Review by lesler -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by lesler -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by lesler »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid, Will Cleary is an unusual 12-year-old. His twin sister Emily disappeared ten years ago, and the whole in his family's soul has been hard to fill. When Will discovers he needs to enter Echoland to find his sister, he has a pet wolf and falcon who help him on his mission. Experiencing dangers of all kinds, Will must persevere to find his sister and make his parents feel better.

In an eleven-day journey through Echoland, Will works with Echoes to fight against the Fate Sealers. Fate Sealers are determined to end Will's life, and his companions do what they can to keep their charge safe. Can Will survive this hazardous land? Can Will find his sister once and for all? If Will finds and saves his sister, can they make it out of Echoland? Only time will tell in this thrilling Young Adult fantasy.

In the book's conclusion, the author states that he took twelve years to conceptualize the world of Echoland. This was time well spent, as I absolutely loved this book. The imagery provided was vivid, and I felt well connected to the main characters. I enjoyed Will Clearly, but my favorite character had to be Poudini, Will's trusty dog who traveled with him through Echoland. Poudini stole the scene at times, which provided much joy. The book also provided excellent illustrations that aided in telling the story.

This storyline was engaging, and the writing flowed smoothly. I found myself reading through the book quickly, wanting desperately to read as much as possible each session. While a fantasy, there were realistic elements involved that made this story full of mystery. In the middle of the adventure, the author does an excellent job providing a moral lesson on diversity and acceptance. With this novel being classified as a young adult fantasy, this message is important for its audience. The author does a fantastic job engaging the readers of this book, and I look forward to finding anything else by Mr. Pellucid.

I give Crystilleries of Echoland 4 out of 4 stars, for its wonderful imagery, a wonderful set of characters, and smooth storyline. I recommend this book for a person of any age looking for their next wonderful fantasy novel, comparable to the likes of Harry Potter and the Chronicles of Narnia. Will is a likable and strong main character that is capable of captivating any reader.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Interesting. I'm trying to pick a book now, and nothing really jumps out at me. This is one of the contenders, but I wasn't exactly feeling it. Maybe I'm reading into it, but your review sounds like this was written for children...which might be fun after all.
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

Stories set in fantasy world always make it to a special place in readers' hearts. This sounds fascinating.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Thank you for your review. This seems like it could be a good book to read.
Elijah Tim
Currently Reading: The Riding Club Crime
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Elijah Tim »

It's interesting,and the name sounds good to read.i am going to read it.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have also read and reviewed this book, and agree with you that the vivid imagery and smooth story will definitely keep the readers captivated. Very good point about the author's message on diversity and acceptance. I also liked the way you summarized the complex storyline! Just a minor point, that is Tal Boldo is a female author.
Funny that you should mention Harry Potter. While I was reading the book, I obtained a distinct impression that the occurrences in Echoland had some similarities with Potterverse. I really wanted to know if other readers have also found such similarities?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”