Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
Muhammadnasir
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Post by Muhammadnasir »

I love this book, and because of the fact that the book can still be retouch, and get grammatical errors corrected, I would recommend it to others.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

While I have yet to read this book, the cover art makes me very interested in giving it a read. It seems to have very well-developed characters, which is always a big plus for me. However, I may get thrown off by the grammatical errors that others have found in this book. I'd still give it a try, though.
Robinson silver20+
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Robinson silver20+ »

I have not started reading it, but mere looking at the cover page and the tittle I guess its trying to unfold some mystery about fear and how to fight it. I can't wait to start reading it because I can win against fear because its kill
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 11:13 I rated this book two out of four stars.
I didn't love it.
I was, unfortunately, bored through a lot of it. At least I came away from it knowing EXTENSIVE information about Port Jefferson, which I doubt I will ever use in my life.
I found it hilarious at the beginning of the book when two characters (with busy schedules) were trying to make time to go on a date. In order to do so, they met for coffee to see when they were available and to sort out their schedules.
Oh my, this is hilarious! I wonder if they met for tea to see when they were available to meet up to sort out their schedules. :lol:
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

gen_g wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 02:07
Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 11:13 I rated this book two out of four stars.
I didn't love it.
I was, unfortunately, bored through a lot of it. At least I came away from it knowing EXTENSIVE information about Port Jefferson, which I doubt I will ever use in my life.
I found it hilarious at the beginning of the book when two characters (with busy schedules) were trying to make time to go on a date. In order to do so, they met for coffee to see when they were available and to sort out their schedules.
Oh my, this is hilarious! I wonder if they met for tea to see when they were available to meet up to sort out their schedules. :lol:
:lol2: :lol2: By the time they got to their date, I think they both needed tequila!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

ObsessedBookNerd wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 11:23 My overall opinion of the book is that it's not for me. I don't like horror, murder mysteries, kidnapping, or police procedures. I did like the set up of the story, the flow/writing style and how the author used actual places in the story. I am from Connecticut and Bridgeport, Connecticut is a real place. It is a place that I don't usually go to because a lot of bad stuff/crime happens there. I would recommend this book if someone ask me to refer them to a book in this genre.
I think this book is not for me as i also dont like crime fiction. Thanks a lot for an honest review.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

The Face of Fear by RJ Torbert is now in my reading list and I'm looking forward to knowing who kidnapped Debbie Lance and why. As I wrote in my Nov. 3, 2018 post, when I first encountered this as Book of the Day, there are several streams of narrative that would grip the readers and eventually converge into a climax: Who is masterminding the kidnapping? Why was Debbie kidnapped? What will happen on the day the ransom money is dropped off? How will a related but separate murder affect the investigation of the crime and the operations to find and rescue Debbie?

My first impressions of the book are as follows: "The action comes right in chapter 1 with the kidnapping of Debbie Lance, the daughter of a multi-millionaire. Her abduction is written from her perspective -- as she is experiencing it -- and then the book shifts to the perspective of her father and the police investigators. In other crime novels, the details of the crime are discussed after the fact - after the crime has been committed - or from the point of view of crime scene investigators to heighten the mystery and suspense of the story. But in The Face of Fear, readers would even get a glimpse of the kidnappers in the first few chapters. There's a scene wherein they talk about what to do next after a newspaper article posits a theory on the kidnapping. The author Torbert obviously has more than one ammunition in his narrative. First, there is the mystery over who is masterminding the kidnapping. We get to see the abductors in the early chapters but not the mastermind. Second, this is a ransom kidnapping so the suspense builds up to the day of the money drop-off. And of course, the police pursuit of the criminals is another source of tension. Lastly, there's going to be a murder in the first few chapters just as the police investigation into Debbie's kidnapping intensifies.

"In the opening chapters, the author devotes some time to the backstories of the major characters. That is to be expected. But a considerable portion is about the characters' affection for a restaurant where they usually hang out. That may be a drag to some readers who would like a crime novel focused on the crime. But all in all, the first few chapters are able to build up to subsequent chapters as they should."
malook
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by malook »

Overall i like the book except for the little errors experienced which is nothing to do with the content rating it i would give it two stars out of four and i would gladly recommend it to others
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I loved the book and rated it 4 out of 4 stars. It was one of the best horror book that i've read in a while.
Bronie
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronie.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Bronie »

I've started reading it, and the grammatical errors threw me off a bit. It does drag along but I'm hoping in the end, I'll enjoy it.
Currently Reading: Terror In Manila
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by 0713878458 »

the cover of the book is interesting actually the book is good it helps us to coup with anxiatty
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I like the murder mysteries and thriller actions in this story of the following book. I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars if I got a chance to write the review of the book The Face of Fear.
Jude Uwaje
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-uwaje.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jude Uwaje »

The book seems mouth-watering and interesting to read. I love horror-related stories; it gives me the chills. Can't wait to lay my hands on it.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

Horror book is not my genre so I can't waste time reading it. So I pass it on.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

I've only managed to read a few pages, from that, I can adjudge that the character development is good and it need a little bit of editing.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”