Official Review: A Prescription for Madness by Linda Fawke

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: A Prescription for Madness by Linda Fawke

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Prescription for Madness" by Linda Fawke.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Prescription for Madness by Linda Fawke takes a look at a childless pharmacist who becomes pregnant at fifty-one years old. Although Kate is married, the pregnancy occurs after a fling with her old boyfriend Jonathan at a college reunion. In addition to the obvious “who’s the father” question, there is the risk of genetic abnormalities due to her age. As secrets are kept and she grapples with what to do about the pregnancy, Kate’s well-ordered life goes off track.

It took me a while to get into this contemporary novel. The beginning chapters are slow paced, as the main character visits different people to seek advice about her pregnancy. However, some of these attempts seem contrived. For example, her friend Becky informs her she is pregnant from an encounter with an old lover at the same college reunion. What are the chances two fiftyish women become pregnant after sex with old boyfriends at the same reunion? Adding to the weird coincidence is Kate’s growing suspicion that her husband Neil may be more than friends with Becky. Unsurprisingly, Kate decides to withhold the news about her own pregnancy.

After the first few chapters, I became quite engrossed in the plot. The story often feels more like a myriad of romantic entanglements rather than the ramifications of pregnancy at an advanced age. Still, there is an interesting subplot about Neil’s research for a photography exhibition about families who have a Down’s Syndrome child. These passages add depth to the story and are treated with sensitivity.

Kate is not easy to like, but she is a well-developed character. Her conversations with others are sometimes rude. While pregnant, Kate drinks wine, refers to the fetus as a parasite, and initiates sex with a stranger in an Italian alley. She is very self-centered; this might explain why she doesn’t wonder whether her husband might be the father of Becky’s unborn child. I found this odd since Kate already suspected he and her friend Becky might be more than friends.

The author has a nice writing style that feels effortless. It is clear the story has been edited well as I spotted only one grammatical error (a missing comma). One minor gripe is that the formatting in the PDF file is not consistent. This creates a zig-zag feel as each page is a bit to the left or right of the previous page.

This book has earned a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The latter sections of the story are a bit busy, although the loose ends are tied up. Still, I generally enjoyed the story after the slow start. I would recommend the book to readers who like romance novels with a sprinkling of thought-provoking themes.

A Prescription for Madness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Interesting drama. I would be interested in seeing how it turns out. Thank you!
:tiphat:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds seriously fascinating, and Kate is such an intriguing character. I love that she has so many flaws, and I would definitely like to see how she deals with the pregnancy by the end of the book. Thanks for the review!
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

This isn't the type of genre that I like but your pitch of the characters makes the book sound entertaining. Glad you enjoyed it.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Another great review. I don't think it's one I'd enjoy as it seems more focused on the romantic life of the protagonist than her decision about her pregnancy. Still, for those that enjoy that sort of story, it seems nice as the author has a great style. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. :) Gen_g and Ice Dragon - All of the characters were well developed, even the ones I didn't like so much. Kandscreeley - I was a little disappointed in the direction the story took. It became a little soap opera-ish after a while.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book revolving around a childless pharmacist who became pregnant at fifty-one years old sounds intriguing. Too bad for the slow start, the busy sections, and the inconsistent formatting. At least it was well edited. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Great review as always!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

gali wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 09:19 A book revolving around a childless pharmacist who became pregnant at fifty-one years old sounds intriguing. Too bad for the slow start, the busy sections, and the inconsistent formatting. At least it was well edited. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Great review as always!
Thanks Gali! I still enjoyed the book despite the slow start and busy ending.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Although the book has a slow start it gets more interesting with the development of Kate's character. I'm going to enjoy reading this. Thanks for yet another review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The story sounds interesting, and though I know it happens, I can't imagine being pregnant at 51. I would tend to agree with Kandscreeley's thoughts on this one, but I appreciate your candid review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Too much romantic drama for me. Great review though.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I wish the author would have focused more on the pregnant at 51 theme. All of the romantic entanglements gave too much of a soap opera feel to the story.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

This sounds like an interesting family/triangle drama with some pregnancy thrown in. I did get curious as to what happens, but I'm not sure I'd be very invested in the story as it's not of my main genre. Another great review, btw.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I appreciate the author's ability to make the writing style of this story sound effortless, especially considering the fact that the story was written about such heavy subject matter. I normally would not read this story, simply because I agree that the plot sounds a little too coincidental in terms of two fifty something year old women getting pregnant from a reunion. Yet I can appreciate your willingness to review this book. I was intrigued by the title, and your review has helped me decide to pick a different book to read next. Thanks!
:character-ariel:
Gloria 1Boateng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gloria 1Boateng »

:D Nice review and the book sounds pretty interesting. I like the way the author developed the characters especially Kate,to possess such strong and exciting youthful traits despite her old age. Thanks.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”