appearance by a Chiropractor in the media was Alan Harper (Jon Cryer), the idiot brother of Charlie Harper (Charlie Sheen) in Two and Half Men. It hasn't slowed down my profession any, but it does hurt a bit! LOL!!

:text-happynewyear:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

I suppose it really boils down to if the author manages to keep a neutral, fact presenting voice and back up claims with actual data not just "I heard of one person who tried it and it worked".
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

The author's writing style is clear and concise. It is also backed with scientific evidence. I am not so certain,though,that this would be enough to shake the beliefs of the advocates of orthodox medicine.
Brianryan
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brianryan »

The author's writing style is clear and concise. It is also backed with scientific evidence.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I actually do not intend to read this because I'm a skeptic. While I'd be willing to look at natural means as a side dish, there's no way I'd use such treatments as the entrée, not with something as serious as cancer. Fortunately, I don't have cancer and therefore don't need either.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I think this book will appeal more to people who are actually looking for alternative healing instead of skeptics. Skeptics won't give this a second look at all. I fall somewhere in the middle because I believe in the "cut, burn, and poison" methods of getting rid of cancer. It is an aggressive disease and it needs an aggressive approach. A lot of cancers are also fast-growing, and honestly, alternative medicine may not be quick enough to suppress the disease. However, I believe that alternative treatments for patients who are in the early stages (0-2) can work. It can also be beneficial in preventing the disease from coming back.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I'm not too far into the book either, but I also had the "choir" thought. Then again, I had an experience that rocked my world (not life-threatening but enough to get me thinking and scary). Based on something someone I know told me about natural treatment, this experience got me to research natural options. From there, I now go natural whenever I can. So, I think it will be mostly to the "choir," but there will be those who take the plunge and change their thinking. At least, that's my take.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

I'm always slightly skeptical of "all-natural" methods. People's definitions can vary so drastically as to what that term encompasses. That being said, I have seen some pretty incredible things, and I am open to learning about alternative medicine. As far as cancer goes, western medicine does not always save people. I think it is good that there are options for people, especially for those who do not want or can't tolerate chemo and radiation.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

I think that is based the readers mindset a little. If someone is more on the side of what is regarded as "normal treatment " for cancer they may be put off by reading it. For a reader who has an open mind towards alternative treatment, then it will convincing and great read.
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Natural remedies are akin to praying for a cure. I think they both rely on belief. The more you believe, the better it will work. However, most people interested in alternative medicine are viewed differently than those that pray. It is an interesting intersection. Perhaps skeptics will be curious to see what the (much deserved) hype is and find a way to blend it with more western solutions.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

MsTri wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 12:07 I actually do not intend to read this because I'm a skeptic. While I'd be willing to look at natural means as a side dish, there's no way I'd use such treatments as the entrée, not with something as serious as cancer. Fortunately, I don't have cancer and therefore don't need either.
Ah ha, but this isn't a typical alternative medicine book. The author and her father recommend using these herbs alongside conventional cancer treatment methods. You might want to reconsider.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've found, especially when it comes to medicine, skeptics will not change their minds even presented with overwhelming evidence. We have this false belief that doctors are gods who can do no wrong. Sometimes, people don't want to change their beliefs.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

I am quite skeptical but the book decreases my skepticism to some extent.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I have not read much of the book, but I have been open to both natural remedies and medication in the past, and probably will continue to be so in the future. I have never been convinced to try something based on one book/ article I have read. Therefore, while this book may not convince someone 100%, it may spark some interest and help someone learn something new. In regards to other people, I think it depends on how open minded they are to different perspectives. The thing is, the degree of open mindedness a person has, can vary at times. Someone may read this book this month and not be influenced, but 5 years later that person might be at a point where he/she is willing to listen and research.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”