Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Post by Mouricia Allen »

The book cover alone would have caused me to not want to read this book. But it seems to be an okay book so far.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

imjaneturner wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 15:38
Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 06:07 I liked the well-built characters in this book. On the downside, I was a bit put off by the grammatical errors. A round of judicious editing is needed. Additionally, at certain points, there were extensive details that I felt were not of major importance to the storyline.
Would I recommend it to others? I would, if you can overlook the editorial issues, and resist the urge to skim through the pages because of the too many details.
I completely agree with regard to the grammatical errors. I am three pages in and have recorded 7 instances of grammatical errors. Not only are there many basic grammar errors (like missing commas), but there are also weird sentence structures. I want to include an example that really threw me off:

"Debbie drove to Z Pita with her Dad following. Because she was taking her car onto the ferry, he needed to take his own vehicle which was diamond white Corvette, he called it his favorite toy. They walked into Z Pita and sat for lunch at table four. It was ironic because the two men sitting at table three, Detectives Powers and Johnson, were going to be a part of her for the remainder of her life. No matter how long or short it would be, it was these two that would have an important role in her destiny and yet now, this second, they were just two men sitting close to her space while not even giving them a moment's thought."

Torbert, R.J.. The Face of Fear: A Powers and Johnson Novel (p. 3). Two Harbors Press. Kindle Edition.

Everything about this paragraph needs to be redone. This book is in desperate need of editing.
It really is a shame that there are so many errors, and in the beginning, too. I have been excited about this book since I saw it was named December BotM, but I am a stickler for decent grammar.

Thank you for this example (and the citation!!!). I'll have to consider more before I decide whether or not to take the plunge.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I have twice put this book at the top of my “want to read” list in my bookshelves. The opening gripped me right away. Plus, I always love the BOTM on this site and really liked the sample! I’m going to get to this book SOON!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The book stared off slow, but then it picked up after the ferry incodent.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I will have to give my rating once I am done reading the book. It seems there are a lot of grammatical errors that need some round of editing.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
leanne_brown17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanne-brown17.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by leanne_brown17 »

I rated this book 2 out of 4 stars. I found the information on Port Jefferson somewhat interesting, but I only liked a few of the characters and the unnecessary attention to detail got boring. I did like the element of mystery involved in the book and despite the lack of proper editing, I continued to read it until the end. I did feel that the plot had a lot of potential so I would recommend this book to others, but only to those who can overlook the many errors within it.
"If you are not willing to be a fool, you can't become a master." - Jordan B. Peterson
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I haven't read this book yet, but after looking at some of the comments, I think I'd give it a chance. I like books with twists and turns. However, I did see there are a lot of grammatical errors in the book. That can truly make or break a book sometimes.
Mac :techie-reference:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The plot of the book is very good and well laid out. I guess this is one of the things that make a good book. The characters are also well developed. I guess if these were the only parameters to be used in rating, a perfect score could be well-deserved.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

That is really disappointing to hear that there are a lot of grammatical errors as this really does ruin a book. Strong character development is really important and it sounds like the book is not lacking in this regard.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

alihaider1336 wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 11:16 I liked the book because it tells you about how to cope with your fear. It can really be helpful about those people who fight with their fear and can't cope with it.I recommend it to those people who want to fight with their fear in life.
I’m thinking of adding this book to my reading list. Thank you for the insight. I think it may be helpful to me to take a look at it.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Overall it sounds like an interesting book. Hopefully the author will have it edited further so that it can reach its potential.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I had a hard time finishing this book. The number of grammatical errors was an issue. I thought the author spent too much time swinging back and forth from romantic interludes to mystery sections. Bud's humor was a refreshing addition to the story. The detectives' moments of "selective listening" were other examples of comic relief that were well done. Lindsey's character was charming. I would have a hard time recommending this book unless it were edited and shortened.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 11:13 I rated this book two out of four stars.
I didn't love it.
I was, unfortunately, bored through a lot of it. At least I came away from it knowing EXTENSIVE information about Port Jefferson, which I doubt I will ever use in my life.
I found it hilarious at the beginning of the book when two characters (with busy schedules) were trying to make time to go on a date. In order to do so, they met for coffee to see when they were available and to sort out their schedules.
I found the beginning too bored to continue because of the focus on unimportant details. It good to know that it is that way throughout.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

I am attracted by the book cover i saw. which really speaks to me. will sure give this book a read.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

kdstrack wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 22:35 I had a hard time finishing this book. The number of grammatical errors was an issue. I thought the author spent too much time swinging back and forth from romantic interludes to mystery sections. Bud's humor was a refreshing addition to the story. The detectives' moments of "selective listening" were other examples of comic relief that were well done. Lindsey's character was charming. I would have a hard time recommending this book unless it were edited and shortened.
Oh guess this book still need alot of editing and proofreading. Thanks for pointing out this, errors put me off books.

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”