Official Review: 90 Days to Live

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: 90 Days to Live

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "90 Days to Live" by Rodney & Paige Stamps.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You are living your life as normal. You go to work. Come home. Have dinner with your family. Then, one day, you find a bump somewhere on your body. It doesn't worry you a lot. It's probably nothing. After all, you're fairly healthy, right? It's not long, though, before you start feeling really fatigued, and you just can't do what you used to. You can't ignore it any more. Something is wrong.

After the doctor runs his usual tests, he comes back with the dreaded diagnosis. You have cancer. He mentions to you that if you don't start chemotherapy right away, you only have about 90 days to live. No matter how toxic it was or how sick it made us, most would start the chemo right away.

In 90 Days to Live Rodney and Paige Stamps tell us their reaction to the cancer diagnosis. Rodney is diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma but chooses to seek an alternative to traditional treatments that don't even promise a cure but merely a prolonging of life.

What I loved most about this book is the conversational tone. It's like you're sitting down having tea with the Stamps while they tell you their life story. It isn't just about his diagnosis and treatment; we learn more about how they met, their lives before cancer and even their battle to keep their business afloat during the treatment. It made Rodney and Paige real to me, which makes the story that much more poignant.

We learn quite a bit about the protocol that Rodney ends up following to beat the cancer. However, if you are searching for a step by step guide, there's a better book for that. Dr. Kelley's treatment protocol can be found in a separate book. No, this is about Rodney and Paige, and it just happens to include his cancer.

The protocol is not traditional by any means of the word, which could be offensive to some. The Stamps don't mince words, and some of their opinions might come across as cynical or harsh. However, I am one for whom conventional medical wisdom failed. While I don't have cancer, I have explored alternative treatments of my own and found great success. So, rather than being turned off, I felt a camaraderie with Rodney and Paige. Some of their feelings resonated with me. Alternative treatments are not looked upon favorably by the medical community. In fact, the authors put it this way. "No one ever seemed to sue a doctor for injecting them with mustard gas, but if he were to suggest a change in diet along with pancreatic enzymes, he would face ridicule and ostracism from his peers—and possibly even jail time."

All in all, I eagerly looked forward to reading Rodney's story. It was well-written and edited, and I have no complaints. Therefore, I give 90 Days to Live a 4 out of 4 stars. It would be very inspirational for anyone with a cancer diagnosis, those who are a bit frustrated with the medical community or anyone who enjoys an inspirational success story. If you are one that feels that the medical community can do no wrong, you might want to skip this one.

90 Days to Live
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wow, this sounds like a story that could leave an impact on your life. I love when non-fiction books have a conversational and inviting tone; it definitely makes any book more enjoyable and readable. I'm glad you enjoyed this one and found it inspirational. Thank you for lovely review! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

hsimone wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 16:45 Wow, this sounds like a story that could leave an impact on your life. I love when non-fiction books have a conversational and inviting tone; it definitely makes any book more enjoyable and readable. I'm glad you enjoyed this one and found it inspirational. Thank you for lovely review! :)
Thank you for commenting. It definitely is one that will make you think. It is also about persevering and not giving up no matter your circumstances. So many good lessons.
—Neil Gaiman
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

I think this book could also br an inspiration even with those without a cancer. It shows how to face obstacles in life.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I was just looking into this subject. In a PubMed article it says,
"With excellent safety profiles, reduced toxicities, antioxidant properties, and general acceptance for use as dietary supplements, natural compounds are viewed as a desirable area of investigation for chemoprevention."

We've tried so hard to find more effective cures than the naturally occurring ones that didn't seem to do the job, but we're right back to them again. I don't know what to think about it. What really bothers me is that when someone develops something that DOES work, they're a hero...until the side effects show up. Not that they were known ahead of time, only time will tell in many cases. Then that same person is considered an evil demon from hell, out for only money, power, and fame. Do we really have to go back to tribal days?

I admit that I love success stories like this. They offer hope but...the ramifications are frightening.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I am interested in the better and safer alternatives to cancer, other than chemotherapy and radiation. I'm glad he was able to beat it. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Hhmmm... this story opens up a debate that has strong opinions looming on both sides, and I think it is a good thing. Firstly, the shock of being given such a final time-frame must be extremely daunting and cause one to swiftly re-evaluate every facet of one's life. Secondly, the minefield of consultations, diagnoses, and treatment protocols would be acutely bewildering - even to someone with medical experience. Hats off to the Stamps for being strong enough to follow their beliefs, and brave enough to share the journey - God bless! Thank you for the sensitive review.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

This book is one that I will probably pick up to read. Medical establishment failed me quite a few times (either through greed or doctor's ignorance with almost putting my life in jeopardy), so I've since been an adopter of alternative treatments (not only for cancer, but just generally for good health). I'm sure I'll be enjoying the story of Rodney.
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

Alternative medicine fascinates me as well. The medical community failed my son and since then we approach them with caution. I will definitely look into this book. Thanks!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

charmperit wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 21:04 I think this book could also br an inspiration even with those without a cancer. It shows how to face obstacles in life.
Absolutely! Also perseverance no matter your circumstances. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Amanda Deck wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 22:18 I was just looking into this subject. In a PubMed article it says,
"With excellent safety profiles, reduced toxicities, antioxidant properties, and general acceptance for use as dietary supplements, natural compounds are viewed as a desirable area of investigation for chemoprevention."

We've tried so hard to find more effective cures than the naturally occurring ones that didn't seem to do the job, but we're right back to them again. I don't know what to think about it. What really bothers me is that when someone develops something that DOES work, they're a hero...until the side effects show up. Not that they were known ahead of time, only time will tell in many cases. Then that same person is considered an evil demon from hell, out for only money, power, and fame. Do we really have to go back to tribal days?

I admit that I love success stories like this. They offer hope but...the ramifications are frightening.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. However, I do think that the pharmaceutical companies would rather you spend all your money on their drugs than trying something that doesn't make them any money...
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 00:30 I am interested in the better and safer alternatives to cancer, other than chemotherapy and radiation. I'm glad he was able to beat it. Thank you for the review!
There are definitely other options worth researching! Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 01:09 Hhmmm... this story opens up a debate that has strong opinions looming on both sides, and I think it is a good thing. Firstly, the shock of being given such a final time-frame must be extremely daunting and cause one to swiftly re-evaluate every facet of one's life. Secondly, the minefield of consultations, diagnoses, and treatment protocols would be acutely bewildering - even to someone with medical experience. Hats off to the Stamps for being strong enough to follow their beliefs, and brave enough to share the journey - God bless! Thank you for the sensitive review.
Very true. It's difficult with that looming in front of you to take the time to really do your research. But they were strong and stuck to their guns! Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kislany wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 07:10 This book is one that I will probably pick up to read. Medical establishment failed me quite a few times (either through greed or doctor's ignorance with almost putting my life in jeopardy), so I've since been an adopter of alternative treatments (not only for cancer, but just generally for good health). I'm sure I'll be enjoying the story of Rodney.
You would definitely enjoy this book then! Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

TJanowski23 wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 08:00 Alternative medicine fascinates me as well. The medical community failed my son and since then we approach them with caution. I will definitely look into this book. Thanks!
It's sad to see how many people the medical community has failed. Doctors aren't perfect; I think we all understand that. It's just too bad that so many times they won't consider any alternative treatments!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”