Review by Charlyt -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review by Charlyt -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Charlyt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the state of Alaska, lives the twelve-year-old boy Will Cleary. Ten years ago, he went missing with his twin sister Emmy. As it turns out, their disappearances were not uncommon as there are one thousand and seven worth of pages of names of people who have vanished. But out of those people, only Will was able to come back. His parents are still searching for his sister up to this day, but it seems that Will is the only one who holds the clues as to where they were taken when they disappeared. Deá the wolf, Damian the falcon, and a strange glowing plant accompanied him when he came back. One day, in the hopes of finding his lost sister, he plunged into the pond where they vanished years ago, only to find himself waking up in a completely different world and in an adventure that is bigger than what he expected.

The Crystilleries of Echoland is a fantasy novel written by Dew Pellucid. It is about a place that is different from our world, yet it is a realm that mirrors our own. Echoland is the place of Echoes. They are translucent beings that are duplicates of our people, which they call Sounds. Both Echoes and Sounds are in danger of being killed because of a law that was put up by a usurper. In this coming-of-age book, Will discovers why he was saved, and the position he is in to protect both races. Dew Pellucid is the pen name of Tal Boldo, and her “fortunerific” world of Echoland has been 12 years in the making.

From the start of reading the book, I can see that the author has thoroughly imagined and built the place of Echoland in detail. She has a clear vision of how her world looks like and how it differs from ours. The idea of having an Echo that is living in another realm where fortune tellers, magical crystals, and evil murdering creatures dwell is interesting and will surely attract young adult readers. The main characters are likable and it is easy to root for them to win. And as with any coming-of-age story, it is complete with a loyal best friend that is enjoyable and amusing to read. The book also has wonderful illustrations which aptly describe each chapter.

While Echoland was effectively described in the story, the narrative left me confused at times. The way the story was told felt bumpy rather than fluid, and I found myself rereading paragraphs to better grasp what was going on. It is like when a writer visits their world frequently that they know exactly what’s happening in the action, but falls short at looking at it from a reader’s point of view, who is new to their world. Nonetheless, the basic skeleton of the story is laid out well, and the plot is understandable. Some minor characters’ names were unusual (like Bog Slippery and Dartboard) which, somewhere down the story, were also confusing and I had to remind myself who specifically they were again.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I think the way the author delivers and describes the movement of the story can be improved but overall, it was a joy visiting Echoland. I would recommend this to young adult and older readers, who enjoy fantasy adventure books.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Charlyt's review? Post a comment saying so!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

It is like when a writer visits their world frequently that they know exactly what’s happening in the action, but falls short at looking at it from a reader’s point of view, who is new to their world.
Spot-on observation. While it can be frustrating to read a fantasy book where the world-building is done half-heartedly, it is even more frustrating to read a book where the author fails to completely immerse the reader in her fantasy world. Yet I will like to pin this to my TR list since the plot sounds interesting and novel. Thanks for the review!
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 08:37
It is like when a writer visits their world frequently that they know exactly what’s happening in the action, but falls short at looking at it from a reader’s point of view, who is new to their world.
Spot-on observation. While it can be frustrating to read a fantasy book where the world-building is done half-heartedly, it is even more frustrating to read a book where the author fails to completely immerse the reader in her fantasy world. Yet I will like to pin this to my TR list since the plot sounds interesting and novel. Thanks for the review!
Yes, definitely give it a go! The story is facinating enough to read on and finish. You're welcome!
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

A world that mirrors ours sounds fascinating. I wonder what happened to the rest of the vanished children. Are they adults now or do they remain like children? I like fantasy novels. This one seems to need a little bit more of work to be polished, but I can give it a try. Thanks for the honest review!
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Kalin Adi wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 12:00 A world that mirrors ours sounds fascinating. I wonder what happened to the rest of the vanished children. Are they adults now or do they remain like children? I like fantasy novels. This one seems to need a little bit more of work to be polished, but I can give it a try. Thanks for the honest review!
Echoland is an interesting world that the author created. Definitely give it a try, you will learn what happened to the children that vanished. You're welcome! :D
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

This sounds like it could be worth my time. Thank you for your review.
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Mouricia25 wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 01:42 This sounds like it could be worth my time. Thank you for your review.
I'm sure it would be. You're welcome! :D
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thanks for the honest review! I have also read and reviewed this book recently. I agree that 12 years' worth of imagination was able to present a very vivid description of the magical land, down to the minutest details. However, I also noticed the 'bumps' you mentioned, particularly in the boys' conversations. You had to pay rapt attention to get the context. Considering this, I also agreed on the same score as yours!
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Shrabastee wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 06:58 Thanks for the honest review! I have also read and reviewed this book recently. I agree that 12 years' worth of imagination was able to present a very vivid description of the magical land, down to the minutest details. However, I also noticed the 'bumps' you mentioned, particularly in the boys' conversations. You had to pay rapt attention to get the context. Considering this, I also agreed on the same score as yours!
Attention is definitely a must. It's a good book nonetheless. Thanks for your comment! :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”