Official Review: In Search of Love’s Treasure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: In Search of Love’s Treasure

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In Search of Love’s Treasure" by Rachel C. Brady.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21 The Bible, New King James Version

Have you ever struggled to forgive someone or thought that you had only to have resentment resurface unexpectedly? In Search of Love's Treasure follows Rachel C. Brady's journey as she learned to pursue love through forgiveness. From an idyllic childhood residing in a lakeside county park that was shattered by her parents' divorce to her adventures ministering with her husband in the Philippines, Brady shares the challenges she faced including her struggle to forgive her abusive mother. Through the personal testimony of her relationship with Christ, heartfelt prayers, and relevant scriptures; Brady encourages readers to choose love's treasure, the act of forgiveness through His grace.

Brady's writing style is conversational and relaxed as if she might be sharing her story over a cup of coffee with a friend. Her transparency regarding her struggle to forgive her mother as well as her sincere prayers lend authenticity to the book and invite a safe place for contemplation, making it an ideal Bible study book for a small group.

What I liked most about this book was that most of the chapters ended with a quote or scripture, prayer, and related questions for personal reflection. For example, after discussing how she attempted to run from the pain of her childhood, the second chapter closes with one of my favorite scriptures. "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalms 32:18, NIV and is followed by a heartfelt prayer plus these questions: Do you need to forgive a parent, grandparent, caregiver, or sibling? What steps can you begin to take? What does Jesus want you to know about the situations that come to mind?

The only thing I disliked was that the author didn't follow the same format in the book's first chapter. She closed with a quote, but without the prayer and questions that were included in the book's other twelve chapters. Since the book included a preface and introduction, the first chapter wasn't merely introductory, and the difference seemed inconsistent.

Even so, this didn't detract from my overall reading enjoyment. Additionally, it was exceptionally well edited, as I didn't note any errors, and I am pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to those who enjoy memoirs and Christian testimonies. It will also appeal to readers who journal and like Bible study books. Readers who don't appreciate books based on scriptures may prefer to pass on this one.

In Search of Love’s Treasure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The author seems to have gone through a lot! I like that the author wasn't afraid to discuss her past, and this definitely seems like an inspiring read. Thank you for the review!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I like that the author kept the book conversational and included scriptures throughout. I am not the biggest fan of memoirs, but I'll keep my eye out for this one. Thanks for the amazing review. :D
Shollybrawn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shollybrawn »

I love the book, the author took his time to include Bible reference, the book is inspiring.
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

This sounds a bit too soppy for me. Great review though.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

The book has an interesting premise, but the religious edge is not my cup of tea so I have to pass this. Still, thanks for this detailed review.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Forgiveness is so important in the Christian walk, so this sounds like a book we could all use. I love that the time is conversational. I'll have to pick this up. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

gen_g wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 01:28 The author seems to have gone through a lot! I like that the author wasn't afraid to discuss her past, and this definitely seems like an inspiring read. Thank you for the review!
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ever_Reading wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 01:44 I like that the author kept the book conversational and included scriptures throughout. I am not the biggest fan of memoirs, but I'll keep my eye out for this one. Thanks for the amazing review. :D
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Shollybrawn wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 03:15 I love the book, the author took his time to include Bible reference, the book is inspiring.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ice dragon wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 04:18 This sounds a bit too soppy for me. Great review though.
Thank you.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

SpencerVo wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 07:58 The book has an interesting premise, but the religious edge is not my cup of tea so I have to pass this. Still, thanks for this detailed review.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 08:08 Forgiveness is so important in the Christian walk, so this sounds like a book we could all use. I love that the time is conversational. I'll have to pick this up. Thanks.
I agree. Thanks for your comment and enjoy the book!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I think I will find this book very useful. I could use the information there for myself. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

T_stone wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 11:19 I think I will find this book very useful. I could use the information there for myself. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”