Review by stoppoppingtheP -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Review by stoppoppingtheP -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!, written and illustrated by Len Foley, is a children’s picture book for younger children. It is a short book of about twenty-five pages which can be easily read in one sitting.

This book is an amusing tale about the search for a rather disturbing smell. Sigfried, the main character of the story, is a kid who is on a mission to find out where the disgusting, stinky smell is coming from. There are various objects that are found in the book that may be the source of the smell. These range from an old pizza slice used as a bookmark, to the yellow stain on the page where the dog peed. However, Sigfried finally finds out the source of the smell and sets out to get rid of it.

As a children’s book, this story has a child as the main character, so that children can easily relate to the story. Another important aspect that children can relate to, are the sensory devices used. The pictures and images are colorful and vivid. The images are made up of photos combined with cute, cartoonish drawings. All the smells of the different objects that are found are described in all their awfulness and grossness. The author also uses rhyming words and alliteration. In this way, children are able to hear the way that different sounds and syllables are pronounced. When reading this book to a child, the child will be exposed to the senses of sound, smell and sight.

What is important about a children’s book, in my opinion, is that it must be interesting so that both the adult reader and the child enjoys the story. Since this is a book for younger readers, adults will most probably be reading the story for the children in their care. Children’s books are not stories that are only read once. It is something that is repeatedly read, especially if the child enjoys the story. For this reason, it should be interesting and amusing for both, and not be tiresome to read multiple times.

I certainly enjoyed reading the book. I found it amusing, liked the colorful pictures, and liked the storyline. I am sure many parents and kids would enjoy the story too. I have a lot of experience reading storybooks to my younger siblings, and I know that this is something that they would have enjoyed.

The story is well written, amusing and engaging. The pictures and layout are attractive. In fact, I found no fault at all with this book. I would recommend this book to all of those who have younger kids. It would be a perfect bedtime story and would also be a great book to foster a love of reading. Therefore, I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. My only hope is that children don’t follow Sigfried’s lead in the way that he deals with his stinky sock situation.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I also reviewed Sigfried's Smelly Socks!, but I rated it a star lower than you did. Many of the sections were too complex for kids to read, which is why I gave it a lower score. Great review!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”