Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Post by topdan30 »

Vscholz wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 22:24
imjaneturner wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 15:38
Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 06:07 I liked the well-built characters in this book. On the downside, I was a bit put off by the grammatical errors. A round of judicious editing is needed. Additionally, at certain points, there were extensive details that I felt were not of major importance to the storyline.
Would I recommend it to others? I would, if you can overlook the editorial issues, and resist the urge to skim through the pages because of the too many details.
I completely agree with regard to the grammatical errors. I am three pages in and have recorded 7 instances of grammatical errors. Not only are there many basic grammar errors (like missing commas), but there are also weird sentence structures. I want to include an example that really threw me off:

"Debbie drove to Z Pita with her Dad following. Because she was taking her car onto the ferry, he needed to take his own vehicle which was diamond white Corvette, he called it his favorite toy. They walked into Z Pita and sat for lunch at table four. It was ironic because the two men sitting at table three, Detectives Powers and Johnson, were going to be a part of her for the remainder of her life. No matter how long or short it would be, it was these two that would have an important role in her destiny and yet now, this second, they were just two men sitting close to her space while not even giving them a moment's thought."

Torbert, R.J.. The Face of Fear: A Powers and Johnson Novel (p. 3). Two Harbors Press. Kindle Edition.

Everything about this paragraph needs to be redone. This book is in desperate need of editing.
It really is a shame that there are so many errors, and in the beginning, too. I have been excited about this book since I saw it was named December BotM, but I am a stickler for decent grammar.

Thank you for this example (and the citation!!!). I'll have to consider more before I decide whether or not to take the plunge.
gush!! i read this nd i was totally put off. This book needs more work if people will get to enjoy it. A good book is more than just the storyline, it also includes how the story is presented.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I have only read the sample, but the author's writing style was not appealing to me. He put in too many needless details, and on top of that, there were several errors.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

My overall rating of The Face of Fear is 4 out of 4-stars. The book had a good flow to it and held my interest. It stayed in track with the story.
Chelsea N. Hackett
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I haven't gotten to reading this book yet, but I will soon. The cover and title of the book sound catchy.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I read the blurb for this book and I don't think I have the stomach for it. I love thrillers to a point but I scare easily.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

topdan30 wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 06:08
imjaneturner wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 15:38

I completely agree with regard to the grammatical errors. I am three pages in and have recorded 7 instances of grammatical errors. Not only are there many basic grammar errors (like missing commas), but there are also weird sentence structures. I want to include an example that really threw me off:

"Debbie drove to Z Pita with her Dad following. Because she was taking her car onto the ferry, he needed to take his own vehicle which was diamond white Corvette, he called it his favorite toy. They walked into Z Pita and sat for lunch at table four. It was ironic because the two men sitting at table three, Detectives Powers and Johnson, were going to be a part of her for the remainder of her life. No matter how long or short it would be, it was these two that would have an important role in her destiny and yet now, this second, they were just two men sitting close to her space while not even giving them a moment's thought."

Torbert, R.J.. The Face of Fear: A Powers and Johnson Novel (p. 3). Two Harbors Press. Kindle Edition.

Everything about this paragraph needs to be redone. This book is in desperate need of editing.
It really is a shame that there are so many errors, and in the beginning, too. I have been excited about this book since I saw it was named December BotM, but I am a stickler for decent grammar.

Thank you for this example (and the citation!!!). I'll have to consider more before I decide whether or not to take the plunge.
gush!! i read this nd i was totally put off. This book needs more work if people will get to enjoy it. A good book is more than just the storyline, it also includes how the story is presented.
I just read this conversation. Even if someone was to convince me that the story isn't as scary as I think, I would need the book to be re-edited before I could dedicate time to it.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

I liked this book, but thought it was too long and had too many conflicts. Resolving Debbie's kidnapping right away made it hard to keep reading.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 20:07
topdan30 wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 06:08

I just read this conversation. Even if someone was to convince me that the story isn't as scary as I think, I would need the book to be re-edited before I could dedicate time to it.
I'm looking at this and thinking too many irrelevant details. Even if I cared what table numbers they sat at, there is no concept of where in the place those tables are to give the detail any meaning.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

.I liked the well-built characters in this book. On the downside, I was a bit put off by the grammatical errors. A round of judicious editing is needed. Additionally, at certain points, there were extensive details that I felt were not of major importance to the storyline.
Would I recommend it to others? I would if you can overlook the editorial issues, and resist the urge to skim through the pages because of the too many details.
This is putting me off this book. I read the sample in total and thought it had a great plot and will make one fascinating crime thriller. However, I'm disappointed at the multiple errors noted in the book.
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. The characters were well rounded and well thought out. I give major kudos to Torbert on that front, because that can be difficult to do. I did not like the obvious lack of editing in this book, as well as the slow pace. Torbert moved through some details too slowly for sure. I would recommend this book to others, though, unless they can't look past editorial issues. I like murder, mystery, and crime novels though. If a person does not like those things, then I would not suggest they read this book.
Nicholet Haumann
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 420
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholet-haumann.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nicholet Haumann »

This book cover looks really interesting. I am a big fan of crime novels and a big reader of serial killers. Would you recommend this book to someone who loves books about crime?
Princess Clara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princess-clara.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Princess Clara »

I liked the manner in which the book is shillfully written and arranged. I would rate it at 3 out of 4 stars. I would surely recommend it to other persons.
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 06:07 I liked the well-built characters in this book. On the downside, I was a bit put off by the grammatical errors. A round of judicious editing is needed. Additionally, at certain points, there were extensive details that I felt were not of major importance to the storyline.
Would I recommend it to others? I would, if you can overlook the editorial issues, and resist the urge to skim through the pages because of the too many details.
I noticed the errors as well and they were off-putting for me and its really sad because the story is really entertaining.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I would give this book a 3 out of 4 since I enjoyed the characters and plot. However, I'm taking a star off because it needs some more editing. The scene transitions also felt awkward to me.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
BillRY
Favorite Book: Einstein
Currently Reading: Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-billry.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by BillRY »

From what I've seen on the discussion page so far, this book has some serious grammatical issues. Therefore it gives me one more reason not to get into this book, on top of being in a genre that I've never been interested in. Judging from all the comments, and after sampling a few pages of the book, I have to admit that I am not a fan of the writing style used to set up the characters. There are a few awkward places disrupting the flow and the descriptions are bland. I guess if you are really a fan of this genre, you could give it a try, but if you're ambivalent and big on beautiful fluid writings, this book's style might be offsetting.

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”