Official Review: All Good Things by Rosemary Reeve

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: All Good Things by Rosemary Reeve

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "All Good Things" by Rosemary Reeve.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A missing person, betrayal, and multiple murders set the stage for Rosemary Reeve's gripping suspense, All Good Things: A Jack Hart Mystery, the first book in a four-part series. The story takes place in 1990s Seattle, and Jack must unravel the mystery without the assistance of current technology.

Jack Hart describes his close friend and colleague, Harmony Piper, as considerate, direct, and responsible, not someone who fails to show up for work at Piper Whatcom & Hardcastle--the law firm where they both practice--without notifying anyone. As one of the last people to see Harmony the previous night, Jack is alarmed when he discovers a small blood stain in her office. Despite Jack's concerns, the police don't get involved until Harmony's father, a former managing partner at the law firm, is discovered murdered. Harmony becomes a suspect in her father's murder, while the police are suspicious of Jack regarding her disappearance. Jack's history with one of the investigating officers deepens his involvement in the case. As the story unfolds, and Jack follows the trail leading to Harmony's disappearance, more questions arise. How is Harmony's disappearance connected to the murders? Can they find her before it's too late?

Told from the first-person narrative by Jack, this well-written mystery moves at a fast pace. Reeve masterfully weaves twists and turns involving the main story with their connection to Jack's backstory. She balances teasers with more significant plot reveals in a way that kept me guessing until the very end. As the first book in a four-part series, the book stands on its own and doesn't leave any loose ends. However, there is just enough of a hint of what's yet to come to entice the reader to read the rest of the series.

The plot is propelled by a cast of well-developed characters, which is the book's strength. Jack, as the protagonist is likable and relatable--even more so as the reader learns about the past he has worked so hard to overcome. Additionally, Reeve does a wonderful job of portraying missing person Harmony's strong female character solely through Jack's perspective. The supporting characters were equally well-developed, including Jack's unusual dog, Betsy. Though man and dog are still adjusting to living together, they share a special bond which is revealed over the course of the book.

There was a lot going on in this page-turning mystery, and I admired the way that Reeve maintained the suspense without any gaps or inconsistencies in the storyline. Her previous experience as an attorney at a large firm in Seattle lent authenticity to the complex mystery. As multiple layers were solved, the conclusions were believable but never predictable. In fact, I can't think of anything that I didn't like or can highlight for improvement. The book was professionally edited, as I noted only a single error. I'm pleased to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The book concludes with questions that make it ideal for book clubs. Additionally, I recommend it to mystery and suspense fans. It will also appeal to readers who enjoy legal thrillers.

All Good Things
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

A page turning msystery is a must read for me. Lovely review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

topdan30 wrote: 25 Nov 2018, 07:51 A page turning msystery is a must read for me. Lovely review.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

This was an excellent review. I love mysteries, especially ones thast keep you guessing to the end. This sounds like a story that I would enjoy.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Jsovermyer wrote: 25 Nov 2018, 17:31 This was an excellent review. I love mysteries, especially ones thast keep you guessing to the end. This sounds like a story that I would enjoy.
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love books where there is so much going on. The mystery is great, especially when you can't figure it out until the end. I'll add this to my list. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 25 Nov 2018, 19:14 I love books where there is so much going on. The mystery is great, especially when you can't figure it out until the end. I'll add this to my list. Thanks.
Thanks for your comment. I think you'll enjoy this one.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds great. Harmony Piper is an awesome name! After such a rave review, I assume you would look forward to the next two in the series?
Loved this review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 01:24 This sounds great. Harmony Piper is an awesome name! After such a rave review, I assume you would look forward to the next two in the series?
Loved this review :)
Yes, I am watching for them! Thank you, Bianka.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a great mystery. Makes me wonder what happened to Harmony. I like that Jack is a likeable character. Great review!
:tiphat:
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Mystery reads become all the more enjoyable when it becomes difficult to guess the end. This seems like such a read.

Thank you for the lovely review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 01:23 Sounds like a great mystery. Makes me wonder what happened to Harmony. I like that Jack is a likeable character. Great review!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Kajori50 wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 09:09 Mystery reads become all the more enjoyable when it becomes difficult to guess the end. This seems like such a read.

Thank you for the lovely review.
I agree, and yes, it is. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”