Review by fernsmom -- The Easter Make Believers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Review by fernsmom -- The Easter Make Believers

Post by fernsmom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Easter Make Believers" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Readers that despise cliffhangers and enjoy the mystery genre, detective stories, and surprise endings will appreciate Fin Bell’s The Easter Make Believer. However, this book omits any romance and might be a little disappointing to fans of the genre.

This detective story’s main characters are Nick Cooper and his partner Tobe White. They work for Gang Intelligence (GIC) and they receive a call with a hostage situation. The police are told by neighbors that all four members of the Chen family are in the house and that a masked man was seen in the hallway. The criminals refuse to talk to the negotiator and shots are fired continuously at the police. Suddenly, a shot is heard inside the house and before the police can get inside there are two explosions. When the police storm inside the house they shoot all the criminals and find that the mother was injured by the shot they heard. The kids appear to be fine, but the father is missing. It is surmised that the father is kidnapped and the race is on to bring back the father alive.

One of the reasons I enjoyed reading The Easter Make Believers so much was the great character development of Officers Nick and Tobe. I was captivated by their enticing and unique personalities. Other minor characters, including Officer Maud, stood out to me on account of their originality. Maud seemed like a mix of an FBI profiler, Sherlock Holmes, and a computer hacker. I wish that Maud would have been a more prominent character in the story because he was one of my favorites.

There is much to rave about in this book including the non-stop action, fascinating characters, suspense, unexpected twists, and a surprise ending that left me stunned. Although the surprise ending was what I liked most about the book, it is also what I liked least. It wasn’t the ending that I would have chosen, but it was a fantastic twist that I never would have guessed! One thing that wasn’t my favorite was how a few chapters, that just primarily explained a storm coming in grave detail, didn’t have the intense action that the rest of the book did.

I am gladly giving The Easter Make Believers 4 out of 4 stars as there wasn’t really anything that I felt took away from the enjoyment of the read. It was professionally edited with only one error, so there was no reason to deduct a star in my rating for that either. I look forward to reading more books written by Finn Bell.

The Easter Make Believers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like fernsmom's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like an enticing read. I have already fallen for Maud, Nick and Tobe! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

You got me with the mentioning of genres that this book belongs to. Thanks for the detailed review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Cotwani wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 15:10 Sounds like an enticing read. I have already fallen for Maud, Nick and Tobe! Great review!
Thanks for your comment! Was a great detective/mystery book and wouldn't have ever guessed the ending. Hope you had great holidays
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Sushan wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 19:42 You got me with the mentioning of genres that this book belongs to. Thanks for the detailed review 👍👍
Thanks for your comment, I'll of course return the favor. If you do end up reading it if you don't mind let me know what you thought of the ending please. I was totally shocked. Hope you had great holidays!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

fernsmom wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 07:39
Sushan wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 19:42 You got me with the mentioning of genres that this book belongs to. Thanks for the detailed review 👍👍
Thanks for your comment, I'll of course return the favor. If you do end up reading it if you don't mind let me know what you thought of the ending please. I was totally shocked. Hope you had great holidays!
Sure. Holiday season is not actually holiday for me. This is study leave for us :cry2: :cry2:
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I've thought about reviewing this book, but the summary on the review page didn't seem too interesting. I'm glad you clarified a lot of things in this review. Not having romance will be a nice change of pace--all that mushy stuff can get annoying after so long. :)
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Great review as always, Linda! I love your insights! I have also read and reviewed this one, though my rating differs from yours. I guessed the second last twist, but the very last one had me real sad. It is amazing how Bell makes his readers ponder over so many unanswered questions even in a fast-paced thriller. Good character development is also one of the strong points, I agree! All in all, I enjoyed this very much. Thanks for the review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

One of the reasons I enjoyed reading The Easter Make Believers so much was the great character development of Officers Nick and Tobe. I was captivated by their enticing and unique personalities. Other minor characters, including Officer Maud, stood out to me on account of their originality. Maud seemed like a mix of an FBI profiler, Sherlock Holmes, and a computer hacker. I wish that Maud would have been a more prominent character in the story because he was one of my favorites.
This book has everything I love. Character development is so important for me in a novel and makes it much easier for me to get involved in the story. It's unusual to see detective characters that are well fleshed out, they're usually portrayed as unidimensional heroes. Oh, and I love good plot twists!
This novel is definitely going to my to-read shelf. Thanks!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

What could be the real connection between Easter and this story? I'm intrigued. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”