Official Review: The Hand of Destiny by Martin Jones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Hand of Destiny by Martin Jones

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Hand of Destiny" by Martin Jones.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

George Melville is an investigative officer who has just received some rather shocking and life-altering news when His Majesty's Secret Service requests his assistance. Leaving behind his pregnant wife, he travels across the globe and must fight for his life in the pre-WWII espionage, The Hand of Destiny: Book Two A George Melville Mystery by Martin Jones.

In this short read, Melville interacts with a Chinese undergraduate student, a gay professor of antiquities, a female pilot, an Indian prince, and a Nazi general. The author's inclusion of such a diverse range of characters is admirable and significant in light of the pre-WWII timeline. I was also intrigued by the premise of the book; Melville is ostensibly an investigator for a law firm, though while on a mission for His Majesty's Secret Service becomes involved in espionage. As the second book in the George Melville Mystery Series, it seems to stand on its own. Unfortunately, despite the positive features above, the book is poorly executed.

There are several issues that hindered my enjoyment of this book. First, I found the author's verbose writing style distracting. A few examples of this are reflected in his tendencies to repeatedly describe the details of almost every meal he consumes and his flowery descriptions of the weather at any given moment. While occasional nods to delicious food or the appearance of the clouds might be illuminating, the repetitive habit has the opposite effect. Instead, it seems as if these are just tools employed to fill the brief 117 pages.

Next, there are aspects of the plot that don't ring true. In one instance, an estate employee is serving the meal and interjects his opinion which reveals an awareness of the estate owner's private financial arrangements. In the circumstances given, the employee's familiarity is inappropriate, and realistically, it seems unlikely he would be privy to such information. Another example is Melville's reaction when he learns he has received an inheritance. Without exposing any spoilers, I find it difficult to imagine anyone responding similarly despite dealing with grief or even shock.

Finally, there are numerous errors in both grammar and punctuation. I did read a PDF copy but with awkward unpunctuated phrasing such as "...he asked it seemed hopefully", it presents more like a rough draft. The copious errors can't be disregarded--there are ten within the first eight pages alone. Unfortunately, the errors persist throughout the book.

For all of the above reasons, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Overall, while I appreciate the diversity of characters, the book would benefit from a thorough edit. Even so, it may appeal to fans of espionage who can look beyond the editorial issues.

The Hand of Destiny
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I really thought about reviewing this one, but I'm glad I didn't. The descriptions of every meal in such a short book would drive me bonkers. I'm going to pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Dec 2018, 15:50 I really thought about reviewing this one, but I'm glad I didn't. The descriptions of every meal in such a short book would drive me bonkers. I'm going to pass.
Exactly. Thanks for your comment.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

WW - II related fictions are always interesting for me. Nice review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sushan wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 06:21 WW - II related fictions are always interesting for me. Nice review. Thank you 👍👍
Thank you, Sushan. :tiphat:
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

That's too bad. I can sympathize with the temptation to make the wording overly flowery. It might be fun to write that way, but the reader needs to be considered. Hopefully, the author can learn from these good points and revise the story.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

JordanKSmith wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 11:39 That's too bad. I can sympathize with the temptation to make the wording overly flowery. It might be fun to write that way, but the reader needs to be considered. Hopefully, the author can learn from these good points and revise the story.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Unless the food has poison in it, I'd rather not read about it in a thriller. The weather would matter if a sniper's bullet misses because of it. (Obviously, I've been reading many C/T/M/H stories.)

And I see the period in bold, LOL!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Oh, dear. I would hate to read a book like this. You didn't mention, but if the descriptions of the food were good, I would just be tempted to eat through the whole thing.
I love this review, thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Miriam Molina wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 20:32 Unless the food has poison in it, I'd rather not read about it in a thriller. The weather would matter if a sniper's bullet misses because of it. (Obviously, I've been reading many C/T/M/H stories.)

And I see the period in bold, LOL!
Miriam, your comment made me smile--thanks! Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one.
:lol2:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 03:16 Oh, dear. I would hate to read a book like this. You didn't mention, but if the descriptions of the food were good, I would just be tempted to eat through the whole thing.
I love this review, thanks!
Actually, some of the food did sound good, but after awhile my eyes started to glaze over.
I have that tendency when I'm watching cooking shows. :)
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thank you for your review! I will avoid this one. Although the plot sounds interesting, and I like having a short read now and again, poor editing just kills my reading enjoyment.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

The beginning of the review seemed interesting, but as you expose the bad sides to the book, it becomes less interesting to me. I hope the author takes into consideration your observations. Great review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 18:16 Thank you for your review! I will avoid this one. Although the plot sounds interesting, and I like having a short read now and again, poor editing just kills my reading enjoyment.
I can relate. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Willy_wanker wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 19:17 The beginning of the review seemed interesting, but as you expose the bad sides to the book, it becomes less interesting to me. I hope the author takes into consideration your observations. Great review.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”