Review by MalMartin -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Out...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MalMartin
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malmartin.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by MalMartin -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Out...

Post by MalMartin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's" by Mark L. Wdowiak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Out Of Your But’s: A No-Nonsense Guide to Happiness and Success by Mark L. Wdowiak is a self-help book that focuses on success and how that is different for everyone. The book is broken up into three different sections: Crawling, Walking, and Running. Each section must be understood before you can go to the next one. As I read the book, I learned what mindset I needed for each section. In Crawling, I accepted responsibility for myself. In Walking, I took control of my thinking. In Running, I acted.

One thing that I noticed from the sections is the use of the word “you” in describing all of them. You is a word Mark uses in justified abundance. In the first section, Mark uses it so much that he creates “New You.” A “New You” is a term he uses to describe “…a sum total of everything you have ever experienced up until this exact moment.” I like that he pointed this out because it helped me realize that I am an updated version of myself. Just like Mark’s amazing flow with sentence structure, I am forever evolving and connecting to things.

This leads to the second section, Walking, where the updated version of yourself starts to become aware of its own thoughts. This is extremely important! Mark, just as much as anybody else, knew that awareness was necessary for growth. However, Mark realized that this awareness wasn’t automatic. You have to work for it! I love how Mark brings up work and how no one wants to work. Work is something people complain about all the time. Even so, I believe that changing your thoughts is one of the hardest things to do. As Mark stated, “your emotions come from your feelings, and your feelings come from your thoughts.”

Once you learn to control your thoughts, the last section, Running, starts. In this section you act. It sounds simple, but Mark points out that a lot of people have trouble with it. What he points out is that You are not entitled to success. Success is something that is earned and it all stems from how much time and energy you put into it. This is just one of the many examples of Mark’s tough love advice. He was just honest and if you didn’t like it, you suck it up. Life is about dealing with things you don’t like. If you cannot handle tough love advice then do not read this book.

While I did enjoy the book, I did not agree with everything Mark said about life. A lot of the advice he gives is general and can be applied to your life in just about anyway possible. The advice that was less general was where I disagreed with the most. For example, in one part of the book he states that, “I believe that you were meant to find this information.” While this sounds nice I do not agree, because I do not believe in destiny. I believe that I made myself read this book by choice.

Overall, I would rate this 4 out of 4 stars. This isn’t my first self help book, nor will it be the last. The advice was not self-righteous, but humbling and thoughtful. There were only a few typos. It had just the right amount of tough love, compassion, and wisdom to get the rating it deserved. I was not bored and his blending of ideas and exquisite use of flow in sentences made this an easy read. Anyone in any age range could read this and look at success in a new view.

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MalMartin's review? Post a comment saying so!
UcPeak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by UcPeak »

Thanks I found your review very helpful however, I want to agree with the writer. If you are not meant to find that information, you simply wouldn't desire reading the book. I'll download to have a full grasp of its content.
MalMartin

Post by MalMartin »

UcPeak wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 15:35 Thanks I found your review very helpful however, I want to agree with the writer. If you are not meant to find that information, you simply wouldn't desire reading the book. I'll download to have a full grasp of its content.
Thanks for the comment! I always find it interesting how people see things so differently. I hope you like the book! It is a fun and short read.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I love the title of this book. I only wish there was a PDF of it. It's nice that the author has a sense of humor. Thanks for the review.
:tiphat:
MalMartin

Post by MalMartin »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 11:33 I love the title of this book. I only wish there was a PDF of it. It's nice that the author has a sense of humor. Thanks for the review.
I know how you feel! There are many books on this website I would like to read, but can't due to them not being in files I can read. Thanks for the comment!
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

Your review is nice! I would love to read this book at least based on your review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Your review is very thorough. I now understand the book better. It's good the advise was not self-righteous. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not a big fan of self-help books. But I enjoyed your great review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
MalMartin

Post by MalMartin »

Cotwani wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 15:12 Your review is very thorough. I now understand the book better. It's good the advise was not self-righteous. Great review!
Yeah, I understand you on that one. I hate reading a self-help book if the author is self-righteous.
MalMartin

Post by MalMartin »

Nusrat_Shabnam_ wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 09:46 Your review is nice! I would love to read this book at least based on your review!
Thank you for the reply! I am glad my review helped you!
MalMartin

Post by MalMartin »

Sushan wrote: 06 Dec 2018, 02:26 I am not a big fan of self-help books. But I enjoyed your great review. Thank you 👍👍
I understand. Self-help books aren't for everyone. Thank you for stopping by! I am glad you liked my review!
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

I am a glutton for self help books! I am not sure what it is, possibly my type A personality, but I am forever trying to make myself a better person. I love that Wdowiak walks you through the different steps to get to the end product you desire. I like that you have to understand and implement each section before you are capable of truly understanding and making use of the next section. Thanks so much for the review! I'll be picking this book up soon because if it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”