Official Review: The Black Canary Diamond

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: The Black Canary Diamond

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Black Canary Diamond" by Barbara L Lefka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diamonds are a girl's best friend...or a terrible, evil obsession that takes over her mind until she is killed over it. At least, that's how it plays out in the spellbinding novel, The Black Canary Diamond, by Barbara L. Lefka. If this canary sings a song, it's much like the ones that Sirens sing.

In this riveting tale, Chief Detective Jacob Giuliani witnesses the murder of his lover, Fiona Tate, and comes to find out that she was heavily involved with the legendary diamond that purportedly has supernatural powers. Not surprisingly, the ring cannot be found when Fiona's body is collected, so it's up to Jake to to find both her killer and the bauble before it can wreak untold havoc. His search will cause him to meet with some very unsavory people who will do anything to keep or find the jewelry. Can Jake find the ring? Can he resist its power? Will he live long enough to find out? You'll have to read this exhilarating story to find out.

I am a HUGE fan of crime mysteries, police procedurals, and the supernatural, so this tale was the perfect recipe for me. It even has assault and peppering [of bullets] in it, all of which I relished! The mix of action and suspense was also perfectly blended without being over-the-top. I felt energized for most of the reading and was perched on the edge of my seat a lot of the time. As is commonly the case with this type of novel, I found myself suspecting practically everyone in the tome and casting skeptical eyes on even the "good guys". I was also able to predict a few things that would happen, but it did not take away from my overall enjoyment.

The characters were all a great bunch as well. Jake had enough faults to keep him from being perfect, and his friends and police officers were all sufficiently drawn. In my opinion, everyone of importance had enough of a backstory for me to be able to follow their motives, yet there was also enough mystery to keep me interested. Jake's friend, Stan, the co-owner of the PM Downtown restaurant, especially kept me on my toes, making me laugh and cry, sometimes at the same time. I also really liked Stan's employee, Treasure, who fully lived up to her name. In addition, even though I didn't "like" them, I found the antagonists to be written well, going beyond the scope of vague stereotypes. But by far, the most hypnotizing character had to be the ring itself. It supposedly housed the devil's heart in its center and promised untold riches, wealth, and power...at a cost, of course. Every time Ms. Lefka described the ring and its effects on the characters, I both shuddered and salivated. At other times, when entranced characters would giggle while under the ring's spell, I'd think of Gollum from The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. In fact, I was so interested in the ring that I even did a Google search to see if such a ring exists, though minus the supernatural aspects. I was able to find canary rings and black diamond rings but no black canary diamond rings, so I believe the author created the ring using the two known types of gems.

The tale was told in a straightforward manner befitting such a story, and I had no trouble following along with all of Jake's thoughts and travels. I will admit that there's one question I had that ultimately wasn't answered, but the answer wasn't really needed to end the tale well. Additionally, even though the descriptions weren't elaborate, I was able to feel as though I was in Philadelphia, where most of the action takes place. I could mostly picture specific locations, like the restaurant, Fiona's apartment, and Jake's abode too.

Even though I did spot a few grammatical errors, they were few and far between and didn't take away from the reading. I am therefore thrilled to give The Black Canary Diamond 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this great novel to fans of police procedurals, crime mysteries, and tales with supernatural angles. Those who like reading about interesting jewelry also may find something to enjoy in this tome. I too fall in the latter category, and I will definitely be reading the sequels, The Scarlet Macaw Ruby, which is already available, and The Pearly White Owl, which is soon to be published.

"Evil incarnate, the devil's own heart rests inside the cursed stone, waiting to be called forth to bring fortune to whomever, at the price of a soul."
- Jeremy Tate, The Black Canary Diamond

The Black Canary Diamond
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

I love your reviews, I can feel your passion for a good book! Another wonderful read!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Thank you so much, @Ice dragon! I work really hard to make them interesting
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Zhariah »

What a wonderful review, thank you :) I am also a huge fan of crime mysteries and the supernatural, especially when written well. After reading this review, The Black Canary Diamond is going up to the top of my 'to read' shelf. I'm looking forward to meeting Stan, he sounds like an amazing character.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is yet another wonderful review from you. This book seems very engaging and interesting. I like when novels paint a picture of a particular place making readers feel as though they are present there. Nice review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Zhariah wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 06:21 What a wonderful review, thank you :) I am also a huge fan of crime mysteries and the supernatural, especially when written well. After reading this review, The Black Canary Diamond is going up to the top of my 'to read' shelf. I'm looking forward to meeting Stan, he sounds like an amazing character.
Thanks so much. I hope you do get a chance to read it and enjoy it as much as I did!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

T_stone wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 08:24 This is yet another wonderful review from you. This book seems very engaging and interesting. I like when novels paint a picture of a particular place making readers feel as though they are present there. Nice review.
Thank you so so much! I work really heard to make sure my reviews are entertaining.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite suspenseful! Diamonds with supernatural power? Wow! I'm glad this one was well-written with few errors. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

You did such a wonderful job on this review! You eloquently detailed the description and made me want to pick the book up immediately! The combination of the supernatural, crime, and police procedural elements sounds like it was written just for me. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review for us!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like such an amazing read! I love a good crime mystery, and love it even more when characters are well developed. Thanks for the review!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

You know what, this book will be perfect for me as well! The fact that the characters were given so much attention is amazing, considering crime mysteries are majorly plot-driven. It is good that the antagonists also surpassed the stereotype. Thanks for the very enjoyable review, you convinced me to read this book!
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

As always, you have delivered a compelling review and found a way to include a shameless pun. How creative!
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Another fantastic review! I love that you said this book made you both laugh and cry. I enjoy being able to get into books so deeply!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

When supernatural and crime/ mystery are brought together, I am immediately drawn in. Its so interesting and enthralling for these genres to meet so beautifully. Can't wait to read this and see the mystery unfold.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I love mysteries that have a supernatural twist. From your review, I'll love this one. Great Review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”