Review by Charlyt -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review by Charlyt -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Charlyt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lieutenant James Munro was in Syria fighting the pro-Nazi Vichy French when he met Corporal Jack O’Brien, also known as Jacko. Jacko was a half-aboriginal from Tennant Creek in Australia and was blessed with the mystic skills of the Warramunga, and he saved Jaime’s life when he was wounded in the battlefield. With this new friendship, they were both transferred to Cairo and were reassigned to become an operative under MI6 to track down German spies. As they undertake their undercover work, they find their group caught up with a disturbing crime happening in the city.

The Warramunga's War is the first book of the historical fiction Warramunga Series written by Greg Kater. Set during the Second World War, between 1941 and 1945, it tells the story of the two army officers with their group as they live their undercover lives in Cairo, Egypt. Even after the war, and after going back home to Australia, Jamie and Jacko’s friendship and adventure continue as they try to track down and capture wanted German wartime spies.

Having watched a lot of war movies, I was curious as to how it would translate being narrated in a book. I have to say that I was very pleased with the story descriptions and progression. The story was not about the action of exchanging bullets in the battlefield, but it was rather focused on the strategies of being undercover and using assets to apprehend the enemy, and how they used them to their advantage to try to win one of the many battles during the war. The story was far from being flat and dull as it captured my interest in how battles were fought without the need to draw blood. I also liked that they have their own personal time during the narrative as it makes the characters more real. It also made me curious about the Warramunga because I haven’t heard about them before, and I liked that their special skills were highlighted and used as an advantage.

At the first few chapters, I thought that some dialogues felt monotonous. These were during the introductions of some characters to each other. But I thought that these were probably in the attempt to get the basic information out of the way early on because the dialogues improved after that. Other than this, I didn’t have any issue with the book and I enjoyed the flow of the story a lot. I found only one error in the book wherein the author seemed to confuse Jacko’s name with Jaime, but aside from that, the book seemed well edited.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Reading the first book of the series made me like the partnership between Jaime and Jacko, and also curious about what stories the next books would tell about them. I would recommend this book to any reader who likes historical fiction, anyone interested in war stories, or even anyone who likes spy stories.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like Charlyt's review? Post a comment saying so!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

The story was not about the action of exchanging bullets in the battlefield, but it was rather focused on the strategies of being undercover and using assets to apprehend the enemy, and how they used them to their advantage to try to win one of the many battles during the war.
I strongly agree with this! I liked that about this book. Thanks for your great review. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I am not a war fiction fan but probably a spy fiction fan. As you said the story doesn't focus on the bloodshed in battlefield but on the strategieof war. I think this would be an interesting read.
Thanks a lot for the review Charlyt☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 17:21
The story was not about the action of exchanging bullets in the battlefield, but it was rather focused on the strategies of being undercover and using assets to apprehend the enemy, and how they used them to their advantage to try to win one of the many battles during the war.
I strongly agree with this! I liked that about this book. Thanks for your great review. :)
Me, too. It kept the story interesting. You're welcome!
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Zimall wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 00:16 I am not a war fiction fan but probably a spy fiction fan. As you said the story doesn't focus on the bloodshed in battlefield but on the strategieof war. I think this would be an interesting read.
Thanks a lot for the review Charlyt☺
It is! The book is also well written. You're welcome!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”