Official Review: Silent Spring - Deadly Autumn of the Vie...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Silent Spring - Deadly Autumn of the Vie...

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Silent Spring - Deadly Autumn of the Vietnam War" by Patrick Hogan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do you know about the Vietnam War? I am sure that Agent Orange might come to mind, but have you ever heard of Agent White? In his book Silent Spring-Deadly Autumn, Patrick Hogan brings into the spotlight the atrocities of his time spent in the military serving our country and the aftermath of being betrayed by government agencies who fail to take responsibility for the harm inflicted. He mainly focuses on the herbicides and pesticides that were purposely sprayed in areas he and others were stationed. It will make readers question the honesty of the leaders of our nation, its laws and what is deemed as a safe substance.

While listening to a speech given by President Obama in 2012 where he was giving honor to those who had served in this war, the author had memories burst forth that he had pushed down for years in an attempt to leave this event in the past. But, how do you do so when what has been done can still impact not only you but your children and future generations to come? This was the beginning of his awakening to facts that had been cloaked for years in secrecy and corruption.

His writing not only gives full details of his physical ailments, but it is a compilation of the massive amounts of chemicals that he and his fellow 'boots on the ground' servicemen were subjected to at the hands of those who they thought they could trust. He reveals that our military and government were aware, and still are to this day, of the health ramifications that these plant and bug killers could have on the population that was living and operating in the areas that were being doused.

Using declassified information, published studies, as well as his own experiences, he comes forth as a powerful advocate for the men and women who have been told that there is insufficient evidence to prove that their illnesses or disabilities are a result of toxic substances. He has used his diligent research to pull together facts that would otherwise remain obscure or not conclusive. This is much like a defense lawyer who has prepared a case that would be difficult to debate against. However, stonewalling tactics remain, lame excuses are still given, and the needs of those who are suffering still go unattended.

I liked the way this author used metaphors to get his point across. The information is highly technical with a lot of science jargon and abbreviations. Even with the glossary at the beginning to help readers decipher, it got a bit tedious at times reading words such as hexachlorobenzene (HCB) and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB). He does apologize to his listening audience for having to include this, but it does prove necessary to know what each of the chemicals is, how they interact with one another and how they can cause horrible, irreversible injury.

Just when I would think I wasn't fully understanding a point, he would use an illustration in everyday terms to bring clarity. For example, when explaining the effects that can happen from toxic exposure, he likens it to holding up an empty glass in the air. At first, this task can seem easy, but as the hours tick by or if someone adds liquid to the cup, it becomes more difficult as fatigue takes over.

When a person inhales, digests or absorbs through the skin a noxious material, it can remain in the system for quite a while before an illness manifests. This revelation dismantles the false claims made by the Department of Veterans Affairs when they blatantly dismiss the requests of former military personnel to consider health problems being related to these chemicals from years prior. The burden of proof, however, continues to fall at the feet of the victims who have no one to come to their aid and assist in standing up for their rights.

This is written in a highly organized manner with a table of contents and some personal photos interspersed. It would most likely appeal to those who are veterans as well as those who like information about our government and its cover-ups. For those who don't enjoy a lot of scientific terms, then you will either need to skim those sections, which are quite a large portion of the book or skip this one entirely.

While this gets high marks for accurate and valuable reporting, I did find at least ten errors in punctuation and grammar. So, I have to award it a 3 out of 4 stars. However, I know that this author is a high-quality writer who has taken on a complex subject, and he will have no problem fixing the mistakes that I found.

I generally read non-fiction books to learn and to become better acquainted with pieces of history that happened either before my time or before I understood what was happening in our country. This book is an important reminder that we should never take for granted the sacrifices our veterans have made for us and continue to do so today.

Silent Spring - Deadly Autumn of the Vietnam War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

In his book Silent Spring-Deadly Autumn, Patrick Hogan brings into the spotlight the atrocities of his time spent in the military serving our country and the aftermath of being betrayed by government agencies who fail to take responsibility for the harm inflicted. He mainly focuses on the herbicides and pesticides that were purposely sprayed in areas he and others were stationed. It will make readers question the honesty of the leaders of our nation, its laws and what is deemed as a safe substance.
It seems there is always more to learn about this war and its aftermath which can be disheartening. I appreciate your sensitive review on a challenging topic.
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

I briefly studied the Vietnam War at school, knowledge such as this atrocity has now sparked an interest. I will certainly be buying this book to further my knowledge.
Thanks for the review1
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Ice dragon wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 18:05 I briefly studied the Vietnam War at school, knowledge such as this atrocity has now sparked an interest. I will certainly be buying this book to further my knowledge.
Thanks for the review1
This is a good one written right from the hand of an author who was there. I am having a hard time not thinking about it now that I have closed the book. Thanks for reading my review! I appreciate it!
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 16:03
In his book Silent Spring-Deadly Autumn, Patrick Hogan brings into the spotlight the atrocities of his time spent in the military serving our country and the aftermath of being betrayed by government agencies who fail to take responsibility for the harm inflicted. He mainly focuses on the herbicides and pesticides that were purposely sprayed in areas he and others were stationed. It will make readers question the honesty of the leaders of our nation, its laws and what is deemed as a safe substance.
It seems there is always more to learn about this war and its aftermath which can be disheartening. I appreciate your sensitive review on a challenging topic.
Thank you for reading it. There are certainly book such as this that seem to weigh more heavily on me than others. This one took some time for me to read because it was so very sad. Thanks again for taking a peek at my review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I have read different reviews on books about the Vietnam war and this one seems very engaging. You've done a good job talking about the sensitive issues present in this book. Good review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry for all those that are having to deal with these after effects now. I can't imagine what they are going through, and even worse that it's not even acknowledged. Sounds like an enlightening read. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Interesting! I like that there is probably a history lesson to learn in there too. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

We rely on accounts like this to learn the whole truth, all too often. I can understand why the science is necessary to convey the message. I enjoyed reading your review of this important book. Thank you.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

T_stone wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 04:41 I have read different reviews on books about the Vietnam war and this one seems very engaging. You've done a good job talking about the sensitive issues present in this book. Good review.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read it. It’s not an easy subject to read about due to so many lives affected by this war. I appreciate your comments so much. :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Eva Darrington wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 13:27 We rely on accounts like this to learn the whole truth, all too often. I can understand why the science is necessary to convey the message. I enjoyed reading your review of this important book. Thank you.
Thank you so much for reading my review. It wasn’t an easy one to get through due to the pain that has been inflicted, but the message is important.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 00:42 Interesting! I like that there is probably a history lesson to learn in there too. Thank you for the review!
Thank you for reading my review. I appreciate it so much. 😊
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 19:09 I'm sorry for all those that are having to deal with these after effects now. I can't imagine what they are going through, and even worse that it's not even acknowledged. Sounds like an enlightening read. Thanks.
Thanks so much for dropping in to read my review. This was certainly a tough subject matter but so important for us to know.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”