Official Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Official Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Am Not Gog" by Matthew James Hunt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I found myself forgetting that this was a work of fiction, for within the pages is the type of bizarreness that can only be found in reality – the way real life can unfold into chaos and is wrought with unforeseeable events. Truth be told, fiction is much more predictable.

At the end of the book, when I was tempted to Google Lydia Japhethson, I had to remind myself that she is a fictional character. That someone so wonderfully unique and beautifully flawed never actually existed is a pity. I began this book on a wary note, unsure of the likeability of the protagonist. However, I closed the book somewhat heartbroken because I had come to the end of a story of a character I had begun to adore.

I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt is the story of a child who had been bullied and abused until she reached her breaking point and became an unhinged middle-aged woman. Driven to insanity by the loathsome behavior inflicted upon her, Lydia felt she had no other option than to take revenge on the only person in close vicinity associated with the abhorrent acts from her childhood. With a gun and a plan, the supermarket standoff was only the beginning of her journey. Readers are taken on a life-changing and character-driven journey with Lydia as she leaves the only home she has ever known and sets off to confront her past, which is the only way she can put it behind her.

I Am Not Gog is a reminder to captive audiences that stand back and observe atrocious actions without interfering that their inaction and attention reinforces the doer's behavior and makes them equally compliant. It is also a story of growth, friendship, and the quest for freedom. Everything about this book moved me – the unpredictable characters, the unsettling actions of the protagonist and people in her life, and the ending. When I end a book with tears in my eyes, I know I have just finished a masterpiece. The British dialogue in this story was believable and fun to read. I Am Not Gog is well-deserving of its rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

While this story is not a biography or memoir, it reads like one, and it will appeal to readers who find those enjoyable. The sayings, quirks and some of the predicaments that the protagonist finds herself in are also funny, and anyone who enjoys a good laugh who find pleasure reading this book. There is some serious content, such as abuse and gun violence, which is not suitable for children. While there are instances of sexual innuendos and intimacy, there are no explicit details.

I Am Not Gog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JuliaKay's review? Post a comment saying so!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This seems like an interesting and engaging read. I like the the protagonist is a lady that's unpredictable. I also like that the books talk about friendship and growth. You've done a good job reviewing this one.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

It's been a while since I came across such a passionate and heartfelt review! Suffice it to say that I'm adding this book to my TBR list right away. Thanks for the great insight. :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I read this. It definitely was quite realistic. I thought it was based on reality as well. Guess the author just does that good of a job. Thanks. Nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Anyab83
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anyab83 »

Wow, this is seriously a great review! Have added this to my reading list for future bedtime reading. I have to say your description of the book was so well done that within less than a paragraph I knew I wanted to read it! Thank you!
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

This is a unique concept and I can tell it's had a profound effect on you. It sounds like a gripping read and I shall definitely check it out.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I found myself forgetting that this was a work of fiction, for within the pages is the type of bizarreness that can only be found in reality – the way real life can unfold into chaos and is wrought with unforeseeable events. Truth be told, fiction is much more predictable.
I agree, but you've expressed those thoughts more wonderfully than I've ever come up with so far. Thank you for your profound review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

While I would love to meet this character, I can't read books that involve hostages at gun point or robbery. I may look into this book if I change my mind on that plot point.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It is interesting that the fictional character, Lydia, seemed to be a real person by how the book was written from her point of view. The book touches on an important issue of bullying and its consequences. I do wonder who is "Gog"?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A story of redemption revolving around a woman who was driven to insanity and want to avenge her wrongdoers sounds too intense for me. Realistic and unpredictable characters make the story believable. It is good that the book has some comic relief. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I don't really fancy books that containing bullying content. I however will try out I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt,the story of a child who had been bullied and abused until she reached her breaking point and became an unhinged middle-aged woman. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Early experiences can have such a strong effect on a person. This book seems realistic and engaging. The review was extremely enticing.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 553
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

The protagonist of this story is Lydia who had been bullied in her childhood and to put her past behind she wants to take revenge from her tormentor. This story has some fun as well as violent moments.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Bullying and abusing is a worse thing that is not liked by anyone in this universe. Especially the childhood abuse is very much hurtful. Thanks for your review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a contemporary women's fiction novel that highlights gun control, determination and poor choices. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an excellent mind-blowing OnlineBookClub review. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats @IAMNOTGOG for the BOTD.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”