Review by Shrabastee -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review by Shrabastee -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twins William and Emmy Cleary went missing at the age of two. William’s pets rescued him, but Emmy was nowhere to be found. Ten years later, Will is face-to-face with two translucent beings called Echoes inhabiting his childhood pets to keep him under surveillance.

Confused? Well, allow me to explain a bit more. At the time of each birth, a mirror-image of the child is also born. These see-through Echoes live in Echoland, separated from the Sound realm where we live. However, the destinies of a Sound and its Echo are entwined by the Law of Death. By this law, an Echo is compelled to die when its Sound dies. When the former king’s brother usurps the throne of Echoland, he wants the young prince out of the way. Since Will is the prince’s Sound, killing him will ensure the execution of the Echo by the Fortune-tellers and the Fate-sealers. Burdened with this terrible destiny, can Will find his way through Echoland, survive the devious plots, and assist his twin back to his family? Why does he steal the Royal Shekel, a coin that holds the key to all secrets? To know more of his quest, you have to read The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid.

As with many fantasy stories, this novel depended largely on the author’s world-building abilities. Tal Boldo, using her pen-name Dew Pellucid, rose to the challenge. Essentially a snow-covered see-through place with an abundance of crystal balls, Echoland comes to life as a mesmerizing magical world. Pellucid has taken care of even the minutest detail of the imposed laws of this world.

The descriptions are vivid, the imagery beautiful. The accompanying illustrations added a whole new level of depth to the magic of Echoland. The use of cool colors such as blue and green set the icy and mystical tone. The see-through appearance of the Echoes was evident in the translucent drawings. The gaping mouths of the Fate-sealers indicated the wordless agony they create in their victims. Those illustrations by Andy Simmons and Tal Boldo complemented the story with absolute perfection.

Pellucid set the pace right from the beginning without any preamble and steadily maintains it until the end. The entire novel is divided into 63 bite-sized chapters that make the read easier for the young adult generation.

As Will continues his exploration, we get to know more about the myths and fables of Echoland. The author allows the reader time to digest the new bits of information as they come. The plot includes several well-placed twists that add to the thrill.

However, my opinion of the book is not without complaints. For one thing, the characters seem flat and two-dimensional. Some of the pre-teen boys behave like whiny children. A few characters remained a mystery. Moreover, the flow of the dialogues was not always consistent or even coherent. You had to be extremely attentive to grasp the context, especially when the boys were making plans of their quest. Additionally, some of the action scenes lacked the sense of urgency and failed to captivate me.

Considering the above-mentioned points, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. A couple of very minor mistakes did not detract from the reading experience. I heartily recommend this novel to young adult readers who love fantasy stories. However, the adults who do not mind a bit of magic in their books will equally enjoy this novel.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

The book had many loose ends. I had to reread many passages to get them correctly as they were densely packed with alot of info at times. The author paid a lot of attention to the echo world and less to the characters that made it a annoying read. Thanks a lot for a good review ☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I'm an "adult who doesn't mind magic in the books I read" so this shouldn't be too far off from my reading list, indeed. The author's world-building flair is notable, too. Thank you for your descriptive review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Sounds like a great book with a few minor defects that I think I can overlook. Great review (like always of course!). Sounds like it has plots and subplots galore! Just this would be enough to get my attention: "Burdened with this terrible destiny, can Will find his way through Echoland, survive the devious plots, and assist his twin back to his family?"
Shrabastee Chakraborty

fernsmom wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 10:28 Sounds like a great book with a few minor defects that I think I can overlook. Great review (like always of course!). Sounds like it has plots and subplots galore! Just this would be enough to get my attention: "Burdened with this terrible destiny, can Will find his way through Echoland, survive the devious plots, and assist his twin back to his family?"
Thanks Linda for your kind words (like always of course! Ha ha..). I do believe you will find this one very enjoyable!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Espie wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 05:37 I'm an "adult who doesn't mind magic in the books I read" so this shouldn't be too far off from my reading list, indeed. The author's world-building flair is notable, too. Thank you for your descriptive review.
Thanks for the comment, Esperanza! If so, I believe you will really enjoy this book! Certain occurrences in the book reminded me of the Harry Potter series, I would like to know if others also had this feeling!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Zimall wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 08:44 The book had many loose ends. I had to reread many passages to get them correctly as they were densely packed with alot of info at times. The author paid a lot of attention to the echo world and less to the characters that made it a annoying read. Thanks a lot for a good review ☺
I agree. The Echoland was imagined down to the smallest details, but the characters really could have done with a bit more elaboration! Thanks so much for commenting!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I also reviewed this one. I really liked the book. Your review is well written and thanks for the effort 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 10:27 I also reviewed this one. I really liked the book. Your review is well written and thanks for the effort 👍👍
Thank you for stopping by! I would like to read your opinion on this book as well!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Shrabastee wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 10:32
Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 10:27 I also reviewed this one. I really liked the book. Your review is well written and thanks for the effort 👍👍
Thank you for stopping by! I would like to read your opinion on this book as well!
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=89679

Here is my review. Please let me know what you think about it. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Wow! What an interesting plot. I wish I had ideas like this. Nice review. Waiting for the next one.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sunnyroyish wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 06:15 Wow! What an interesting plot. I wish I had ideas like this. Nice review. Waiting for the next one.
Thank you Sunny for the comment! The ideas are indeed awesome!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I agree with you that the action scenes lacked urgency. They failed to capture my attention as well. Thanks for the review!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 11:24 I agree with you that the action scenes lacked urgency. They failed to capture my attention as well. Thanks for the review!
Thanks Debjani for stopping by! Much appreciated!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I was captivated by your review until you started mentioning the loose ends. I hope the author nicely ties them up! Thanks for the enjoyable review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”