Official Review: Ladies, Read This First by Guy Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Ladies, Read This First by Guy Johnson

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ladies, Read This First" by Guy Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you've tried online dating, have you ever wondered what men were actually thinking? In his second book, Ladies, Read This First!: How Men Really Approach Online Dating, author Guy Johnson gives readers a glimpse into the male mind while offering guidelines for navigating dating websites.

In his previous book, Confessions of an Online Dater, the author directed his advice to men; this time, he addresses women. His sense of humor was apparent as he wrote this guide with the purpose of assisting women who are seeking happy long-term relationships. Though writing a book for women was out of his comfort zone, as an author who also dates online, he obviously has the male perspective. When he noticed that there were books in this niche written for women by women but none authored by a man, he rose to the challenge. He selected his focus group of 100 men he met outside a movie theater. After surveying 75, the author shared his initial impression, "I was getting depressed in realizing that my fellow man was rather shallow and caddish." However, he pressed forward, also surveying 20 women. He asked 28 questions related to their online dating approaches and created demographics according to their age, ranging from 25-45+ and status--divorced, separated, widowed, and never married. The book includes 10 chapters which cover a wide range of topics related to online dating such as how to get started, choosing a website, tips for posting profiles and photographs, and defining what you are looking for in a relationship. The author also addresses the importance of honesty, accurately describing yourself, and how to read between the lines for red flags when navigating websites. Chapters feature humorous anecdotes, dating dos and don'ts, informative learning curve highlight sections, and how to avoid mistakes that may turn away potential matches. The final chapter discusses exclusivity and cautions against the trade-up syndrome by always looking for someone better. The book concludes with two insightful appendixes. On a final note, the author encourages women to "put men on notice," by subtly mentioning having read the book.

With 94 pages, the book is a quick read that's well-written, informative, and downright funny. Though I haven't read the author's previous book, he mentions intentionally keeping the style and formatting similar in this one. Based on the clean visual design and organized formatting, I'd say that he made the right call. Each chapter features the key point subtitles in bold type and numbered highlight sections the author refers to as "Quick Learning Curves," which not only enhance the book but simplify referring to the content covered.

What I liked most about this book was the author's humorous writing style. Whether he was sharing online dating profile dos and don'ts or relating a funny experience from one of his dates, the tone was conversational and relatable. I found the two appendixes at the end of the book entertaining and enlightening--so much so that I recommend beginning with them. I won't reveal any spoilers here, but "Famous Quotes and Questions from First Dates That Make You Think (or Shout,) Check Please!" is amusing and the title is quite fitting. The second appendix is a glossary of terms and definitions. After the author referenced it a few times at the beginning of the book, I read both appendixes. I was glad I did, as I found both insightful, and some of the glossary term meanings weren't obvious from their names.

What I liked least about the book was an inconsistency I noted. From accurately describing your physical appearance to being upfront and truthful regarding what you are looking for in a relationship, the author repeatedly stresses being honest throughout the book. Additionally, he warns readers how to read between the lines to spot daters who are less than forthcoming. So, I was disappointed by his admission in the fourth chapter, "The Numbers Game," when he admitted to being dishonest when women inquire about the number of dates he has been on. He resorted to this after being called a player for answering honestly and wrote, "Finally I decided to always answer a dozen or so over the past year--this was the only area in which I was dishonest, but I figured it was my business anyway." I found the end justifies the means mentality inconsistent with the rest of the book.

Even so, the one inconsistency did not hinder my overall enjoyment of the book. Additionally, it was exceptionally edited and without errors. I'm pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who are interested in learning more about online dating from the male perspective. It will also appeal to those who are seeking advice for navigating the websites.

Ladies, Read This First
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

It is an accepted premise that men don't/can't/won't understand women, but as a wife of 30+ years and mother of grown sons, I still can't say I understand the male outlook in most situations. A book like this one should be helpful and informative for those ladies navigating the on-line dating waters, and your thoughtful review leads me to believe that it is also readable and enjoyable.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I'm married so I'm not too interested, but I think this book would be great if I was single. It seems like it has some pretty interesting stuff in there. Thanks for the review!
:tiphat:
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

This sounds like a fun book to read! I'm the mother of many sons and I have a friend who is looking into online dating, so it's caught my attention. Plus I love to laugh. Also, I enjoy noticing the differences in novels written by women and those written by men; this sounds like it will fit perfectly with that interest.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

It sounds like fun. The author may have gone through adventures while writing this one. You have provided a thorough review!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds like fun :) I will definitely have a look!
Thanks, Cecilia, I loved this review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Nezianya Benjamin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nezianya Benjamin »

What a nice book for singles, and those going into online dating..very fun
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This is clearly not the book for me because I've gone past this stage several decades ago when the web hasn't reached its present societal usage levels yet. However, if it's quite as well-founded and well-written as you've made it seem, I should say that it's a relevant, insightful, and fun read for today's younger adults. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This seems like a really humorous, short read. I'm married and happily at that, but it still might be worth reading just for the fun of it. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I appreciate a humorous and a witty writing style. Being happily married, I would read it for the fun of it, though. Thanks for the great review Cecilia. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 01:33 It is an accepted premise that men don't/can't/won't understand women, but as a wife of 30+ years and mother of grown sons, I still can't say I understand the male outlook in most situations. A book like this one should be helpful and informative for those ladies navigating the on-line dating waters, and your thoughtful review leads me to believe that it is also readable and enjoyable.
Caylie, the book definitely provided helpful insights into the dilemma you mentioned. Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 01:36 I'm married so I'm not too interested, but I think this book would be great if I was single. It seems like it has some pretty interesting stuff in there. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Amanda Deck wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 01:44 This sounds like a fun book to read! I'm the mother of many sons and I have a friend who is looking into online dating, so it's caught my attention. Plus I love to laugh. Also, I enjoy noticing the differences in novels written by women and those written by men; this sounds like it will fit perfectly with that interest.
Sounds like one you'll enjoy. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nusrat_Shabnam_ wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 02:07 It sounds like fun. The author may have gone through adventures while writing this one. You have provided a thorough review!
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 03:55 This sounds like fun :) I will definitely have a look!
Thanks, Cecilia, I loved this review.
It is, Bianka! Thank you for your kind comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”