Official Review: The Little Scrub Christmas Tree

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: The Little Scrub Christmas Tree

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Little Scrub Christmas Tree" by Dr. Raymond Dunn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Raymond Dunn’s The Little Scrub Christmas Tree is an illustrated children’s book about a Christmas tree farm that has different types of trees. The trees compete with each other to be the best tree at the farm. For example, Roots is a Colorado blue spruce who shows off his long needles, and Barks, a Fraser Fir, feels he has the nicest shape. In a nearby forest, scrub trees grow wild and are considered unattractive. When a crow unwittingly carries a pine seed from the scrub forest to the farm, a scrub tree, Scrubby, starts growing among the majestic trees.

Scrubby feels inadequate among the fancier trees. While the other trees discuss who might be chosen for prestigious sites (Rockefeller Center, the White House, etc.), he is content to be friends with the birds, insects, and farm animals. With extra care and attention, will Scrubby become special in his own way?

This is one of those stories that sneaks up on you and steals your heart. When I first started reading about the various tree characters, I thought this would be a cute yet forgettable book. Once Scrubby enters the picture, the story begins to sparkle. I quickly found myself rooting for this sweet underdog to be appreciated.

The author does a wonderful job of developing the tree characters. They are described well and love to brag about their attributes. The Christmas tree farmer loves their competitive spirit as it inspires each tree to look their best. This adds depth to the story as it shows the positive aspects of competition. I also like the way Scrubby is described as the polar opposite of the other trees. Instead of boasting about himself, he is nice to everyone and focused on enjoying life.

The author writes in an easy-to-understand style, without being too simplistic. The story contains a valuable lesson about kindness and accepting others for who they are. Also, general facts about various trees are mentioned. This provides a nice, easy way for children to learn a few tidbits about different types of trees.

The beautiful artwork adds pizazz to the story. Each tree character is depicted with a distinctive face on their trunk, and their facial expressions tie in well with the plot. Of course, I am partial to Scrubby who has the cutest face.

This book has easily earned a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It’s refreshing to see an indie book that is professionally edited and formatted, with no errors. Although the beginning passages are somewhat bland, I became enchanted once the pine seed was transported to the Christmas tree farm. The book would be a perfect choice for a read-aloud to younger children ages 3-8; intermediate readers can read the story on their own. Fans of nature-themed stories would find this one particularly fun to read.

The Little Scrub Christmas Tree
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Elijah2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Elijah2018 »

The author do not emphasize more on importance of Christmas trees and their categories on how it impact on children yuletide seasons.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A children’s book about a Christmas tree farm which protagonists are trees sounds sweet. Easy-to-understand style, valuable lessons, and good illustrations make a good read. That it was well-edited is another bonus. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Great review as always!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Aww! I can see myself rooting for Scrubby already. I bet he grows up to be a big, strong, majestic tree himself. I hope he learns from the other trees. Thanks for the review. Another fun children's book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This one's a great read for this season of giving and sharing.

Given my curious nature, I wonder how the Christmas Tree 🌲 tradition started. Maybe Joyce Kilmer would know.
Marklimbo17
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marklimbo17 »

Haha I also wonder how the Christmas tree 🎄 tradition started till now
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This really does sound like a delightful children's book. It's also nice to hear it was edited so well. Thanks for the recommendation!
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I think what makes this book so successful is that it tackles the idea of acceptance without using human characters. This book also includes some information on trees, which can be very valuable in classrooms (since science has been cut from so many public schools). I would love to get a copy of this book to read to my second graders.
:character-ariel:
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

What a fun and creative way to tell an educational story! I definitely look forward to reading this book.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Trees competing with each other? sounds intriguing. I want to read this book.
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to leave a comment! I think the author did a great job of using different trees' characteristics to emphasize a message of acceptable and kindness.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The opening comments about how the author has described the trees caught my attention. Children will learn that trees can be different too! The story line just adds more to this sweet story. Thanks for a wonderful review. I am in tears without even having read the book yet!
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Scrubby sounds like he could be Charlie Brown's tree before CB found him. What a lovely idea for a story. Thanks for the introduction!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This sounds like an incredibly cute story. Scrubby sounds adorable! I need to go save it to my Amazon list for Christmas ideas for 2019!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly an interesting book. Nice review as well. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Children's Books”