Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brianna Bailey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianna-bailey.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Re: Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by Brianna Bailey »

This is an exciting sample and I look forward to reading the entire book. I recently learned of Gnosticism from a spiritual mentor and have been attempting to find more of the literature. I am not a religious person but do consider myself a spiritual person and feel as though this may be a right fit for myself.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

For religious historians, those interested in traditional religious tales, and those that are into Eastern mysticism, this book sounds like a captivating read about comparative analyses.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting premise but not for me. I don't believe there was a hidden relationship between Judas and Jesus. I believe the Bible states it exactly as it was. Call me closed-minded. Call me what you want, but this book isn't going to change my mind. I'll pass. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I don't think we should condemn Judas, for he was instrumental in God's saving work. That is where I can agree with the author. The rest of the book - Jesus as just another in a line of Masters, basically - is quite shocking for me. I choose to keep my belief in Jesus as the Savior who died for my sins and for everyone else's.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I have always had my own questions about the biblical relationship between Judas and Jesus...particularly whether Judas truly had free will. If he did, does that make him less a betrayer and more a sacrifice?

While nonfiction is not usually my go to, I find your description of the book. I am happy to hear that, though the author is offering a new interpretation, he has ample evidence for why he makes such conclusions.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Great review! Congrats! This is not up to my alley but I'm happy to hear of different angles to a story. It seems well thought out and well written.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Well I'm open minded and interested. I remember a long time ago I saw a documentary with the same premise and it would be nice to read this time. Thanks for your review!
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

I've always been fascinated with the times of Jesus and his people. I love learning about how certain books got "picked" to be in the bible, and this untold story of Judas has me enthralled. I can't wait to read it.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Sounds like an interesting and very different perspective of Judas' story, but I have no interest in the subject.
Ehartl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ehartl.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Ehartl »

I love books on religious controversy. This one sounds interesting as its a topic I have heard of but never really delved into. It sounds like this author has done major work to support his controversial claims, which is why I will be picking this book up. Thanks for the excellent review!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

gali wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 06:33 A book showing Judas as a savior sounds very refreshing and original. The author offers a new interpretation of the relationship between Jesus and Judas, and based his claims on the Gnostic tradition. It is nice that the writing is clear, well written, and organized. Thank you for the review!
Thanks gali. I really enjoyed this book - as you can tell from this long-winded review! :tiphat:
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. I am always interested in hearing and at times debating new theories on what originally was taught as facts set in stone. I like it when science takes a previous “fact” and reveals a truth never seen before but it needs to be sound science that makes sense. Not sure if that’s what I’ll find in this book but it’ll be interesting to find out. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I've always wondered why Judas was considered a traitor when Jesus ordered him to do what he did. He even begged for it not to be him that had to.
The author’s belief in the succession of Masters is, however, another story.
Yes, I bet that's a hard one for people to even entertain as a thought. Not sure what I think about any of that but it certainly sounds worth investigating.

And did I read that sample right? It includes derogatory comments about the work; one complains that the author presents himself as a heroic sage...the typical "I'm the one who knows the truth and nothing can be properly understood until you accept that." Now, I don't know if the author actually presents things with that mindset but I was surprised to see that in the prologue.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Wow! What a great review to come read after the sample pages which only offered reviews of the book and not much content. I don’t mind learning new things such as this because I have always felt that if what I believe is true, then another person’s opinion, philosophy or push for me to change my beliefs won’t sway me. This certainly takes on a big subject, and I dare say that many hardcore believers in traditional Christianity are going to find this difficult to swallow.
Everything happens for a reason...
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

bb587 wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 07:19 Faith is very important to me. While I don't believe the whole bible should be taken literally, I do believe Jesus was the son of God. God has sent others to help and guide us, but Jesus was a league of his own. This book seems researched and convincing, but it's not something I'm interested in reading.
I share your belief that Jesus was in "a league of his own." This book's challenge of that is definitely ruffling feathers of faith. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”