Official Review: Satan's Sand by Edward Vogler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Satan's Sand by Edward Vogler

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Satan's Sand" by Edward Vogler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Satan's Sand: Tell the truth, you live. Tell a lie, you die. Worthy of its ominous subtitle, Edward Vogler's action-packed suspense follows agent Jay Wilson--code name Satan--on the CIA mission Twin Devils.

When CIA analyst James Wilson III (Jay) is unexpectedly summoned to a meeting at the Pentagon, the dinner date he anticipated with co-worker Tiffany Collins is put on hold. Despite Jay's protestations that others would be better suited for the mission, the Joint Chiefs and Chairman concur that his expertise in languages and unique background as the grandson of Russian former agent, Reanna, make him an ideal candidate. He is to travel to Libya to establish an automatic distribution of weapons, connect with, and eliminate radical General Abdul-Hussein Nayed before he strikes the US, who is suspected of amassing weapons of mass destruction. Jay's director, Tom Jennings, introduces him to Imam Rahman Hakeem. Though involved in smuggling arms in the Middle East, Tom insists that Hakeem can be trusted but instructs Jay not to mention the meeting at the agency. He is further alarmed by the two men’s lack of communication when Hakeem warns him not to stay at the hotel the agency arranges. Jay becomes doubtful of the agency’s backing and if he can really trust Director of Operations, Hawkins. Once in Tripoli, he checks in under his assumed Arabic name, proceeds with securing weapons, and contacts Tom to update his status. However, at the agency the following morning, Tom makes an announcement that Jay has gone rogue. Meanwhile, Tripoli is in turmoil under gunfire and grenades; General Nayed has been briefed on Jay's arrival, who still hasn't been contacted by The Walker, the ex-Special Forces agent assigned to assist him. When Jay learns from Tiffany that an Alpha Team has been instructed to stop or eliminate him and is heading his way, his mission becomes a race against time to survive while identifying his real enemies.

What I liked most about this book was witnessing the evolution of the characters through the pages. When the story began, Jay came across as arrogant and shallow, but as the plot developed, so did his character. His priorities shifted, and he realized that he had been guilty of isolating himself emotionally. There was also a reveal at the book's conclusion that shed light and created empathy for his character overall. I also appreciated Jay's feisty grandmother, a former agent. Though a minor character in this story, readers may also enjoy the book's prequel, Reanna Reloaded, featuring her and her husband as agents in 1950. Even so, Tiffany was the character who really stood out in this story. Females who are just another pretty face are a pet peeve of mine. After reading the following sentences that introduced Tiffany's character, I braced myself. "Her dimpled smile could melt anyone's heart. The V-neck Caribbean blue dress hugged her curves, too low for the office, but he loved it." However, as the story unfolded, I was pleasantly surprised by Tiffany's depth and strengths. In the chapters that followed, the author moved beyond her dimples and clingy clothing. Our girl Tiffany is also a cancer survivor who practices yoga, Tai Chi, and Wing Chun. More often than not, it was Tiffany who came to Jay's rescue and not just figuratively speaking.

On the other hand, the book's weakness was the tendency to incorrectly capitalize words, frequently writing common nouns as proper nouns. Additionally, in reference to the CIA, the word "agency" was spelled inconsistently throughout the book. "Agency car" and "agency car" were used interchangeably, depending on the page. Due to these errors and inconsistencies, it's my conclusion that the book wasn't professionally edited. Therefore, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

I recommend the book to readers who enjoy suspenseful adventures with a hint of romance. It is intended for a mature audience due to violence and one scene of an explicit nature.

Satan's Sand
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love when even minor characters make their way into your heart! I'm glad the author doesn't follow the stereotypical weak female type. Still, I'm just not sure I would enjoy this plot. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 16:56 I love when even minor characters make their way into your heart! I'm glad the author doesn't follow the stereotypical weak female type. Still, I'm just not sure I would enjoy this plot. Thanks, though.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting. :tiphat:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I like the character development in this book. It has a interesting plot. I also the introduction of Tiffany and how strong she was. I'm definitely going to read this one. Thanks for yet another insightful review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Wow, this plot sounds like it’s pretty intense! Still, you’ve done the book justice by your thorough review and you seem to have really enjoyed it, in spite of the errors. I enjoyed your summary and the comments which follow. Many thanks.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I love a good suspense novel with a dose of romance, and this one sounds like a cracker!
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

This sounds action packed. I like that the female character becomes more than an accessory. That is one of my petpeeves as well. Thanks.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I actually laughed when you mentioned that you had to brace yourself as the description of the female character began. I totally know that experience when it comes to reading a book that makes a woman’s worth all about her physical form. What a nice surprise it took a turn for the better! With the errors you mentioned, it sounds not so fun to read at the moment. Hopefully, that will all get cleaned up. Great review once again!
Everything happens for a reason...
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

T_stone wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 01:40 I like the character development in this book. It has a interesting plot. I also the introduction of Tiffany and how strong she was. I'm definitely going to read this one. Thanks for yet another insightful review.
Thanks for your kind comments. Hope you enjoy the book!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sonya01 wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 01:54 Wow, this plot sounds like it’s pretty intense! Still, you’ve done the book justice by your thorough review and you seem to have really enjoyed it, in spite of the errors. I enjoyed your summary and the comments which follow. Many thanks.
Thank you, Sonya.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Julie Green wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 02:41 I love a good suspense novel with a dose of romance, and this one sounds like a cracker!
Thanks for your comment, Julie.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

TJanowski23 wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 08:00 This sounds action packed. I like that the female character becomes more than an accessory. That is one of my petpeeves as well. Thanks.
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

cpru68 wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 02:06 I actually laughed when you mentioned that you had to brace yourself as the description of the female character began. I totally know that experience when it comes to reading a book that makes a woman’s worth all about her physical form. What a nice surprise it took a turn for the better! With the errors you mentioned, it sounds not so fun to read at the moment. Hopefully, that will all get cleaned up. Great review once again!
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

This book sounds utterly fabulous! Despite the grammar errors, I'm very excited to pick it up! I love strong female characters, and it's so easy to write them as leads, but to add them as secondary characters can be difficult. I'm so glad that the author managed to do that with two separate characters here! Both Tiffany and Reanna sound like awesome additions to the character of Jay. I love action thrillers, so this book sounds great. Thanks for the read and review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”