Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Re: Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by EvaDar »

abbiejoice wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 07:51 What this book needs is evidence that the source document from which it is based has greater authenticity the Gospels and the other books in the Bible that it may contradict. Without it, it is a dangerous read.
I'm not sure it is dangerous, but definitely controversial. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
marinoibekwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by marinoibekwe »

Misreading Judas By Robert Wahler

The insights of modern gospel canonical oversights the true gospel of Judas and does ampute harm to the authenticized identity of this loyal servant and obedient Judas who has simply fuffiled the charge of obedience against sacrifice.

The masterpiece from Robert's shelve isnt unconnected with the reality of whom is the succeeded master and savior after Jesus as mordern scriptures had earlier debased, The sign was evident in Judas, The son of Man as Jesus was anticipating mystical representation of the Father (MASTER), who had in turn revealed in Judas but misinterpreted till date. Misreading Judas has it ironed out clearly by Robert Wahler
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Brianna Bailey wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 08:27 This is an exciting sample and I look forward to reading the entire book. I recently learned of Gnosticism from a spiritual mentor and have been attempting to find more of the literature. I am not a religious person but do consider myself a spiritual person and feel as though this may be a right fit for myself.
Thanks for your comments. For enthusiasts of Gnosticism, this would definitely be interesting.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

"The author’s thesis offers a new interpretation of the relationship between Jesus and Judas... If you are open-minded and are interested in biblical history or Eastern mysticism, I think you will be fast captivated by this book."
I do not think this book is for me. Normally, I do not read religious books so I will pass. However, fans of the genre will enjoy it! Thank you for the detailed review! :techie-studyingbrown:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 08:49 Interesting premise but not for me. I don't believe there was a hidden relationship between Judas and Jesus. I believe the Bible states it exactly as it was. Call me closed-minded. Call me what you want, but this book isn't going to change my mind. I'll pass. Thanks.
Respect to your strongly-held beliefs. I don't think that translates to closed-mindedness. Matters of faith are very personal. I enjoyed considering other possibilities, but it is definitely not for everyone. Thanks kandscreeley.
-Nayyirah Waheed
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I'm a Christian and my belief in Jesus is unshakeable, whatever some people or scholars might say. However, I am very open to such books or discussions. To exchange ideas or to learn a few things does not make one abandon the faith he or she has been enlightened to. This review help me see what I should be expecting. I am deeply curious about the Masters after Jesus. Also, thank you for this unbiased review. It must have been hard, especially when dealing with religion.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Mycin
Currently Reading: The Everything Guide to Writing Your First Novel
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mycin.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mycin »

I personally am a big fan of new and exciting ways of perspectives on the bible, so it's interesting to see how Judas was finding himself to be a savior.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Miriam Molina wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 09:07 I don't think we should condemn Judas, for he was instrumental in God's saving work. That is where I can agree with the author. The rest of the book - Jesus as just another in a line of Masters, basically - is quite shocking for me. I choose to keep my belief in Jesus as the Savior who died for my sins and for everyone else's.
I have read other Gnostic accounts with similar claims, and I am always jarred by the demotion of Jesus. Matters of faith are so personal, but I do enjoy considering other views. I admire your deeply-held beliefs. Thank you for reading my long-winded review!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

ZoraCpenter wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 09:13 I have always had my own questions about the biblical relationship between Judas and Jesus...particularly whether Judas truly had free will. If he did, does that make him less a betrayer and more a sacrifice?

While nonfiction is not usually my go to, I find your description of the book. I am happy to hear that, though the author is offering a new interpretation, he has ample evidence for why he makes such conclusions.
You might enjoy this book. It's a short but intense read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

lesler wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 09:40 I've always been fascinated with the times of Jesus and his people. I love learning about how certain books got "picked" to be in the bible, and this untold story of Judas has me enthralled. I can't wait to read it.
With your perspective, you might really enjoy this book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Strangerthanfiction wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 09:55 Great review. I am always interested in hearing and at times debating new theories on what originally was taught as facts set in stone. I like it when science takes a previous “fact” and reveals a truth never seen before but it needs to be sound science that makes sense. Not sure if that’s what I’ll find in this book but it’ll be interesting to find out. Thanks so much for sharing.
It sounds like you would enjoy this book. It is well researched, albeit controversial. Thanks for your comments.
-Nayyirah Waheed
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I'm sorry, but there's less than a zero percent chance that I'll read this sacrilegious book; in fact, I don't even think I'll be reading the sample. If I don't know anything else in this world, I DO know that my relationship with the Holy Trinity is real, and that includes having faith that their Word holds true, including that Jesus is our Savior. Anything purporting otherwise goes in the "Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are real" pile.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This sounds like a fascinating read. I am always interested in peoples interpretation of religion. I think this is a unique analyzation of Judas and Jesus. Congrats on the book of the day! Great review.
chironwolf52
Favorite Book: Ask and It Is Given
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chironwolf52.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B002FQJT3Q

Post by chironwolf52 »

:techie-studyingbrown: Thank you for your thorough reading and review of this book. I was never convinced that Judas was the betrayer as identified in religious history. Distilled and water-downed versions of history are just easier for people to digest even though everyday life proves this is not so. I am fascinated by Gnostic tradition and think I would like reading this book.
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I did find it interesting that the ones chosen to interpret the Gospel of Judas were Christian scholars. That would tell you that the information and conclusions would be biased. Scholars from different backgrounds would have made for a more diverse discussion.

You did a great job of covering this book, especially when the topic is so controversial. Your analysis of the narrative was focused on the author's ability to convey his message and not merely your opinion of the contents. This is a talent that makes for a great reviewer. Thank you for your informative synopsis. 💕

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”